PDA

View Full Version : Moneymaker must be slumming or broke.

sng-sam
09-23-2005, 07:07 PM
I know he just cashed in the 7 stud Hi/lo event of WCOOP but...he was playing a FPP sattelite for the Sunday tournament and...a 5.25 limit SNG. What gives? Is this like Full Tilt where he agrees to play at a variety of buyins so people can play with him?

Straight Flushes,

SAM

DeadMoneyOC
09-23-2005, 07:12 PM
I have heard of him playing play money also. Probably just messing around...Just because someone has played 100-200 and has the bankroll to play that big doesnt meant they cant play small stakes.

Ogre
09-23-2005, 07:12 PM
he sucks so in the end he will go broke

MonkeeMan
09-23-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he sucks so in the end he will go broke

[/ QUOTE ]

You, however, will win the ME twice and get a bunch of sweet endorsement deals.

betgo
09-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Maybe he recognizes he is not Doyle Brunson because he won the WSOP, and he his not playing over his head. This way he avoids going broke.

A_C_Slater
09-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Moneymaker is an accountant. He knows the value of money. No way he's broke.

dibbs
09-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Either probably just dicking around and making the day of gawky FPP players or maybe it was his wife or a friend playing on his account.

whiskeytown
09-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I've seen the ads for Pokerstars, and you've got Greg/Chris saying "Come play with us, at Pokerstars.net"

which I thought was hilarious - those guys playing at the play money site, but it's probably part of their deal....

Fossilman would have to answer that (and he may not want to due to contract obligations) but I suspect that in exchange for being on the team and what that represents (getting a fund for playing in tourneys) - they're probably also asked to slum around a bit in the lower limits from time to time. I think Daniel N. does the same thing at the Wynn from time to time...

That may be why they were playing on the play money games....and why he's playing so low right now...

RB

betgo
09-23-2005, 08:43 PM
He has been known to play in online $10 rebuys and live 2/5 NL. I think he knows better than to blow his prize money playing in the big game.

He may have accumulated a lot of FPPs. I would be a little suprised that he would play in a $5 SNG, but he is undoubtably multitabling.

1p0kerb0y
09-23-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm...he was pretty deep in the hole before he won the ME and had some serious gambling problems on top of that.

Equal
09-23-2005, 09:11 PM
I think Whiskeytown has it dead on: it's probably part of his endorsement deal that he plays some amount of low limits and play money. I suspected that from the commercials for .net when MM and Raymer say, "come play with us on .net!"

09-23-2005, 09:28 PM
He plays at PokerStars to tweak his game. You should too.

Quicksilvre
09-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Did we really need one more of this kind of thread?

Karak567
09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh you made me spit my soda out, nh sir

MicroBob
09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
I suspect this is correct....but we haven't seen reports of Raymer slumming it at the low-limits on stars so I wonder what's up.
But I really don't know how much Raymer is playing on Stars AT ALL (including higher buy-in tourneys).
Obviously saw him at the WCOOP...but have there been a lot of Stars Raymer-sightings beyond that??
(possibly not just because he is also busy with major live tourneys from Vegas to NJ to Europe as well as various other public-appearances)

Raymer's opinion on this situation would be interesting of course.
I too am curious as to exactly why Moneymaker would play $10 and FPP tourneys.
If he does it just because he likes screwing around then more power to him....but if it's part of his 'deal' I think that is interesting too.

I need to know these things because I'm trying to learn what kind of options for a 'deal' I might have with stars after I win the WSOP!! Just trying to do my homework.

Yeti
09-23-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he didn't.

curtains
09-23-2005, 10:41 PM
man I hope I never win a big tournament, so that everytime I play a small buyin event there will be rumors that Im broke. Sometimes it's fun to play just for the love of the game!!!

MicroBob
09-23-2005, 10:44 PM
that's a really stupid reason to hope you never win a big tournament!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

betgo
09-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Maybe Moneymaker has FPPs he wants to use, so he plays them while playing something else. I saw in an interview that he said he doesn't play in the kind of games you would expect a world champion to play in. I would expect a little higher than these, but I have no reason to think he regularly plays high buyin/limit/blinds games.

dblgutshot
09-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Its also always possible he is letting someone else use his account. Playing with a wife or kid or nephew.

