PDA

View Full Version : Explain these foods to me.

lem45216
09-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Inspired by the Grapenuts post, and me not knowing what they were. Please could some americans explain to me

a) What a twinky is?

b) What Egg Nogg is?

and

c) What Taco Bell is?

We get none of these in the UK. Are we a deprived nation because of this, or are we better off without them?

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 11:27 AM
YSSCKY

RunDownHouse
Apparently you don't get Google in the UK either.

dcasper70
[ QUOTE ]

c) What Taco Bell is?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to move

IndieMatty
I will sponser your visa. Get the [censored] out now while you can.

samjjones
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Inspired by the Grapenuts post, and me not knowing what they were. Please could some americans explain to me

a) What a twinky is?

b) What Egg Nogg is?

and

c) What Taco Bell is?

We get none of these in the UK? Are we a deprived nation because of this, or are we better off without them?

[/ QUOTE ]

A Twinkie is an angel food cake shaped in cylindrical form, filled with a vanilla creme. They are filled with preservatives, and have a shelf life of like 2 years.

Egg nog is milk and egg yolks mixed in with booze. A Christmas classic.

Taco Bell is a quasi-Mexican fast food chain. Tacos, burritos, etc.

steelcmg
09-23-2005, 11:31 AM
I say u need to visit the good ol' USA and find out for your self my friend.

lem45216
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Thankyou samjjones, i can rest easy at night now.

Hmm, the US doesn't really strike me as a very touristy destination to be honest. But you all seem to rate these foods rather highly, so maybe i will have to come visit as an educational excursion.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
Isn't egg nog just the milk and eggs and then most people just mix it with alcohol of some form?

samjjones
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't egg nog just the milk and eggs and then most people just mix it with alcohol of some form?

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that what I said?

RunDownHouse
09-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Egg Nog isn't an alcoholic beverage, to the best of my knowledge.

I just did a search for Taco Bell in the UK and couldn't come up with anything, which surprised me. You guys have Pizza Hut, right? And a couple other fast food chains?

lem45216
09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I just did a search for Taco Bell in the UK and couldn't come up with anything, which surprised me. You guys have Pizza Hut, right? And a couple other fast food chains?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. But no Taco Bell. Pizza Hut is the only one of the above that really appeals to me though, the McDonalds and Burger Kings over here are rather off putting, and it annoys me how the burgers never look like they do in the pictures.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
By rule, it doesn't, but it's common practice to add some rum or other tasty spirits.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
By rule, it doesn't, but it's pretty much mandatory to add some rum or other tasty spirits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rum, Bourbon, Brandy

Vish
09-23-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hmm, the US doesn't really strike me as a very touristy destination to be honest. But you all seem to rate these foods rather highly, so maybe i will have to come visit as an educational excursion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, I'll probably take some serious [censored] for this, but Taco Bell is no reason to come to the U.S., much less twinkies. You can get much better food in Europe, on average (though I hear English is food is crap).

That said, I do understand the love of fast food like Taco Bell and Quiznos and such. I've been out of the country a couple months, and though the gourmet type food here is much better, sometimes I just crave a really good sandwich or burger.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 12:13 PM
You made it sound like there was alcohol in egg nog.

willie
09-23-2005, 12:18 PM
taco bell is complete ass compared to Mighty Taco

western nyers will back me on this to the death.

(although i've relocated to south esastern ny, and therefore am mighty-less /images/graemlins/frown.gif )

jdl22
09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
a) Twinkie

A twinkie is a type of pastry (sort of). The middle is cream filled, the outside is this type of spongy cake. They aren't good at all compared to donuts but are cheaper and are often eaten by children. They have an insanely long shelf life supposedly.

b) egg nog
it's a drink about the same thickness as a runny milkshake. It is made using eggs as you could guess and has an eggy flavor. Usually made with hazelnut I believe as well. Very common drink at Christmas parties and around christmas time. When adults drink it normally there is some brandy or other alcohol in there. Egg nog is actually very good at masking the alcohol so you can get pretty drunk on it. When someone says someones been drinking too much egg nog it's a reference to them being drunk.

c) taco bell
taco bell is a fast food restaurant. It's supposed to be Mexican food but it's nowhere near authentic. You have tacos, burritos, and other stereotypical mexican dishes like chalupas. It's perhaps the most popular fast food restaurant in the US in terms of peoples opinion of it, certainly for people between the age of 15 and 35.

imported_The Vibesman
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A Twinkie is an angel food cake shaped in cylindrical form, filled with a vanilla creme. They are filled with preservatives, and have a shelf life of like 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

20 years, baby.

canis582
09-23-2005, 12:24 PM
You should come visit America, especially topton, pa. My gf and I get sunday breakfast at a place called jaks. With coffee and hot coco, the bill is less than $10, which would be 5 pounds for you.
There were tons of blokes in Vegas.

