PDA

View Full Version : I need a break

pufferfish
05-11-2003, 03:25 PM
Micro-limit, typical loose/passive.

I’m 2UTG with Jh Jc.

Folded to me, I call (boo-hiss). EMP calls. LMP raises. BB, me and EMP call.
Only four see the flop - unusual.

FLOP: [ 4c 7h 5s ]

Checked to PFR (LMP) who raises and we all call.

TURN: [ 4c 7h 5s ] [ 2h ]

Flop redux: Checked to PFR (LMP) who raises and we all call.

RIVER: [ 4c 7h 5s 2h ] [ 9h ]

I gonna check-raise, but it’s too late. It’s checked all around.
I admit I missed a bet here. But, it’s actually the only part of my play I truly regret.

BB shows Qd 3h.
EMP shows 4s 3d .
LMP shows As Kh.

You’re probably shaking your head, saying there goes puffer again with the call, call, and call. On the other hand, four of us saw the river (where I missed a bet!) and it wasn’t that bad a pot.

I’m not trying to complain or anything, I just thought this was an interesting (if totally typical) showdown. It actually helped me feel better about some of the beats I’ve (we’ve all) taken lately. I've definitely got to grow some thicker skin!

Happy Mother’s Day!
pf

Louie Landale
05-11-2003, 09:30 PM
call-call-call works pretty good with a draw or a weak hand that won't drive better hands out. call-call-call also works pretty good if you are playing SQUEAKY tight and are up against assertive folk who don't notive you never turn over a pair of 9s.

It doesn't work when you have clearly the best hand. Waiting for the river to raise is a relative disaster since you are giving away far too many free/cheap cards.

Mom is right: bet 'em when you've got 'em.

- Louie

pufferfish
05-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks Louie.

I think it’s time to take a break and re-read my books. I’m letting the outcome from previous hands (tough beats) influence how I play the current hand.

Also, I’ve been playing some higher limits and really trying to do everything right. But sometimes I’m just lost and don’t know what to do (not talking about this hand, but some situations at these so-called higher limits ($2/$4 and $3/$6 online).

Thank you for replying.
pf

Bob T.
05-11-2003, 10:24 PM
The way you played it, if I counted them correctly, you have about 19 outs for your hand on the river. Each of your 3 opponents has a share of the other 21 outs. By eliminating any of those opponents, you are going to increase your chance of winning the pot by about 1/3 for each one you eliminate. Which would you rather have, an additionaly 1/6 equity in this pot, or 1 big bet. You have to make a raise somewhere to make these guys make a decision about whether or not to continue, or, if you win the pot, to make it bigger. Not betting or raising anywhere on this hand is silly.

pufferfish
05-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks Bob T.

Right now I’m not even sure why I posted this hand let alone why I played it the way I did. Perhaps I wanted to say, look at all the chasers, how can I possibly win!

Hogwash! For what it’s worth, I’m back in 2+2 mode, except for that penchant I have for bluffing. But that’s an art I’m trying to develop, LOL.

Thank you for replying,
pf

bernie
05-11-2003, 11:30 PM
preflop...raise

raise the flop or turn. id have done the flop

if youre afraid of getting sucked out on because it's been happening alot lately, why help make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. youre 'asking' to be sucked out on playing this way. youre helping them play correctly post flop against you here.

it's one thing to tighten up a little, but it's another to miss sound tactical plays that should in the arsenal even if you are tightened up preflop.

what next? turning a nut str8 and not betting because the flush draw may get there? (i have actually seen this happen. amazed the hell out of me too) sorry about the exaggeration, but you get the point...how much are you going to give up in your play?

youre better than this

id take a break and clear the cobwebs and get your balls back. we've all had to at one time or another, so youre not the only one to ever do it.

til next time...

b

Nottom
05-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Pre-flop: I think I would probably bust out a good 'ol limp re-raise here to see where I stand in this pot if I was foolish enough to limp with my very vulnerable hand to begin with.

Flop: cool you have a nice overpair, time to get some bets in. Check to the raiser and ... oops you forgot to raise here when it came back.

Turn: I get it now, you were slowplaying and wanted to get in the big bet. Well you got lucky and still no overcards, time to make them pay. Ummm ... i think you forgot to raise again here.

River: Hmm, everyone is still here. Wonder if PFR actually has the big pair? If he does your probably in trouble, if he doesn't he will probably slow down here since most people tend to raise with cards > 9. So time to bet out and make sure to get that bet in. Oops checked again.

Luckily they didn't hit one of their 19 outs to beat you this hand even though you gave them every opportunity.

pufferfish
05-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Thanks bernie,

I don’t know man, I took a brutal beating last night and freaked. Sorry. I really do need to take a break and get "more than poker" in perspective.

Oh man, I am so human. I don’t mean that as a cop out, it’s just so true.

Ha ha, sometimes you think otherwise, still learning and I am slow.

Thank you for replying,
pf

pufferfish
05-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Thanks nottom.

You nailed it, darn I suck sometimes. Beat weary I guess. I need to divorce myself from the previous hand. I also need to hit the books again, it’s been too long.

Thank you for replying,
pf

lefty rosen
05-12-2003, 12:25 AM
You played this hand like a scared rabbit. I never limp in with Johnnies, repeat never. If two overs hit the board chuck them like a used cigarette. Also if you were afraid to blast them then, you had to checkraise someone on the flop or turn. The river is useless too many drawout possibilities. One exception to this rule of raising Johnnies is a game like paradise poker above 1/2 then I might limp with them and checkraise the obvious raiser near the button, otherwise you have to play Johnnies hard.

avandelay
05-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Like many I suspect, I completely sypmpathize with your predicament. I am a relatiive novice to the game and am becoming incresingly gun shy. Seeing AA beat by two bottom pair, top two pair being beaten by runner runner flush one to many times will do that.

This is what makes the game so difficult. On top of everything else, there are significant psychological hurdles to overcome to become a good player.

Good luck.

pufferfish
05-12-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks lefty rosen,

You know, I get all bent out over bad beats, and then when the cards come my way I just smile and think that’s the way it should be. I have a lot to learn!

I played in a game this evening and the cards went my way, and yet last night was a nightmare!

Back to the books and some time off.

Thank you for replying.
pf

pufferfish
05-12-2003, 01:28 AM
Thanks avandelay,

For me the psychological part is the toughest. It’s like a dance and if you can keep up you are toast!

Thank you for replying,
pf

bernie
05-12-2003, 10:14 AM
"I never limp in with Johnnies, repeat never."

really?

"One exception to this rule of raising Johnnies "

ohh, you were just trying to sound adamant about it...

i thought this was kinda funny. so what exactly is your meaning when you say "never, repeat never..."?

just having fun

b

Girchuck
05-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Hey, I capped with a turned nut straight once, but the flush draw still called three cold and beat me.
Sure taught me a lesson about chasing with gutshots and overcards against a two-flush board.

Nottom
05-12-2003, 11:48 AM
I know how much it sucks to have your aces cracked by some garbage hand, but every time I "suck out" on someone who plays a Teir 1 hand like this and here them bitch about my beating them on the river, I chuckle to myself knowing that I only won because of poor play on their part.

Nottom
05-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Its happened to all of us, but you still have to make them pay top dollar for the right to beat you.

lefty rosen
05-12-2003, 03:21 PM
At paradise poker they play at another level, there it's not normal low limit holdem. Half those guys should be playing 20/40 or higher they are so aggressive.