Just throwing a guess out there.

Karak567
09-23-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did too!

Dynasty
09-24-2005, 01:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did too!

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a good line. But, it shouldn't have been. I guess I just haven't noticed it being used on the forums yet.

If it gets repeated, it will quickly become unfunny.

curtains
09-24-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
that's a really stupid reason to hope you never win a big tournament!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but I guarantee that I'm insane enough that I will be incredibly pissed everytime someone says something like that if I do win one, just because Im playing a small stakes game or two /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Autocratic
09-24-2005, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Its also always possible he is letting someone else use his account. Playing with a wife or kid or nephew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone posted a while ago saying he/she had played with Money800 in a 10 dollar heads up match and it turned out to be his brother.

curtains
09-24-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone posted a while ago saying he/she had played with Money800 in a 10 dollar heads up match and it turned out to be his brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

omg, Moneymaker is so broke and desperate that he's having his brother play low limits to build up his bankroll again?

bones
09-24-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
man I hope I never win a big tournament, so that everytime I play a small buyin event there will be rumors that Im broke. Sometimes it's fun to play just for the love of the game!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're so weak-tight with the bankroll.

Yeti
09-24-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was a good line. But, it shouldn't have been. I guess I just haven't noticed it being used on the forums yet.

If it gets repeated, it will quickly become unfunny.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been all over the internet and in recent months has sadly found its way here. It has never been funny.

dachord
09-24-2005, 03:59 PM
The man lives just a few miles from me. He's doing perfectly well financially. He occasionally lets relatives use his account and sometimes he'll even play in low limit games. He also hosts home games (by invite only). I'd say he's just enjoying life. All the rumors and speculations are silly and unfounded.

TheJunkyardGod
09-24-2005, 04:27 PM
I saw Phil Gordon on a play money table on Full Tilt last week. Does anyone know if he's broke too?

MicroBob
09-24-2005, 07:26 PM
you could just keep loads and loads on there and direct any of the rail-birds over to some .01/.02 table where you have bought-in for $620,345.43 or something....and then remind them "hey...i just like playing for fun."

It does occur to me now that it doesn't have to be that big a deal for a poker-player to play at levels that are not profitable for him.

Top chess-players play for free on the internet-chess-club all the time (or play live casual games or whatever).
Nobody says "OMG - Kasparov must be broke if he's not even playing for real money!"

Maybe Moneymaker put most of his money into some decent investments and he just occasionally plays some of the bigger live tourneys.

For some people they just won't feel such a great need to rush out and turn their $1-million (or whatever he has) into $10-million right-away and will be perfectly content to let it build gradually.

If Moneymaker is just screwing around on those mostly-meaningless lower limits because he has a more conservative financial strategy now then I can certainly respect that.

curtains
09-24-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you could just keep loads and loads on there and direct any of the rail-birds over to some .01/.02 table where you have bought-in for $620,345.43 or something....and then remind them "hey...i just like playing for fun."

It does occur to me now that it doesn't have to be that big a deal for a poker-player to play at levels that are not profitable for him.

Top chess-players play for free on the internet-chess-club all the time (or play live casual games or whatever).
Nobody says "OMG - Kasparov must be broke if he's not even playing for real money!"

Maybe Moneymaker put most of his money into some decent investments and he just occasionally plays some of the bigger live tourneys.

For some people they just won't feel such a great need to rush out and turn their $1-million (or whatever he has) into $10-million right-away and will be perfectly content to let it build gradually.

If Moneymaker is just screwing around on those mostly-meaningless lower limits because he has a more conservative financial strategy now then I can certainly respect that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often play at limits that are way too low for my bankroll when I just want to mess around. I would still do this occasionally if I had 100x what I have now, as would plenty of other players out there.

lighterjobs
09-24-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He may have accumulated a lot of FPPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you think he got all that pokerstars swag?

MrX
09-24-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like lawyers never break the law.

MicroBob
09-24-2005, 08:33 PM
I too find the idea that an accountant is automatically responsible with his money to be ridiculous.

