PDA

View Full Version : Nas

sublime
09-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Dont have any of his stuff in my small collection, which I figure is a mistake. Which albulm should I get? Or, since I use Itunes I can pick tracks etc.

Help

David04
09-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Start with Illmatic and Stillmatic.

DaveKForty7
09-23-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start with Illmatic and Stillmatic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call.

newhizzle
09-23-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Start with Illmatic and it was written .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

unreal_nh
09-23-2005, 09:08 PM
i stole "it was written" from walmart when i was about 12 years old.. it was the first time heard anything by him and i instantly became hooked. all his cd's are great but i would recommend 'it was written' and 'stillmatic'

newhizzle
09-23-2005, 09:14 PM
dont bother with any of the crap in between it was written and stillmatic, first 2 by far the best then recent(stillmatic and after) is good too

shant
09-23-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stillmatic

[/ QUOTE ]

siccjay
09-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Illmatic, Stillmatic, and It Was Written are the norm.

I am.. has plenty of good tracks though.

Hate Me Now
Small World
Favor for a Favor
We Will Survive
Life is What You Make It
Money is My Bitch
Undying Love <~~~ could possibly be my favorite Nas song ever.

09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
From Illmatic: New York State of Mind, Halftime, The World is Yours. The Album intro, hate me now, small world, favor for a favor, all from I am. Nastradamus - shoot 'em up is a classic. Personal favorites obviously hate me now - gets you so pumped, halftime and the album intro. Enjoy...

nothumb
09-23-2005, 10:19 PM
In order of preference I would say Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic. Street's Disciple is mostly mediocre. The Lost Tapes is a good mix of older B-sides and underground stuff.

Nas is in my top 3 rappers of all time, probably would be even if he only released those three albums I mentioned. Illmatic is my favorite but I find that It Was Written is more guaranteed to do it for a lot of people. Some people really can't get into Illmatic because it's pretty sparse, has a much different feel.

Particular tracks you could sample might include:

NY State of Mind, One Time for Your Mind, It Ain't Hard to Tell (all from Illmatic)

I Gave You Power, Watch Dem Niggas, The Message, If I Ruled the World (all from It Was Written ... god this album is good)

EDIT: And some other tracks you definitely need to hear if you haven't are "Nas is Like," "Nastradamus," etc. Kind of assumed you knew these though.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Illmatic and Stillmatic are classics. It Was Written and God's Son are good albums. I am and Streets Desciple are meh, and Nastradamus sucks.

That being said, The Lost Tapes get a lot of props, but I have not heard it.

Sooga
09-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Like Jay-Z says about Nas, and with which I happen to agree:

'Four albums in ten years nigga? I can divide
That's one every let's say two, two of them shits was due
One was - NAHHH, the other was "Illmatic"
That's a one hot album every ten year average'

Anyway, I was never a fan of 'It Was Written'. And TSC, definitely check out 'Lost Tapes'. I like it just as much as Illmatic.

lucas9000
09-23-2005, 11:20 PM
start with illmatic.

A_C_Slater
09-23-2005, 11:33 PM
At the end of the movie 8 mile... that beat they play at the end when he "battles" Papa Doc is from a Nas song, right?

If so, what is the name of that song and the album it is on?

nothumb
09-23-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the end of the movie 8 mile... that beat they play at the end when he "battles" Papa Doc is from a Nas song, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this was "Shook Ones" by Mobb Deep, I'm pretty sure.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2005, 11:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]yes....I think so...actually, isn't it "Shook Ones" (part 2) or something?

Ill song.

nothumb
09-23-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes....I think so...actually, isn't it "Shook Ones" (part 2) or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, way better than the original too.

NT

A_C_Slater
09-23-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Here in Detroit there's this certain radio station that allows plays this beat in the background when gving a traffic report or concert info/prize packages, etc.

But they never play the song it's from! It's really pissing me off, and I have to buy it now.

nothumb
09-23-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here in Detroit there's this certain radio station that allows plays this beat in the background when gving a traffic report or concert info/prize packages, etc.

But they never play the song it's from! It's really pissing me off, and I have to buy it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a sick song, you really have to check out some old Mobb Deep. Get "Quiet Storm" too.

NT

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes....I think so...actually, isn't it "Shook Ones" (part 2) or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, way better than the original too.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]yes. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Taraz
09-24-2005, 04:41 AM
Nobody else likes The Lost Tapes?

dibbs
09-24-2005, 04:43 AM
Illmatic by far far far and away.

Lost Tapes and Stillmatic goot too.

smokingrobot
09-24-2005, 04:47 AM
illmatic.

applejuicekid
09-24-2005, 05:06 AM
LOST TAPES!

ILLMATIC!

And if nothing else get Verbal Intercourse.