PDA

View Full Version : Calling with the nuts

LondonBroil
05-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Online 1/2, fairly loose passive. Not a whole lot of pre-flop raising.

On 2 seperate hands I witnessed the same guy just call on the river when he was holding the nuts and he was closing the action.

First hand hero has A /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/club.gif on a board that read Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif J /forums/images/icons/club.gif 4 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif . There were 3 people at the river, first one bets, second guy calls, and our hero only calls.

Second hand our hero has Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/heart.gif with a board of J /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . This time it's only him and 1 opponent. Opponent bets, hero only calls. (opponent had AK)

Is there some kind of benefit to only calling in these situations that I'm not aware of?

Bob T.
05-11-2003, 01:40 PM
NO.

JTG51
05-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Yes there is a benefit. Only calling in these situations will cause you to win a lot less money and greatly reduce your bankroll.

Oh, that's not a benefit? I guess I can't think of any then.

Allan
05-11-2003, 04:13 PM
There is some benefit:

If you don't like playing short handed, any game you try to start should fill quickly....

Allan

bernie
05-11-2003, 05:06 PM
it would sure benefit me if more players played this way against me.

b

Tyler Durden
05-11-2003, 08:37 PM
The only benefit I can think of is if you just sit down at a table and you call with the nuts, other players will think you're totally clueless.

This begs the question of how do you want your opponents to view you.