PDA

View Full Version : AQ against unknown villain

Rooger
09-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($57)
MP ($70.36)
Hero ($125.50)
Button ($49.54)
SB ($21)
BB ($75.78)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, MP calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG folds, MP calls $5.

Flop: ($14.50) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, MP calls $11.

Turn: ($36.50) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($36.50) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $15</font>, Hero?

Raise to $60 to put him all-in? Call? Is the turn check ok with 2 possible flush draws?

09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
I would put him all-in, I dont think he has QJs or a set here. Turn check was to weak. I would have bet around 20$ here to see how he responds.Nice raise pre-flop tho.

Hoopster81
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
I like a call. If you raise, what hands is he calling with that you beat?

unlucky513
09-23-2005, 12:46 PM
i don't like the check on the turn.

you need to protect your hand, not give free cards.

pushing this river doesn't look right to me.. i just call.

rikz
09-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Call. 2-pair on the river isn't strong enough to raise and give villain a change to either fold with a hand that is weak, or re-raise with a hand that is strong.

Turn check is risky, but you're essentially trading a free card to villain (bad) for pot-size control with TPWK (good). I think it's a reasonable trade off here, since villain might not be drawing at all.

When you call at the river you'll probably win a medium-sized pot. If you lose, it's still only a medium-sized pot (as opposed to all your chips with TPWK, which is what you have on the turn when a pot-bet would pretty much commit you to getting villain all-in whether you bet it or call it on the river). If a club hits on the river, then call a small river bet anyway, but fold to a pot bet or larger from villain (giving him credit for the flush).

Maulik
09-23-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't like the check on the turn.

you need to protect your hand, not give free cards.

pushing this river doesn't look right to me.. i just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

the action is very different here if you raise the turn. but with the 2 flush draws + possible straight draws you MUST raise the turn. This larger pot is okay, because we can re-evaluate the river and we create more value here.

the queen doesn't really make your hand stronger as it brings the straight here. call, his small bet.

Isura
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rooger
09-24-2005, 07:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I could get a call from a lower two pair.
Raised to $60, villain called and showed down J8 for a straight.
Must admit I didn't see the straight coming at all, so wondered if I could've played it better. A river call is probably best.