PDA

View Full Version : satellite radio

lighterjobs
09-23-2005, 04:19 PM
i have wanted satellite radio for a while so i decided to get it today. i was checking out sirius at radioshack, but i don't know what is the best brand.

what brand has the best/most stations and is better overall?

RacersEdge
09-23-2005, 04:26 PM
I think I'm getting Sirirus mainly because of Stern..

CIncyHR
09-23-2005, 04:27 PM
buy sirius

offTopic
09-23-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what brand do OOTiots own stock in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy Sirius.

HDPM
09-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Sirius has football. XM has baseball. Sirius has worse equipment, XM has more stuff and is coming out with newer stuff faster I think. Sirius has Stern. XM has Opie and Anthony. O&A are a whole lot better than Stern BTW. They pwn him pretty consistently. I have XM and have no need to switch. I got it a few years ago because I thought XM was the better company. I still think it is and will be better/ more stable in the future. I just wish XM had the NFL games.

dcasper70
09-23-2005, 06:42 PM
XM also has the NHL, has much better equipment, is in better financial shape

Stern blows

midas
09-23-2005, 07:16 PM
The numbers don't support your Stern vs O&A argument. Stern could lose 90% of his audience after the move and still crush their ratings. It's going to get very lonely at XM next year!!!

meep_42
09-23-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
XM also has the NHL, has much better equipment, is in better financial shape

Stern blows

[/ QUOTE ]

They have the NHL in 2007, I believe -- well, exclusively in 2007, both providers will have NHL games this season.

-d

Packerfan1
09-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Most people (including cnet.com which has a great comparison) will call it a tie. It really depends on what you want it for. I listen to mostly classic rock so I went with Sirius installed in my new car. We like it so much we just bought a second receiver ($40 after rebate and $7 a month) for the wife's car.

fwiw.

Pack

HDPM
09-23-2005, 08:48 PM
that is what sirius is banking on by paying big for talent. I think they have tried some things that have not worked. It will be interesting to see what happens when Stern moves.

Stern has the numbers now because he is on free radio and O&A are pretty new to XM. Stern may have enough of a name to get a big hunk of his audience to sirius, but that is all he has now, his reputation. And he expressly banks on it without doing anything new. No question his numbers are good, but quality wise he blows compared to O&A. I guess we'll see.

dcasper70
09-23-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The numbers don't support your Stern vs O&A argument. Stern could lose 90% of his audience after the move and still crush their ratings. It's going to get very lonely at XM next year!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you have O&A's ratings? Please post! We'll wait...

Jimbo
09-23-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a remarkably uninformed claim. Stern has a miniscule audience, a small niche if you will. He negotiated a monster contrast (most of it in stock and not cash). Sirius has probably 18 months left to survive with their present capital and subscriber base.

They will either be entirely overhauled by an outside buyer or consumed by XM.

youtalkfunny
09-24-2005, 02:48 AM
I have Sirius. I've never listened to XM, so I can't help you choose which is better.

But Sirius has The Wiseguy Show (bunch of old Italian guys, swearing and breaking each other's balls), which is priceless. I often go out for drives to nowhere on Wednesdays, just to listen to it.

lighterjobs
09-24-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sirius has football. XM has baseball. Sirius has worse equipment, XM has more stuff and is coming out with newer stuff faster I think. Sirius has Stern. XM has Opie and Anthony. O&A are a whole lot better than Stern BTW. They pwn him pretty consistently. I have XM and have no need to switch. I got it a few years ago because I thought XM was the better company. I still think it is and will be better/ more stable in the future. I just wish XM had the NFL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is worse about the sirius equipment?

lighterjobs
09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But Sirius has The Wiseguy Show (bunch of old Italian guys, swearing and breaking each other's balls), which is priceless. I often go out for drives to nowhere on Wednesdays, just to listen to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay, i've decided on sirius just to get this show.

benza13
09-24-2005, 01:35 PM
I got Sirius 2 years ago and couldn't be happier with the decision. I liked their channel mix more at the time and they have only improved since. XM is slightly ahead with receiver options, but has been a step ahead most of the way since coming out first. The only thing that XM has that I want on Sirius is MLB, otherwise I would see no reason that XM is better, especially since I like the NFL more anyhow.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-24-2005, 01:43 PM
It's prolly a toss up. I think XM is in better financial shape, so I went with them.

slamdunkpro
09-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Sirus need 300,000 new subscribers per year for the next 5 years just to pay Stern and the NFL. Their current subscriber base is about 35,000.

