PDA

View Full Version : $30+3 early stages, AK passive action, river play?

chumsferd
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
This isn't exactly how the hand went down, but some friends and I were discussing this and didn't entirely agree about the correct play should the hand pan out this way (actually just the river). This was the 3rd or 4th hand of a $30+3 sng on Party Poker. No familiar faces and nothing extraordinary has happened so far.

Blinds T10/T15

Hero (T800) is in MP with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Preflop:

1 fold, UTG+1 (T800) calls 15, Hero raises to 55, 1 fold, Hijack (795) calls 55, folded back to UTG+1 who calls.

Flop: 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif [Pot T190]

UTG+1 bets 15, Hero calls, Hijack calls

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, Hijack checks

River: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 checks, Hero... ?

Okay, this may be a no brainer but who makes a value bet here? what hand ranges do you put UTG+1 and Hijack on? Would it be different if this were a $200+$15 sng?

EnderFFX
09-23-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd check call down. Hopefully Hijack has a King and makes a decent bet. The last thing you want is to bet, and to get reraised by someone with KQ, putting you in a tough decision.

09-23-2005, 01:27 PM
First, the hero made a mistake by not making a continuation raise on the flop. With a flop like that, there is a very good chance AK is best. The pot is 205 after UTG+1's raise, so I would fire out at least 100 right there, and see what happens. It is the hero's best chance to win the pot, without a doubt. Then if there are callers, I would probably check fold to the river. However, as it played out on the river, again, the hero probably has the best hand. With a pot of 235, I probably would fire about 100 or so with my top pair, and then fold if anyone raises. This would still leave you with plenty of chips in case you are beat.

Hard to put the other two on specific hands. With only a bet of 15 for post flop info, could be some kind of pair, or a straight draw, or could have just been a weak attempt to steal on the rag flop. Either way, you cannot worry about the straight. Bet half the pot and see what happens.

09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I disagree. I think you have to bet it, and then fold to a raise. I doubt most with kq raise; they probably just call.

09-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I put in a value bet on the river. I'd be interested to hear from people who think this is wrong.

jedinite
09-23-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put in a value bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

chumsferd
09-23-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First, the hero made a mistake by not making a continuation raise on the flop. With a flop like that, there is a very good chance AK is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I don't want to get into a debate about the flop. Just to say, I don't think it's a bad line to check. Two players saw the flop for a raise, one of them lead into the preflop raiser (albeit only a donk bet). I think the risk / reward on a continuation bet for 13% of your stack isn't great here.

If this were stars I'd probably agree with you, but this isn't really the point I wanted to focus on.

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to put the other two on specific hands. With only a bet of 15 for post flop info

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but the absence of betting tells you plenty about their hands too, right?

[ QUOTE ]
could be some kind of pair, or a straight draw, or could have just been a weak attempt to steal on the rag flop. Either way, you cannot worry about the straight. Bet half the pot and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the straight was never a consideration. The initial guy who checks isn't really a big concern either. I agree with your hand range there. If this were heads up, then sure, bet it... I wouldn't expect a call too often from him though. What about the 3rd guy. Cold calling preflop, calling the donk bet on the flop and the turning down the opportunity to bet on the turn in the face of plenty of weakness, what hand range would you put him on? Just assume a typical player in these games if that helps...