PDA

View Full Version : another marginal preflop call...river bluff

baronzeus
09-23-2005, 04:20 PM
So basically, I'm retarded. the flop was 34T, not 45T...ill shut up now and fix it.

56o BB

SB here is a VERY overaggressive mid limit regular(probably a winning player but too aggressive preflop and flop). He's decent overall.

Button is a huge fish

Button folds, SB raises, I call with 56o (a little loose)

Flop 34T two spades

He bets, I raise, he calls

Turn Kd

He checks, I bet, he raises, I call

River 8h

He checks (???), I bet...

Anyone else agree with this bluff? I think the rest is standard...just curious as to what you guys think

Jinx
09-23-2005, 04:25 PM
You got sexied didn't you? And I don't think he's calling with anything you beat nor folding anything you lose to.

Robk
09-23-2005, 04:32 PM
i think your preflop call is standard.

your river bet is not a bluff, no one will fold a better hand here. its a value bet (and a decent one imo.) he looks like AQ/AJ/A high spades. note that the king is a good card for him to semibluff with. if he had a decent pair he would have bet. my main concern is that he may have picked up the 8 and checked hoping you would check your tens behind. he also could have a better 5, or 66,77, 99. but in all i think its a nice value bet.

RunDownHouse
I have to agree that this doesn't look like he's giving up. It looks like he's either going for the sexy, or this is a "I want to showdown no matter what" move.

The Truth
I check the river, any hand that beats you, he calls. So, this isnt a good bluff. He might pay you off some hands (but more likely he has you beat if he calls), but he also might bluff raise you off the best hand.

-blake

TStoneMBD
09-23-2005, 04:43 PM
baron messed up the hand... the flop is actually 34T and he has an OESD

baronzeus
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
baron messed up the hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

yup fixed now

Catt
09-23-2005, 04:53 PM
I assume you believe you have enough FE to make this turn bet profitable against an over-aggressive guy?

baronzeus
09-23-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I assume you believe you have enough FE to make this turn bet profitable against an over-aggressive guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i figured...i'd pretty much have to give up on the hand if i checked the turn...does that bet suck>

Catt
09-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i figured...i'd pretty much have to give up on the hand if i checked the turn...does that bet suck>

[/ QUOTE ]

No - it depends on how often he folds. You're only winning this hand if you hit your OESD and maybe if you spike a pair. If he's not folding to the turn bet, then it's bad unless it buys you enough fold equity on the river and you're willing to fire again. If there's a decent chance (haven't done the math) that he folds to the turn bet, the bet may be good. But I don't think you give up on the hand by checking the turn -- you're drawing to anywhere from 6 to 14 outs, and you'll hit something often enough, especially if your turn check means he'll always bet into you with no-pair hands. Depending on the opponent, I sometimes take the line you did, and I sometimes check behind on the turn to see the river.

River play as you played the hand is really read-dependent for me but I probably give-up and check more often than I bet against a guy as you describe. But getting the odds you are, a bet is totally reasonable with the right read, IMHO.

obsidian
09-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Check. He figured you were semi-bluffing the flop with a draw seeing as this flop missed him a lot. He is c/c'ing this river.

Justin A
09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I don't think the preflop call is marginal at all.

I think the pot is big enough to fire out a river bet in case the guy was on a semibluff.

baronzeus
09-23-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the preflop call is marginal at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats the lowest unsuited connector you go...45o? 34o?

i thought it was ok but there was some debate between me and another player about the call