BigBaitsim (milo)
09-24-2005, 02:45 PM
It seems that one format will win. XM is becoming standard on many vehicles. Sirius is not.

benza13
09-24-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sirus need 300,000 new subscribers per year for the next 5 years just to pay Stern and the NFL. Their current subscriber base is about 35,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try, but as of the end of the first quarter this year their subscriber base was at about 1.5 mil. Also, they are rapidly expanding their packaging with new vehicles.

Linky (http://powerelectronics.com/autoelectronics/subscriber_base_grows/)

HDPM
09-24-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is worse about the sirius equipment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have the newest stuff. But XM is better for personal devices. I think the other receivers are more varied and advanced. XM I think, check me on it tho, will come out with a combined MP3 and sat. personal play device much quicker. It is either out now or coming soon. I am not sure. I have it in my car and have a boom box thing. These are both a few yrs old. My wife has it in her GM vehicle. I have not shopped the new personal devices.

09-24-2005, 06:15 PM
how much do u pay per month

JayLear
09-24-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sirius has Stern. XM has Opie and Anthony. O&A are a whole lot better than Stern BTW. They pwn him pretty consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]
I strenuously object.

JayLear
09-24-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but quality wise he blows compared to O&A.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you say this when they basically just do Stern's show, except less funny?

Slacker13
09-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I have sirius and love it. Has all the NFL football games and NBA.

Slacker13
09-24-2005, 06:46 PM
I paid $95 for the year. Sirius

HDPM
09-24-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but quality wise he blows compared to O&A.

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you say this when they basically just do Stern's show, except less funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they are a lot more funny than the washed up howard stern. And they don't claim to have invented radio, like stern does now. Stern is worse than Al Gore claiming he invented the internet. All stern does now is say he was the first ever to do anything. He blows and is just banking on his reputation. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

slamdunkpro
09-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow, my info was a little out of date. I'm going to go kick my broker in the teeth~

Slacker13
09-24-2005, 06:55 PM
I completely depends what you want in programming. They both have the same music, news, comedy etc.. But one has NFL and one doesn't. I got sirius because of the NFL package and love their service.
I wouldn't choose becuase you think one is more financially stable than the other as someone said. It's not like they will go out of business, they would be bought before that happened.

As far as opey and anthony i have never heard them. Always heard they were trying to copy stern.

I do think XM's equipment was nicer in the past but sirius has some nice equipment out now.

I say go with sirius.

Slacker13
09-24-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is in better financial shape

[/ QUOTE ]
what does that have to do with anything?

benza13
09-24-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I paid $95 for the year. Sirius

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you get that price, paying for the year with Sirius I have paid ~$125 each of the last two years I've had it and I am about to pay again, and I would love to pay less. (looking back I clearly should have just done the lifetime thing).

Slacker13
09-24-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How'd you get that price, paying for the year with Sirius I have paid ~$125 each of the last two years

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, i dont know. Maybe it was a promotion at the time. I just assumed that's what it always was. My subscription should be running out shortly so maybe i have to pay $125 this time.

lighterjobs
09-24-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How'd you get that price, paying for the year with Sirius I have paid ~$125 each of the last two years I've had it and I am about to pay again, and I would love to pay less. (looking back I clearly should have just done the lifetime thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

the salesman who was telling me about it said if you pay the $12.95 six months in advance you get a really good rebate.

