PDA

View Full Version : "kids" tournaments?

grapes
05-11-2003, 10:56 PM
I was looking through WSOP results so far this year, saw the seniors and women's events, and it gave me an idea. Why no "kids" tournaments, for the younger players who want to play in the bigger tournaments, but may be intimidated by a field full of pros where virtually everyone has more experience than them?

I'm not sure what the best age limit for this would be, maybe 21-25 (or younger for the major tournaments in areas where the gambling age is lower). 30 is probably too high, maybe somewhere between 25 and 30. It would be nice to just have a decent-sized amateur tournament, but it's impossible to define or verify amateur status.

Being a 22 year old, fairly serious poker player, I would be really excited to see a WSOP event for younger players only. Buyin would probably be relatively small for the WSOP, maybe $1000. Even if the WSOP wouldn't do it, why not at least one of the other major events?

Is there a market for an event like this? I've never seen one, but has anyone else seen anything like this? Would there be any logistical barriers for the cardroom? I don't see why there would be a problem if they can run seniors events. Something like this could do wonders for generating interest in poker from this age group, many of whom would become lifetime poker players.

Anyone know who I could contact to try and get this implemented?