PDA

View Full Version : more river play against a LP

Wynton
09-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Still trying to figure out when to bet the river against the classic LP.

The first hand is for background only, no anaylysis needed. HH doesn't show it, but the villain called down with pocket 44s.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (6.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 8.20 BB

And here's the second hand. Same villain. In light of the first hand, can I avoid betting this river, or check/calling?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 7.70 BB

kidcolin
09-23-2005, 03:02 PM
First hand is very standard bet.

If you didn't tell me he called with 44 in hand 1, I might argue for check-folding the river. I can't decide between betting or check/calling.

cartman
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
This board got pretty sick. I would have to check fold and know that against a loose passive most of the time that I have the best hand he will just check behind. The turn brought the flush in and the river brought a straight. Combine that with the fact the the flop K and Q were pretty likely to pair a cold-calling hand and I would say you are in trouble. For what it's worth, the answer to almost any question about how to play the river against a loose passive with a pair is bet and fold to a raise. I think this happens to be an exception.

Cartman

kidcolin
09-23-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still trying to figure out when to bet the river against the classic LP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just noticed your location. Then read this. Something is off.

Lurkmaster Flex
09-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Hand 1 - standard as said

Hand 2 - I think it's close between c/c and c/f. I prolly c/f also most of the time as villain won't bet a low-mid pp here or bluff you with nothing. Even when villain has a Q or a weak king you get a free showdown most of the time. Ahxh also a possiblity.

mute
09-23-2005, 04:26 PM
I valuebet. He could have any pocket pair, a three, four or some missed draw, that hit a nine on the river.

Maybe you will get a free showdown if he has a queen, but even against a loose/passive, I think you're hand is too good to check/fold if he bets. So I think most of the time you will put in one bet on the river, when you're behind anyways.