PDA

View Full Version : flopped straight w/ 3 flush card on board

Hawkeye27
05-11-2003, 10:22 PM
2/4 loose passive online game

4 limpers to me in small blind with black QK, I call, BB checks, 6 see the flop.

Flop A J 10. WOOHOO!!, oops they're all hearts.

I check, checked to MP who bets, 2 callers to me, I call, BB raises, everyone calls.

Turn is another 10

I bet out and we lose a couple, 4 see the river

River is another J

Everyone checks and BB takes it down w/ 3/5 of hearts.

What a mess, I dont know if I played this horribly or if I lost the minimum. How the hell should I play this??

bernie
05-11-2003, 11:13 PM
one thing that really helps is knowing what these players may bet on this type of board.

some boards that freeze fish....in a general sense

A high: the A is like a cruxifix to a vampire to em. they may call with a hiss, but they wont bet or raise unless they can beat it.

paired board: theyll be afraid of someone having it. usually wont bet it until the turn if they do. one of their favorite plays

flush board: will slow em down. many wont bet a draw, much less raise with it unless they have it

that said, some will crank it out on a draw. especially the nut draw. so the first thing to look for is whether one of these players would bet or raise with the draw. then go from there.

the turn card here froze the flush as it paired the board. here again, some wont jam a set on this flop. (i would /forums/images/icons/wink.gif) because theyll think because theyre behind they cant jam it.
but the flush is in call down mode. unless a 4th flush card hits. then the baby flush may be gone for a bet.

i wouldve checked the turn here. any signifigant action and you can fold.

you didnt lose much more than i wouldve. maybe just on the turn. but i may have called a single bet there depending on who was betting

again, knowing your opponents bet standards on certain boards helps

for example...

the other day on the penny table..

board was (5d 6d 9d) Js 8d

i had a Kd

on the river it was 2 bets to me. knowing the idiots i was playing with, i 3 bet. they called and i took it down. it's not often i run into players i can do that against. yet there are some players i wouldve folded to, and some id just call. here i had to take both bettors into account. and i knew they would bet with far more hands that i could beat than the other way. told ya they were idiots /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

b

Hawkeye27
05-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the response bernie. My thought on the turn bet was "at least now I'll know where I am" and can feel pretty good about folding to a raise. When none came I was going to bet the river untill the board paired again. Each street was exasperating in this hand, and I dont usually find myself in those situations.

bernie
05-11-2003, 11:47 PM
"My thought on the turn bet was "at least now I'll know where I am" and can feel pretty good about folding to a raise."

did you know where you were at after you bet the turn and before the river card came after everyone called? i dont think this is a good spot for an info-bet. maybe, maybe if the board didnt pair, but even then i would do it sparingly. again, boards like these are player dependent. remember, they also have to react to the paired board. it wasnt your bet that scared them into calling. they were likely going to just call a bet regardless of who bet.

b