Lawyers break laws.
Doctors and nurses do their fair share of smoking and drinking.
Politicians don't understand politics or their constituants.
Police officers get caught speeding or DUI.

Gamblers pretty much gamble.
Some are responsible...others are less so.

moneymaker was already in a bit of gamling debt before winning the WSOP....obviously this was when he was an accountant...and he sure wasn't being terribly responsible then, was he?

He might be more responsible with his money now...he might not.
But the fact that he is an account doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.

ansky451
09-25-2005, 06:28 AM
I was in a FPP satellite with him. It got down to heads up for the $530 seat, and he asked to chop it because he said he had to go. Despite really wanting to play heads up with moneymaker, I accepted, mainly because he probably did have to leave. I threw the rest of my chips at him, and he sent the $265 shortly after.

I really doubt he's broke, I think he was playing so low 1) for fun, 2) because pokerstars asks him to.

1st in main event, 2nd in Bay 101, 1st in the 10r on stars, multiple wcoop cashes, and a 3rd in the wcoop stud/8 tournament... I dont get why people still give him so much crap. He never claims to be a world class player or anything, and from the three times I have played with him on pokerstars, (one was in the 10r he won) he was nothing but friendly, and took a lot of crap from railbirds and didn't react at all.

Neil Stevens
09-25-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont get why people still give him so much crap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jealousy.

MicroBob
09-25-2005, 05:26 PM
When I was 11 years old I used to boo players from the other team when I went to a baseball or hockey game....and I would also boo the ref whenever he made a call against my team (whether it was good or bad).

When I was 16 years old this 'booing' would include sometimes giving the finger to the ref and using foul language.

Eventually I grew up and realized that the refs and the guys on the other team were just people too...just like the guys I was cheering for....and that booing and/or cussing was just stupid.
I half-wondered why I ever did it in the first place, and then realized that I was just copying all the fans around me.
There are many grown-ups who just get way too much delight out of booing Barry Bonds or Terrell Owens or whatever other player they decide to despise.

1 - Some of the people who are nagging on Moneymaker are still in that younger age-group.

2 - Lots of people who are not in that age-group never grow out of this phase anyway.

3 - Hypothetical situation: Drinking at home and playing poker online. Buddy stops over and asks what I'm doing. "Look...that's the REAL Chris Moneymaker right there. Watch this!! I'm going to tell him that He Sucks and Doesn't Even know how to play poker!! See?? Look how funny I am!!"

Expecting 50k+ players online to all be sober and well-behaved when also under the cover of anonymity AND the power to say something rude to a real celebrity is probably just too much to ask (especially one who many believe is not as skilled as many other famous players)

Side-question: I've never played at Full-Tilt...I suspect that all the big-name players on there get a lot of nasty-chat as well.

Sponger15SB
09-25-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know he just cashed in the 7 stud Hi/lo event of WCOOP but...he was playing a FPP sattelite for the Sunday tournament and...a 5.25 limit SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm convinced, yeah he is definitely broke.

Next case....

citanul
09-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Jesus [censored] Christ dude, did you really just post something the title of which was:

"Moneymaker must be slumming or broke."

Why not just "Alert, Moneymaker playing a low limit game! OMG OMG OMG~!!!!!TWELVE~!!!"

seriously, no one thinks he's broke, and very few people if any care that he's playing low limit. then again, some might care about the latter, so why not just say "hey if you're looking to play with moneymaker, he's playing some low stakes"?

citanul

SoftcoreRevolt
09-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Matusow gets a lot of [censored] from railbirds, but Ivey, Lederer, etc never seem to be insulted from what I've seen. Mostly "OMG PHIL IVEY MAY I PLACE MY LIPS ON YOUR PENIS YES/NO?"

Or "Phil will you play .5/1 NL?" "Sure"

The lower tier pros will catch some amusing shitstorms when they suck out on a fish though. There was a great screenshot of someone bitching about how John D'agastino was a horrible luckbox.

And players just hit on Clonie Gowen whenever she plays.

FTP may not have great games, but it is great for comedy.

Eihli
09-26-2005, 12:55 AM
So panella86 gets bashed for playing over his ability after a win, and moneymaker gets bashed for not playing over his ability after a win?

