PDA

View Full Version : Just started listening to the Decemberists...

09-23-2005, 03:16 PM
...And I love them. The only other indie rock band I had listened to before was DCFC, who I thought were good, but I am really enjoying the Decemberists. Their newer CD is awesome IMO.

What other bands along the same lines would you guys recommend.

YourFoxyGrandma
09-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I just picked up their newest as well. Fabulous.

My other new acquisitions of note:
Pedro the Lion - A little generic perhaps? Still quite good.
Spoon - Not so much new for me, but been listening to it a lot again as of late. Incredible. Pick up Girls Can Tell followed by Gimme Fiction.
Interpol - Antics. Alot of similar sounding songs, but still good.

Georgia Avenue
09-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I like Devendra Banhart (http://www.younggodrecords.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=71)

But there are less weird bands like Decemberists. Umm...Fiery Furnaces? Unicorns? The weirder the better.

imported_anacardo
09-23-2005, 03:42 PM
[censored], my cover's blown.

Good decision, though I don't really enjoy either of their first two albums as much as I enjoy Picaresque. Better sound, more ambitious songwriting, etc. Though Her Majesty has its moments - "Shanty for the Arethusa," "The Soldiering Life."

Anyway, if you like a buncha wacky drama kids belting out Dickensian tunes about pirates and ragpickers and the like, check 'er out, America.

oddjob
09-23-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[censored], my cover's blown.

Good decision, though I don't really enjoy either of their first two albums as much as I enjoy Picaresque. Better sound, more ambitious songwriting, etc. Though Her Majesty has its moments - "Shanty for the Arethusa," "The Soldiering Life."

Anyway, if you like a buncha wacky drama kids belting out Dickensian tunes about pirates and ragpickers and the like, check 'er out, America.

[/ QUOTE ]

one of my current favorites. i actually think her majesty is a better album. red right ankle is one of my favorite songs.

i've been trying to learn to play some of their songs, and billy liar and 16 military wives are really fun to play and sing.

if you like the decembersists, and haven't checked out neutral milk hotel or the mountain goats... check them out. similar, not the same.