PDA

View Full Version : 2+2 IG forum vs Victory Poker

rusty JEDI
05-11-2003, 02:41 AM
Here is an update for any of those interested. I have been doing some pm with a couple VP members that like the sound of a tournament. Nothing has been hammered out at all, limit vs no limit. What site, dynamite vs true vs stars., times or anything major. Just the ground work has started.

For a little background for the VP. We held a Zoo tournament a few days ago that was run by Simon Diamond for all "regular" posters in this Internet Gambling (IG) forum. We called it the zoo because that is a little nickname for our IG forum, and the powers that be at 2+2 have a little thing called a copyright we dont want to infringe on. However for our VP vs 2+2 tourny we dont want to call it the zoo either. So we havent even come up with a name yet.

So maybe a few replies if you are interested in the tourny. If you like the truepoker added $100 they are offering, Limit vs No limit, is $30 + $3 too much for you to enter or is it not enough to make it worth your while. Or any other concerns

thanks

rJ

BBill
05-11-2003, 03:24 AM
would there be a limit for the number of players involved for either group ?

bbill

edwardr
05-11-2003, 03:30 AM

rusty JEDI
05-11-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm sure that will be fine. We are asking that this be 10 players from each group.

I do kind of have a problem with this one, because i dont want to leave anyone out. And more importantly i dont want to be the one to pick who represents us. Maybe we could go down the list of the last Zoo tourny, asking those from first on down if they want to represent us. (This would disclude me because i was unable to attend the zoo tourny due to other commitments, but i am fine with those from teh zoo representing for us all). That said though for me a maximum participation thing is more what i was looking for, but still up for suggestions.

rJ

CtPokerPro
05-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Post deleted by CtPokerPro

rusty JEDI
05-11-2003, 04:30 AM
I know you stated it in your post but some people dont have the attention span for more than a paragraph so i will restate it.

The VP vs IG tourny is in no way related to the zoo tourny. The zoo tourny is our own thing and Simons the man, and if this tourny here somehow took away from the zoo tourny then i would have nothing to do with it. This tourny we are proposing has nothing to do with the zoo, except it is following close to the last zoo tourny, and we may select players based on zoo rankings.

rJ

CtPokerPro
05-11-2003, 04:40 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I know you stated it in your post but some people dont have the attention span for more than a paragraph so i will restate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the whole point I was trying to make was stated poorly, and I apologize for making such a long post. Thanks for the clarification, and I will try to be more succinct in the future.

TruePoker CEO
05-11-2003, 05:46 AM
We have sent a few emails back and forth with VP on this. We are interested in hosting the tourney and would appreciate insight into such issues as Limt/No limit, size of the field, stakes, size of the added, (likely it would be one session at Dynamite and one session at Truepoker.)

We expect to talk with VP on Tuesday to iron out details, we will go with a format that is acceptable to 2+2ers and VP because they are YOUR teams and your bragging rights on the line.

Posts here or emails to management@truepoker.com are the best way to let us know what you all want. If you all want to delegate reaching this oonsensus to a poster here, say so. We will work with whomever.

(I'll ask about calling it the 2+2 v VP Challenge or something.)

Let us know what you want.

Truepoker Management

Mike Haven
05-11-2003, 06:08 AM
how about a simple "The VP/Zoo Challenge Match"?

now that this general idea of challenges has been brought up we can have "The Zoo/Small Stakes Challenge Match", "The Tournaments/Zoo Challenge Match", etc, in due course - whoever makes the challenge is named first in the title of the match (from the 2+2 forums point of view i am sure that each forum will come up with an appropriate nickname for themselves)

if any matches have to be limited in number for some reason or other, as you suggest, perhaps the top-ranked ten in simon diamond's King of the Zoo rankings or whatever would have first choice to play or not, and so on

it may be best to allow the challenger to pick the game, stakes, site, etc, as far as possible, so that maybe a league can be developed, with home games and away games

the challenged would then agree or not to meeting the challenge on whatever terms are offered to them - this would lessen the arguments about the fine print

lorinda
05-11-2003, 11:46 AM
I think going down the last zoo tourney list would be very unfair as people didn't know it was a kind of satellite at the time of entry.

Lori

Emperor
05-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Why only 10 from each group and not 50?

jek187
05-11-2003, 03:13 PM
I agree that it may be unfair to use the Zoo tourney as a kind of satelite. However, it does beg the question...how do we choose 10 Zoo members to represent us? Just let Rusty pick since this seems to be his baby?

rusty JEDI
05-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Me picking is definetly not an option for me. It would put me in an uncomfortable spot. Maybe it will still be opened to everyone. The problem with that though is how do we score if VP wins or if we win, if one of the groups has 50 entrants and the other has 10. Maybe if it is held to 10 we put everyone who is interested into a hat and draw for it. This wouldnt be our strongest team but would probably get a nice cross section of our forums skills and abilities.

rJ

lorinda
05-11-2003, 03:41 PM
We could ask Matt to pick the 10 HE would like to see represent him, that is if Rusty really doesn't want the job.