jstnrgrs
09-24-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have Sirius. I've never listened to XM, so I can't help you choose which is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which brings up my question about satellite radio. Can you get it in your hous without having to install an exterior antenna (like with a portable boom box, or walk man or something)?

dcasper70
09-24-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is in better financial shape

[/ QUOTE ]
what does that have to do with anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

you still have those Betamax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax) cassettes, don't you???

youtalkfunny
09-25-2005, 04:59 AM
I know nothing about XM, this is about Sirius:

Yes, they sell a kit for your house. You pop the receiver out of the docking system in your car, bring it in, and pop it into the docking system in your house. The receiver doesn't play anything; it receives the signal, then sends it (wirelessly) to your radio.

I don't have a decent stereo system in my house, so I recently bought the boombox. It comes with an antenna that's about the size of your computer's mouse, and a very long wire connecting it to the boombox.

The instructions say that if you live in a rural area, you probably need to mount it on the roof; if you close to a big city, then you can probably get away with leaving it inside, near a window; if you're IN a big city, you may not need to worry about the window.

I'm near a big city, but I guess not near enough to keep the signal 100% (or the city isn't big enough for them to feel the need to add repeaters here), so I put my antenna on the roof. It's not like a tv dish, where you need to be Galileo to figure out which way to point it. Just knock a few nails into your shingles, and the antenna base will slide onto them.

If you ever want to take your boombox outdoors, just slide the antenna off the nails, and it mounts onto the boombox (it runs on 8 D-size batteries, if you're not near a plug).

I was disappointed to see the boombox (at least the model I got at WalMart) has no bass/treble/anything controls. Just a on/off/volume knob, and a headphone jack in the front. I don't know if other boombox models are available.

BTW, The Wiseguys Show is hosted by Vinny "Big Pussy" Pastore, and produced by Little Steven van Zandt (Silvio). This week, Big Pussy was off, so the show was guest-hosted by Frankie "Billy Bats" Vincent, and they broadcast live from the San Gennaro Feast on Mulberry Street in NYC. The show is on Wednesdays, and re-broadcast on Sat and Sun.

You can get a free three-day trial at Sirius-dot-com. The Wiseguys is rebroadcast today (Sunday) from 4-7 PM EDT--but they couldn't swear this week, because they had speakers set up at the feast.

(I just went the Sirius website, to get the times for the Wiseguys, and I was greeted by a big banner: NASCAR moves to Sirius in 2007. This is awesome. I'm just now becoming a NASCAR fan. I guess I've lived in Mississippi too long.)

dcasper70
09-25-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about XM, this is about Sirius:

Yes, they sell a kit for your house. You pop the receiver out of the docking system in your car, bring it in, and pop it into the docking system in your house. The receiver doesn't play anything; it receives the signal, then sends it (wirelessly) to your radio.

I don't have a decent stereo system in my house, so I recently bought the boombox. It comes with an antenna that's about the size of your computer's mouse, and a very long wire connecting it to the boombox.

The instructions say that if you live in a rural area, you probably need to mount it on the roof; if you close to a big city, then you can probably get away with leaving it inside, near a window; if you're IN a big city, you may not need to worry about the window.

I'm near a big city, but I guess not near enough to keep the signal 100% (or the city isn't big enough for them to feel the need to add repeaters here), so I put my antenna on the roof. It's not like a tv dish, where you need to be Galileo to figure out which way to point it. Just knock a few nails into your shingles, and the antenna base will slide onto them.

If you ever want to take your boombox outdoors, just slide the antenna off the nails, and it mounts onto the boombox (it runs on 8 D-size batteries, if you're not near a plug).

I was disappointed to see the boombox (at least the model I got at WalMart) has no bass/treble/anything controls. Just a on/off/volume knob, and a headphone jack in the front. I don't know if other boombox models are available.

[/ QUOTE ]

aside from minor detais, this is true for XM as well

dcasper70
09-25-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
NASCAR moves to Sirius in 2007.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another reason to pick XM. /images/graemlins/grin.gif