Twinkie must sound gay to you. I think I know what a twink is.

joeski19
09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. But no Taco Bell. Pizza Hut is the only one of the above that really appeals to me though, the McDonalds and Burger Kings over here are rather off putting, and it annoys me how the burgers never look like they do in the pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like SickDonalds, KFC, or Burger King you can rest assured that you will not like Taco Bell. Personally you'd have to pay me to eat a Taco Bell. It's like eating out of the garbage.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you can rest assured that you will not like Taco Bell. Personally you'd have to pay me to eat a Taco Bell. It's like eating what the rat that eats out of the garbage shat back out.

[/ QUOTE ]

IndieMatty
09-23-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like SickDonalds, KFC, or Burger King you can rest assured that you will not like Taco Bell. Personally you'd have to pay me to eat a Taco Bell. It's like eating out of the garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

If garbage was:

http://www.phoood.com/weblog/gorditacrunch.jpg

I'd gladly be this:

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2004/01/27/feat/sc27-oscar-01014n-2.jpg

willie
09-23-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If garbage was:

I'd gladly be this:

[/ QUOTE ]

you're such a grouch oscar.

IndieMatty
09-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Doesn't he look so happy there?

canis582
09-23-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If garbage was:

I'd gladly be this:

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yes, everytime I open up my taco bell, I go "wow, just like in the picture"

theben
09-23-2005, 01:14 PM
twinky = a cake made by the hostess company. it is a yellow sponge cake filled with white creme filling. it is cylindrical in shape, about 6 inches long and rounded on the ends

egg nog = i think it is a spiced milk/egg drink served around thanksgiving and christmas. i never drink it so i cant tell u much about iit

taco bell = a cheap, "fast food" restaraunt that serves tacos, burritos, and other "mexican" items. its essentially a low grade, americanized fast food mexican joint similiair to Mcdonalds

theben
09-23-2005, 01:15 PM
since you are from the UK, explain these foods to me:

1. eels
2. meat puddings
3. why do you call french fries chips

theben
09-23-2005, 01:17 PM
i love cheesey gordita crunches. even when they went "off" the menu, i still ordered them

MrMon
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can get much better food in Europe, on average (though I hear English is food is crap).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're about 20 years out of date on English food. I haven't been there in awhile, but this stereotype has been dead a long time. Yes, there are the typical terrible steakhouses, but if you know where to look, food in the UK is as good as anywhere else in Europe.

American food is good as well, you just have to pay for it. Mass-produced food is never great, some is decent, but if you pay for quality, you generally get it.

lem45216
09-23-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. eels
2. meat puddings

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Only old people eat eels, i live right next to the river where they catch them all. Eels as i'm sure you know, are slimy fish which look a bit like snakes, i can't comment on what they taste like, as like i said, only old people eat them. They look rather horrible to me. I think you eat them in pies, but they're quite rare now.

2. Meat Puddings. By this i assume you mean Suet Pudding, or Spotted Dick. I can't really comment on this either because no one eats this any more either. Well maybe old people again. Suet is raw beef fat, so i doubt it tastes very meaty anyway. So contrary to american belief, we don't order a meat pudding after a main course or anything.

Both the eels and the suet pudding are kinda 19th Century foods, for more information, read Charles Dickens.

3. French Fries/Chips - Why do you all call them french fries? They're not french, they're belgian. And the things you call chips, are actually crisps. Chips are thick chunks of potato cooked in animal fat. French Fries are poor imitations. The only places you can get 'french fries' in the UK is McDonalds and Burger King and everyone always turns them down when asked if they'd like them with their meal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/images/recipes/chips_300x193.jpg
Chips

http://elt.britcoun.org.pl/ffoto/crisps.jpg
Crisps

http://www.displayit-info.com/food/images/fastfood/5510.JPG
'French' Fries

M2d
09-23-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meat Puddings. By this i assume you mean Suet Pudding, or Spotted Dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have officially sworn off british food. any place that has a dish called "spotted dick" is going to get the automatic boycott from me.