Lori

Simon Diamond
05-11-2003, 05:22 PM
I would rather you didn't use the rankings either. All of a sudden my comp becomes a qualifying school for this proposed team match.

Just pick the best players - it is not that hard surely. Apologies if I seem to be all arsey about this, but to cut to the chase I have had a crap weekend.

Good luck with any tourney all the same.

Simon

DanDynamitePoker
05-11-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi 2+2,

The last time I posted here (and the forum looked much different then) was in June 2001, almost 2 years ago asking for players to come by and try out our tournaments. Believe it or not, this was pre-Stars and pre-True. We really do appreciate those who answered the call and came by, especially those players who continue to enjoy playing with us and those who continually give us suggestions on how to improve our product.

Now to the present. Based on feedback from some VP members and their responses on the 2+2 forum, we would be honored to host one of the matches between the 2 groups, adding $100 to the prize pool. The details of the tournaments should of course be worked out by the 2 groups. VP knows our tournament capabilities, and can request from us the format of the tournament. (FYI: We are flexible on buy-in, starting chips, round length, blinds &amp; betting limits, decision making time, breaks if any, prize
distribution, etc...)

What might be interesting is a bounty format for the $100 added, where the player who knocks out another player (assuming 20 players), automatically receives a $5 bonus. That's just one idea but I'm sure that 2+2 and VP will be able to come up with a competitive format.

If you are unsure about registering, how to join any of our tournaments, or having any difficulties with our site, you may page us online or email us at support@dynamitepoker.com. If you have any questions of a public nature, you may post them here and I'll do my best to answer your post.

Sincerely,

Daniel Williams
DynamitePoker.com
Dan@DynamitePoker.com

Bubmack
05-11-2003, 08:57 PM
It is probably the most fair way to develop a team. Those with the most posts have the right of way into the tournament.

Who cares if we don't have the best possible team - but we will have the team that represents the forum the best.

jek187
05-11-2003, 10:34 PM
I'm just going off the top of my head here...but this is what the lineup would look like:
Granny (if available) MS Sunshine, Lorinda, Beernutz, Homer J, and Jimbo are the ones w/ &gt; 500 posts that I can think of.
&gt; 400 Simon Diamond, Inthacup, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.
&gt; 300 Rusty Jedi, Hung, and probably a slew of others.

I just hope that we don't need to get to the 100-150 range...that would mean Onlinechamp and Poker Scene.

rusty JEDI
05-11-2003, 10:58 PM
Im fine with whatever lineup the board comes to a consensus on. Haven also has &gt;500 posts.

Simon Diamond
05-11-2003, 11:39 PM
Honestly, pick the best players. Don't pick me because I have 400 posts or whatever, because a) I am not a good poker player, and b) most of my posts are two lines long and are not ground breaking.

Here is a story from my school days. We used to have a five-a-side football (soccer) competition every year, which used to be played in front of the whole school on the playing field. It wasn't quite like the World Cup final, but felt like it as a twelve year old /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

To get to the point, each class entered a team and my class was the strongest in our age category. We won two cups in my four years there, but the one year we didn't have a chance. The teacher that year decided that the best way to pick the team was to draw lots. People ended up playing that had never played before and we lost in the first match. I wasn't picked, and as one of the better players in our team was slightly miffed.

Fortunately the year after I was captain, picked the strongest side and top scored for the winning team. All is well that ends well (okay will stop the history lesson now!)

If you are serious about winning such a team battle, then you must pick the strongest side. Pick players of my calibre and you are giving yourself a deficit immediately.

There are people around here who know they are good, and there are others who will be able to scout the board for talent.

Good luck,
Simon

lorinda
05-12-2003, 01:33 AM
Again, this is a fun forum, the thing that seperates us from the other forums here is that although we help each other out, we have a good laugh doing it at the same time.

I would propose that the team be selected on posting merit, entertainment value, usefulness of posts and other qualities relevant to this particular forum, of which playing ability has very little value.

In my opinion that would represent the nature of this forum rather than just picking a team that would win, let's have some fun while we're at it.

