PDA

View Full Version : Monopoly Question

09-23-2005, 02:48 PM
My fiance and brother got into an argument last night over the correct way to play Monopoly. I ask OOT to provide judgment.

scdavis0
09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Absolutely.

I can't believe this is even up for debate.

slickpoppa
09-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I see nothing wrong with it

2+2 wannabe
09-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I [censored] hate when people not involved will say something - especially when they get mad when others do the same.

That being said, it's also against the "code" of the game to roll doubles, go on the space super fast, and roll again getting off of boardwalk with hotels or something

Monopoly is one of my least favourite games

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Not only is it against the spirit of the rules, but I wholly support custom rules that call for the tattler to have to pay the rent also.

09-23-2005, 02:52 PM
I always talk this over and agree on a rule before hand.

Slighty off topic, here's my coolest monopoly tactic:

Suppose have something 2 or more people want. You hold an auction, highest bid wins the item, and second highest bid has to pay you half of what he bid, and recieves nothing. If they are not trustworthy, you can declare a bid valid only if they hand you half of the money.

09-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Monopoly is only fun when you play with idiots that think they're good but suck. That's when you make some outlandish trades to get the orange monopoly and build it up. Game over losers.

wh1t3bread
I'm not sure if it's against the official rules.

However, the person who owns the property has until the (I believe) the SECOND player following the "renter" throws the dice to ask for the $.

Beer and Pizza
[ QUOTE ]
That being said, it's also against the "code" of the game to roll doubles, go on the space super fast, and roll again getting off of boardwalk with hotels or something

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't prevent you from collecting, since you can collect as long as the second player following has not started his turn.

tdarko
09-23-2005, 02:54 PM
monopoly? is this the game where after 9 hours of playing it you want to kick your aunt in the chest for clapping everytime she collects $200 for passing "Go" although everyone gets this $200?

Beer and Pizza
09-23-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Monopoly is only fun when you play with idiots that think they're good but suck. That's when you make some outlandish trades to get the orange monopoly and build it up. Game over losers.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no mention of trading properties in the Monopoly rules, this too is just an accepted tradition, not an official rule.

schwza
09-23-2005, 02:55 PM
i'm about to hit the yellows with hotels, and the owner of the yellows hits boardwalk. nah, i'll just keep my mouth shut and hit the yellows. riiiiiight.

Voltron87
09-23-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
monopoly? is this the game where after 9 hours of playing it you want to kick your aunt in the chest for clapping everytime she collects $200 for passing "Go" although everyone gets this $200?

[/ QUOTE ]

that made me laugh out loud.

MagicMan08
09-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Yea I donno until about 6 months ago I didn't mind monopoly. But my roomate is so hardcore like cuthroat in this game I wanna punch him in the face. Its a younger kids game.

I don't play anymore.

Beer and Pizza
09-23-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is it against the rules or the spirit of the game to alert other players when someone lands on their properties?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you charge the person.

You: "If you give me $100 I'll tell you how you can make an immediate profit of hundreds of dollars"

Mr. Distracted: "ok"

You: "Collect that rent from Ms. Quiet who just landed on your hotel."

Mr. Distracted: "Great. Pay up Bit*h!"

Ms. Quiet (to you): "You're an Assh*le"

Mr. Distracted (to you): "You don't get that $100. She owed me that rent anyway"

You (as you toss the board): "F*ck You Both!"

Bluffoon
09-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Anybody who gets into an argument over a game of monoply needs therapy.

bravos1
09-23-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea I donno until about 6 months ago I didn't mind monopoly. But my roomate is so hardcore like cuthroat in this game I wanna punch him in the face. Its a younger kids game.

I don't play anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Change games! Play Settlers of Catan instead.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not only is it against the spirit of the rules, but I wholly support custom rules that call for the tattler to have to pay the rent also.

[/ QUOTE ]

LBJ
09-23-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is retarded. It's a competitive game, arguing is not bad.

09-23-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if it's against the official rules.

However, the person who owns the property has until the (I believe) the SECOND player following the "renter" throws the dice to ask for the $.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is correct and in the official rules.

4_2_it
09-23-2005, 03:19 PM
I found this online so it must be true (http://www.gameroom.com/gamebits/RULES/332_Monopoly_Rules.html)

[ QUOTE ]
LANDING on OWNED PROPERTY
When a player lands on owned property either by throw of Dice, or by a move forced by a Chance
or Community Chest Card, the Owner collects RENT from him in accordance with the list printed
on the Title Deed card applying to it. Note: If the lot contains a House or houses, the rent is
larger than it would be for an unimproved Lot. If the lot is Mortgaged, no rent can be collected.
Mortgaged property is designated by turning face-down the Title Deed representing that property.

