PDA

View Full Version : Final Table Mistake?

09-24-2005, 06:24 AM
I think I did the right thing, but I'm not entirely sure. In this situation, I am at the final table of a cheap buyin of a 15 or so player tournament, there are about 7 of us left. No limit Texas Hold'em. My opponent has gone all in on the flop. To call leaves me with about 10% tops of my chips.

I have:
A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop is:
Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Well what happened was, I called. I figure I had the nutflush and a gutshot straight draw, not to mention the chance for the royal flush itself.

But he had A/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Unfortunately, the turn and river were:
6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

Did I, in theory, do the right thing?

applejuicekid
09-24-2005, 06:27 AM
What are the stack sizes and what is the payout structure?

splashpot
09-24-2005, 06:29 AM
Also, give the exact action preflop and on the flop. And how high are the blinds. Stack sizes.

09-24-2005, 06:38 AM
You are basically a coinflip to win the pot after the flop (somewhere between 45% and 48% I think).

I'm usually very aggressive in this spot if I'm first to act--- the rockets then come over the top all-in and it's not even a debate whether to call or not.

The exact action and stack-sizes are important. Most likely you made your mistake preflop.

09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Preflop play:
I'm in midposition, I believe he was in the small blind. Everyone checked or folded. Blinds were at 50/100 chips, which was roughly 1/14th of his chips, 1/15th of my chips. Payout is 3rd place breaks even, second place doubles up, 1st place takes the rest. Put another way, about 6% for 3rd, 12% for second, and the remaining 82% for first. I had a strong feeling that no one else remaining would call, and no one else did. Winning the hand would've put me in a solid second place for the current chip-count at the time.

Edit: Other details, 2 players that I had little experience observing (As we spent most of the time at different tables), were to my left. One of which was fairly shortstacked and the other was the chip leader with a very commanding lead.

applejuicekid
09-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Did you raise preflop? Or did you just call? How many chips did he have? And what happened on the flop? He just pushed all in? Sorry, I have no idea what is going on here to give any input on the hand.

If he just straight out pushed after you raised preflop, I think it is a good call.