Lori

CtPokerPro
05-12-2003, 01:55 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm just going off the top of my head here...but this is what the lineup would look like:
Granny (if available) MS Sunshine, Lorinda, Beernutz, Homer J, and Jimbo are the ones w/ &gt; 500 posts that I can think of.
&gt; 400 Simon Diamond, Inthacup, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.
&gt; 300 Rusty Jedi, Hung, and probably a slew of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to stick my neck out here, and possibly risk bodily harm. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I'm sure that Granny will be back in time for this, as I know she will be back in time for the next IG tournament.

Whether she is a choice for you guys as part of the lineup, or whether she even wants to play are both questions that I can't answer. All I can say is that she will be back, and I hear it will be pretty soon.

I actually think she would have already made a post if she had her password, but she will be home soon and posting again. She has asked me to pass a couple of messages along, which I have. Beyond that, all I can add is that she has not missed a thing in the last 2 days. You folks are very kind in your words, and it should be noted that it has not been missed by her OR her family.

rusty JEDI
05-12-2003, 02:02 AM
I would propose that the team be selected on posting merit, entertainment value, usefulness of posts and other qualities relevant to this particular forum, of which playing ability has very little value.

In my opinion that would represent the nature of this forum rather than just picking a team that would win, let's have some fun while we're at it.

This is also very much how i feel, because it is more about the fun than the money. I also see why you want it this way....So you can beat up on us fish. j/k
I would also like to open it up to maximum participation as well, but VP has mentioned keeping it down to 10, and for a first time that may be a good idea.

rJ

lorinda
05-12-2003, 02:39 AM
If we kept it to 3 members, we could play against the whole of Pokerscene in a three-way match.

My picks:

GrannyMae
MS Sunshine
Jimbo
Jek188 (To see if the padawan is ready)
Beernutz
Ted Geisel
Tom D (Without the kook, there would be no goon)
Rusty Jedi
Simon Diamond
Mike Haven

OMG that's ten already?

Sorry to all missed off that list, those ten have probably made me wet myself with laughter just a little tiny bit more, either that or I've forgotten something as It's rather late here.

Lori

edwardr
05-12-2003, 02:54 AM

lorinda
05-12-2003, 03:00 AM
Could still have the best of three idea, and have the rules that 10 different players must play in each match.

Maybe make the first one $30, the second one $20 and the third one $10.

Also maybe have one NL one PL and one Limit.

Because these would attract plenty of railbirds, the diversity should give more to talk about afterwards.

I would also say that all three games should be played.

If the proposition goes along those lines, these are the ideas I would add.

Lori

jek187
05-12-2003, 03:10 AM
I like all the ideas except the differing entry fees. I would like to think my contribution to the limit tourney would count just as much as someone else's contribution to the the NL tourney.

jek187
05-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Lori, I think you need to be on the list.

edwardr
05-12-2003, 03:22 AM

n1stunnor
05-12-2003, 04:07 AM
If you guys need me you know i'll be there.

If not,no big deal.

rusty JEDI
05-12-2003, 04:32 AM
This all looks good to me. I like the idea of having a different 10 for each event from our side anyway too, and if we cant fill an all new 10 then we can always double up from the first. Also Jek if you are in the $10 No Limit then your contribution is just as large because the winning forum i assume will be based on a points system unrelated to the buyin amount.

Here is a second note to all those interested. This is a good opportunity to get some Bonus Whoring in if you are a first timer. Go get your 20% and play some ring while you are there.

lorinda
05-12-2003, 05:22 AM
Also Jek if you are in the $10 No Limit then your contribution is just as large because the winning forum i assume will be based on a points system unrelated to the buyin amount.

Thanks for clearing that Rusty, the only reason I thought maybe different entry fees was to give as many people as possible a shot at playing. Certainly the three games should be worth equal points.

The other thing about having different value buyins is I think that the teams will kind of choose themselves just a litle better.

Lori

BBill
05-12-2003, 08:10 AM
wow it appears that this tourney is really gonna happen !!
I'd better work on my tournament standings over at Dynamite so I can qualify to play !!

bbill
(alias at Dynamite)

TruePoker CEO
05-12-2003, 10:52 AM
As I understand it, the proposed 3 event format calls for 3 tourneys, with Truepoker hosting a $100 added, 20 player, No-Limit Tourney, with a $30.00 buy-in as the final event. (We will not charge any fee, just the buy-in)

That is fine. I expect to be discussing this tomorrow with Dynamite's rep. and anticipate an easily reached accord between our sites.

For our information, what dates and times are best for the 3 events ?

Can each side provide both the sites and the participants a couple of days notice of the dates, times and who is playing ?

Rusty is correct .... Any participants at Truepoker who are new players are eligible for the 20% Bonus program for their initial deposit. (A funded real money account will be necessary to play in the tourney to make the buy-in.)

Thanks for the opportunity to host this illustious event.

David Gzesh
Truepoker CEO