PDA

View Full Version : What animal is best to live in cities?

theweatherman
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Of all the animals that can live in cities what type do the best. This includes humans, cats, dogs, birds, any animal.

I think cats are the best at it. They are top of the food chain in the ecosystem and they can fit anywhere. My first thought was birds, but hten I realized cats can do almost as much as birds in additition to being able to eat them.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Humans. And horses. You never see a dead horse in the city, do you?

pokerdirty
[ QUOTE ]
Of all the animals that can live in cities what type do the best. This includes humans, cats, dogs, birds, any animal.

I think cats are the best at it. They are top of the food chain in the ecosystem and they can fit anywhere. My first thought was birds, but hten I realized cats can do almost as much as birds in additition to being able to eat them.

[/ QUOTE ]

rats, cockroaches

lucas9000
cockroaches and rats.

pokerdirty
09-23-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches and rats.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.

lucas9000
09-23-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches and rats.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.

[/ QUOTE ]

both posts at the same time though. i demand a recount. i will appeal to commodus forthwith.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches

[/ QUOTE ]

Easily correct.

pokerdirty
09-23-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches and rats.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.

[/ QUOTE ]

both posts at the same time though. i demand a recount. i will appeal to commodus forthwith.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's CLEARLY because you took the time to type out the word "and", where i just made great use of the comma.

MrTrik
09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think cats are the best at it. They are top of the food chain in the ecosystem and they can fit anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have two cats and a dog. And a bunch of Koi.

The only reason cats are at the top of the food chain is because there isn't a predator that will eat a cat. And that goes for the city or the wild. Nothing will eat a cat. Which means most predators will only kill a cat under the drive of instinct (it moves, so kill it, like a coyote or a dog might do). Not being prey goes a long way. I'm a poet and you know it.

CIncyHR
09-23-2005, 04:01 PM
I can;t believe you actually posted this on 2+2. It is SO obviously humans. We run ctas over with our cars every single day. How many cats kill humans?

Plus, we have medicine.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think cats are the best at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this and your other post, I'm trying to decide if you're a troll or just not very bright.

CIncyHR
09-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Not even close. I cant back this up with any scientific fact (nobody here can I wouldnt think) BUT I would be willing to bet that of you looked at two stats that I think are real importnat for who lives "the best" youd see humans come out way ahead.

1. Birht survival rate/infant mortality rate - I cna almsot guarantee that more cockroaches die in the immediate afetramth of birth and during early development than humans in any major city (I live in DC).

2. Standard deviation on life expectancy. Obivously humans naturally live longer than roaches so thats not an importnat point. However, I would be willing to bet that more humans get close to the avg. life expectancy than roaches do. Most humans die in old age, where as I would be willing to bet that you see a relatively flat curve for the death-age of roaches. There is a biological term for this but I cant remember it.

CIncyHR
09-23-2005, 04:05 PM
lol, great post

lucas9000
09-23-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cockroaches and rats.

[/ QUOTE ]

pwned.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it's CLEARLY because you took the time to type out the word "and", where i just made great use of the comma.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are clearly correct. i will chalk this up as a lesson learned the hard way.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 04:14 PM
weatherman, we need you involved in this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3468006&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#Post3480641)

jokerthief
09-23-2005, 04:14 PM
The correct answer is:

http://www.naturalbridgezoo.net/Images/Ostridge.jpg

It's a bird and it can kill a cat. It can also run real fast which helps it get away from the police in the ghetto.

CIncyHR
09-23-2005, 04:16 PM
I laughed out loud at this post.

HopeydaFish
09-23-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think cats are the best at it. They are top of the food chain in the ecosystem and they can fit anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason cats are at the top of the food chain is because there isn't a predator that will eat a cat. And that goes for the city or the wild. Nothing will eat a cat. Which means most predators will only kill a cat under the drive of instinct (it moves, so kill it, like a coyote or a dog might do). Not being prey goes a long way. I'm a poet and you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have fishers (basically a large weasel) in our area that regularly kill and eat cats. They'll kill and eat anything made of meat.

I also suspect that a coyote would eat a cat. They've been known to snatch and run away with small dogs right in front of their owners.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, could you possibly be more wrong?

Coyotes eat cats all the time. So do hawks. For food, not for fun. At least out here in L.A.

A lot of cat behavior is well explained by the fact that they are indeed prey.

Apparently tasty prey, too. The Vietnamese have so many enormously popular restaurants serving cats that they ate almost every cat in the country, and a huge percentage of their crops were almost destroyed across the nation by rats. The government had to close down the cat restaurants and start importing cats to be released into the wild again to try to make a dent in the rat population.

The tastiness of cats seems well established.

Fishwhenican
09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Coyotes will eat anything, including other coyotes, cow poop, poopy pampers, gut piles and afterbirth.
A nice pulmp little kitty would be a treat for a cotote! Kind of like a hot fudge sundae

theweatherman
09-23-2005, 04:42 PM
I have yet to see a coyote in Washingotn DC

MrTrik
09-23-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have fishers (basically a large weasel) in our area that regularly kill and eat cats. They'll kill and eat anything made of meat.

I also suspect that a coyote would eat a cat. They've been known to snatch and run away with small dogs right in front of their owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it's possible coyotes in different parts of the country have different habbits. I've hunted coyotes my entire adult life and with my father in my teens. I've watched a coyote stalk a cat until it finds out it is a cat and then walk away. I've also seen a coyote kill a cat and walk away without eating it. So I stand by my statement. At least in northern MN and WI nothing eats a cat. I suppose under dire circumstances like a very brutal winter a cat will get eaten. I have no idea because we haven't had a brutal winter here since the eighties.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 05:54 PM
They're prime menu items for coyotes and hawks in California.

TheBlueMonster
09-23-2005, 05:56 PM
rats, roaches and junkies

Lazymeatball
09-23-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've hunted coyotes my entire adult life and with my father in my teens. I've watched a coyote stalk a cat until it finds out it is a cat and then walk away. I've also seen a coyote kill a cat and walk away without eating it. So I stand by my statement. At least in northern MN and WI nothing eats a cat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're not very good at drawing conclusions. Where's "Small Sample Size Man" when you need him?