PDA

View Full Version : Should I just not play on-line?

PokerCad
09-23-2005, 05:38 PM
OK I'll admit it, I am a B&M player, But can anyone help me with this dilema? How come I can sit for 20-30 hours a week in my local B&M playing 9-18 thru 20-40 depending on my moods track all of my play win month after month, deal with the swings of up 2K, down 2K and such, just the normal variance, feel pretty confident that I am one of the better players, tho admittedly I still think I suck in terms of the truly good players (but that is for another post, I still struggle with known gaps in my play) but my win rate is satisfactory at these limits, but anyway I can get up after a poor night say down 1K or so and not have it bother me as I am able to look at my live play as one long session. However when I play on-line ring usually after playing a MTT (oh, by-the-way they do suck but it is fun to get lucky which I do occasionally) sorry 'bout the ramble, but why do I get so pissed off at myself dropping a hundred bucks at 3-6 online? I can play for weeks live and think I am a decent player, and within a couple of hours at the friggin' low limit online game I begin to think I really suck and it takes me hours to recover mentally. Any advice??????

PS: Advice different than telling me that I do really Suck, lol

09-23-2005, 05:54 PM
I think you should just stick to what your good at. I prefer playing live as I am just a better player. In live games I can get reads on people and know who has what. Plus, you can tell a fish from a shark easily. I might lose out on seeing much more hands, but at the same time I am making 20/hr playing live which beats any part time job I apply for (college student).

mosquito
09-23-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK I'll admit it, I am a B&M player, But can anyone help me with this dilema? How come I can sit for 20-30 hours a week in my local B&M playing 9-18 thru 20-40 depending on my moods track all of my play win month after month, deal with the swings of up 2K, down 2K and such, just the normal variance, feel pretty confident that I am one of the better players, tho admittedly I still think I suck in terms of the truly good players (but that is for another post, I still struggle with known gaps in my play) but my win rate is satisfactory at these limits, but anyway I can get up after a poor night say down 1K or so and not have it bother me as I am able to look at my live play as one long session. However when I play on-line ring usually after playing a MTT (oh, by-the-way they do suck but it is fun to get lucky which I do occasionally) sorry 'bout the ramble, but why do I get so pissed off at myself dropping a hundred bucks at 3-6 online? I can play for weeks live and think I am a decent player, and within a couple of hours at the friggin' low limit online game I begin to think I really suck and it takes me hours to recover mentally. Any advice??????

PS: Advice different than telling me that I do really Suck, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I also had a background at B&M before playing on the net.

I understand what you are going through, it is just an
adjustment period. Net poker is a bit different than B&M,
the fact the the $$$ you are playing for is different should
not be a factor in your thinking.

3-6 online is a little tougher than 9-18 live, so that is
one perspective.

Being competitive you don't like losing any amount, especially
if you feel that you play better than those faceless
players.

Make the adjustments in play, you will kick ass and
the money will feel "normal" again.

bernie
09-23-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry 'bout the ramble, but why do I get so pissed off at myself dropping a hundred bucks at 3-6 online? I can play for weeks live and think I am a decent player, and within a couple of hours at the friggin' low limit online game I begin to think I really suck and it takes me hours to recover mentally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you're mentally looking at the limit size and not the game texture.

Ego.

You probably (based on how you mention the 'friggin low limit game') think that since you're normal game is around 15-30 live, that 3-6 shouldn't be that tough. You have to seperate the 2. On my normal site, the 3-6 played much tougher than the live 20-40 at my main cardroom.

Study your game.

b

DRKEVDC
09-23-2005, 06:14 PM
I think people tend to play more straightforward live since they don't want to look foolish at the table. Online no one can see you therefore people tend to play a little looser, when you suck out you can just shut off the chat.

PokerCad
09-23-2005, 06:30 PM
you are probably right ego, thanks

PokerCad
09-23-2005, 06:31 PM
thanks for the confidence boost mosquito!

Mr. Curious
09-23-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However when I play on-line ring usually after playing a MTT...

...why do I get so pissed off at myself dropping a hundred bucks at 3-6 online?

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 Try playing online ring without playing a MTT.

#2 Could it be latent tilt from the tourney?

#3 If you are going to play limit after a tourney, play in the .5/1 or lower and just blow off steam. The money won't matter to you and you will feel a lot more relaxed about the game in general.