Instinct
09-26-2005, 04:37 AM
It is simple.
He is a recovering alcholic who has been going through a lot of issues the last 3 yrs.
Give the guy a break. he may sound stupid at times, but look at others in hollly wood. Some of them sound dumb too but are very smart.
He'll pull though and win back the fans he needs again one day to launch a successful career

ansky451
09-26-2005, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He'll pull though and win back the fans he needs again one day to launch a successful career

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

Bigdaddydvo
09-26-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

09-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Hmmm, I love blanket observations. Yours made me think of my old friend from back in Philly. He was a controller/CPA who stole $2M over a three year period from his employer because he had a gambling problem and had no respect for money. Well, maybe he was the exception and every other accountant is better with their own money management.

I agree with those on this thread that point to his contractual obligations as a reason for him playing that game. However, he has had a series of money issues since his WSOP win so I would expect the "Moneymaker plays $2/5 NL at Mandalay Bay" thread to be close at hand.

TheKnife
09-26-2005, 11:40 AM
He also knows the value of a nice scotch thats why he only drinks the finest Gentleman Jack. Gentleman Jack a smooth taste for a smooth evening

jakethebake
09-26-2005, 01:51 PM
I doubt he's broke. I met him at the gaming conference in Vegas the other week. He has his own line of video poker machines coming out. I'm sure they paid him nicely for his name.

Quicksilvre
09-26-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]wuh-whehh??

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

09-27-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Moneymaker is an accountant. He knows the value of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he knows that blowing 25K on naked C-sectioned chicks the night of his big victory with a bunch of people he doesn't know is a very crucial part of his 50-year plan.

the_joker
09-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Maybe he likes to get drunk and play poker but is smart enough to play at low levels.

daryn
09-28-2005, 10:40 AM
i once saw paul phillips playing 30/60 omaha. he must be broke, since he is at least a millionaire a few times over. why wouldn't he just play 4,000/8,000?

oh wait, he knows the value of money. nevermind

autobet
09-28-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i once saw paul phillips playing 30/60 omaha. he must be broke, since he is at least a millionaire a few times over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year Bill Gates was playing 6-12 while he was in Vegas, when there was a 300-600 game going. I guess he is broke too.

09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw Phil Gordon on a play money table on Full Tilt last week. Does anyone know if he's broke too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Gordon is a retired internet millionaire, basically he has enough money for $10,000 buy in events to consider them "fun". The amount of money you can make in e-commerce is astounding, many times putting the top poker pro's bankrolls to shame. Just look at google.com, 2 originators are now worth 11 Billion each I heard.

09-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm starting to finally get irritated about how people are so jealous of MoneyMaker and him winning a couple million and making a nice living now. I guess it makes people feel better to try to put others down, when it is very likely that they are financially secure as it is.

Besides MoneyMaier IS infact "the same guy, just a nicer car".

NYCNative
09-28-2005, 04:02 PM
Two relevant points:

1) I read an article from Scott Fischman in some poker magazine (forget which one) where he said that he will often play in smaller games because he enjoys it, period.

2) When futzing arounf on Full Tilt, I saw one of their pros (can't recall which one right now) at a free table. I popped in and he was chatting amiably and having a good time, apparently, and the players were in heaven.

Quicksilvre
09-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Bill Gates plays 6-12 limit; must have taken a hit somewhere.

benkahuna
09-30-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Gates plays 6-12 limit; must have taken a hit somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill Gates is a very boring person. He is happy when he gets sick on vacation because then his being sick doesn't take away from his productive work time.

I heard he used to only play 3-6 (may have said that in The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King) so it looks like he's moving up limits!

Watch out high stakes poker world, here comes Bill!

Quicksilvre
09-30-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard he used to only play 3-6 (may have said that in The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King) so it looks like he's moving up limits!

Watch out high stakes poker world, here comes Bill!

[/ QUOTE ]

It might be 3-6--my source is a fuzzily remembered Robert Varkonyi column.

bryan4967
09-30-2005, 11:02 PM
hah!

Sponger15SB
09-30-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, he knows that blowing 25K on naked C-sectioned chicks the night of his big victory

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?