Note: If the owner fails to ask for his Rent before the second player following throws the dice,
the Rent is not collectible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who says anything should get kicked in the nuts.

09-23-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no mention of trading properties in the Monopoly rules, this too is just an accepted tradition, not an official rule.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't believe this when I saw it, but you're right. However, it does mention selling unimproved property "...for any amount the owner can get..."

hedxcold
09-23-2005, 03:26 PM
why would there need to be rules saying you can do something? as long as it doesn't say you can't...

schwza
09-23-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't play anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Change games! Play Settlers of Catan instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

that game is sweet.

09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Check out this (http://www.mayfairgames.com/mfg-shop/8483/qps/8483.html) mamma jamma if you like Settlers.

09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Monopoly is fun when you play for real money. Good times. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Alright. Someone give me the rundown here. What's the story on Settlers of Catan? What's this Catan and Canaan and what the hell's going on here? Starfarers?

TheWorstPlayer
09-23-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 04:59 PM
I've never heard of this rule, but I haven't played monopoly in like 15 years either.

Ogre
09-23-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

xorbie
09-23-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright. Someone give me the rundown here. What's the story on Settlers of Catan? What's this Catan and Canaan and what the hell's going on here? Starfarers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Settlers of Catan is a board game that involves building roads, settlements and cities and raking in resources with which to do so. Pretty cool game.

NLSoldier
09-23-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gumpzilla
09-23-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There are very few board games that I've played - Diplomacy is the one that comes to mind at the moment - that give the hate in quite the same way as Monopoly.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I [censored] hate when people not involved will say something - especially when they get mad when others do the same.

Monopoly is one of my least favourite games

[/ QUOTE ]

That quick move before you can object type of tactic is common in a lot of games and is definitely slimy. I just don't like to play games with people like that period, doesn't really matter what the game is. It's the style of gameplay that sucks, and that will carry over.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it against the rules or the spirit of the game to alert other players when someone lands on their properties?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make sure you charge the person.

You: "If you give me $100 I'll tell you how you can make an immediate profit of hundreds of dollars"

Mr. Distracted: "ok"

You: "Collect that rent from Ms. Quiet who just landed on your hotel."

Mr. Distracted: "Great. Pay up Bit*h!"

Ms. Quiet (to you): "You're an Assh*le"

Mr. Distracted (to you): "You don't get that $100. She owed me that rent anyway"

You (as you toss the board): "F*ck You Both!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this move.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. There are very few board games that I've played - Diplomacy is the one that comes to mind at the moment - that give the hate in quite the same way as Monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this to be true with guys who always try to steal from the bank -- miscounting, palming bills, etc. For some people, stealing from the bank is pretty much the whole game, and the fight to be the banker can be loud and bitter, because everyone either wants to steal for themselves or keep the other guy from stealing from the bank, which he almost certainly will.

Playing a game where people are stealing is pointless and stupid, and so is playing with those people. But they're everywhere, and lots of people think it's funny.

That kind of thing, and people who like to argue up rules that don't exist or change them whenever they can see an advantage, can make games truly suck.

mostsmooth
09-23-2005, 09:07 PM
strange, when we talked about when a player shows his hand and doesnt know he has the winner, it was pretty much onesided that you should speak up (i think you should keep quiet), but now in basically the same situation (alb eit different games), the feeling is to keep quiet (even though the voting is only slightly favoring speaking up). how are these situations opposite??

gumpzilla
09-23-2005, 09:32 PM
It's less about stealing and outright cheating, which I don't have so much problem with (I mean I haven't run into people really doing this), as the wheeling and dealing aspect of both games. It seems like it generally devolves into arguing in the case of Monopoly where all the discussions are in the open, or real anger when somebody stabs you in the back in Diplomacy. There's also the serious frustration which somebody alluded to of watching yourself get screwed because somebody else made a boneheaded deal. Obviously they're just games, so one can't take them too seriously, but if you're a reasonably competitive person it's a little hard not to get caught up in the moment sometimes. I haven't played either of these games in years, so perhaps I'd have a more laissez faire attitude now. I think the length of an average Monopoly game also contributes to it; by the end, people are generally getting a little punchy.