B Dids
09-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Eel grosses me the [censored] out, but I would totally eat some Meat Pudding. (that sounds equally sexual as "spotted dick").

From what I gather, a lot of traditional old school English food is pretty much nasty ass parts of the animal that we don't eat anymore.

lem45216
09-23-2005, 01:53 PM
It's not like we eat it either, tis but a myth.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You eat the dick and you know it.

CCass
09-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I ain't eating nothing with the word "dick" in it.

stabn
09-23-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 stars.

sleight
09-23-2005, 05:03 PM
You have not lived until you have stepped inside a combination KFC/Pizza Hut/Taco Bell (aka Chicken Taco Hut/Slut) and ordered one item from each food type.

There's even a combo A&W/Long John Silvers. Yeah, I'd like a root beer fish stick float, please.

09-23-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meat Puddings. By this i assume you mean Suet Pudding, or Spotted Dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have officially sworn off british food. any place that has a dish called "spotted dick" is going to get the automatic boycott from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a homophobe. Try it you might like it.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

a) What a twinky is?

b) What Egg Nogg is?

and

c) What Taco Bell is?

We get none of these in the UK? Are we a deprived nation because of this, or are we better off without them?

[/ QUOTE ]

A Twinkie is an angel food cake shaped in cylindrical form, filled with a vanilla creme. They are filled with preservatives, and have a shelf life of like 2 years.

Egg nog is milk and egg yolks mixed in with booze. A Christmas classic.

Taco Bell is a quasi-Mexican fast food chain. Tacos, burritos, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Egg nog also has nutmeg in it, which plays a very big part in the flavor. Some people put sugar in it.

The traditional booze to put in it is rum, but now there are recipes with almost every imaginable type of booze, including some pretty unlikely ones.

Here is an excerpt I found googling:

[ QUOTE ]
Eggnog! - History

Many believe that eggnog is a tradition that was brought to America from Europe. This is partially true. Eggnog is related to various milk and wine punches that had been concocted long ago in the "Old World". However, in America a new twist was put on the theme. Rum was used in the place of wine. In Colonial America, rum was commonly called "grog", so the name eggnog is likely derived from the very descriptive term for this drink, "egg-and-grog", which corrupted to egg'n'grog and soon to eggnog. At least this is one version...

Other experts would have it that the "nog" of eggnog comes from the word "noggin". A noggin was a small, wooden, carved mug. It was used to serve drinks at table in taverns (while drinks beside the fire were served in tankards). It is thought that eggnog started out as a mixture of Spanish "Sherry" and milk. The English called this concoction "Dry sack posset". It is very easy to see how an egg drink in a noggin could become eggnog.

The true story might be a mixture of the two and eggnog was originally called "egg and grog in a noggin". This was a term that required shortening if ever there was one.

With it's European roots and the availability of the ingredients, eggnog soon became a popular wintertime drink throughout Colonial America. It had much to recomend it; it was rich, spicy, and alcoholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

As to Taco Bell, it is a bottom drawer version of Mexican food, disrespectfully called Taco Hell by some. The food is very sub-par, and the "meat" is a extremely small portions of a particularly miserable incredibly finely ground flavorless hamburger for the most part.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Those are horrible, Matty, but thanks for the Oscar picture.

dibbs
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
For some odd reason I find the idea of a Brit at Taco Bell hilarious.

You're not missing anything.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 05:39 PM
One English food combo that I thought sounded really weird was Kippers and Eggs. In America we eat bacon and eggs as the most popular combo, and sometimes we eat sausage and eggs, usually with tiny little pork sausages. Pretty different flavors from fish.

But then I tried kippers and eggs, and it was great! Kippers are smoked fish -- herring, I think? -- so there's actually more similarity in taste to bacon or sausage than you'd think likely. But more importantly, it just works well with the eggs.

It's definitely worth a try, if you've never had it before. I like it better than bacon and eggs now myself.

TheBlueMonster
09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We get none of these in the UK. Are we a deprived nation because of this, or are we better off without them?

[/ QUOTE ]

SackUp
09-23-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fvucking comic gold here.

haven't laughed out loud at some random OOT stuff in a while.

spamuell
09-23-2005, 07:41 PM
You should know what the first two of these are if you watch American sitcoms and The Simpsons. You should know what Taco Bell is because it's obvious from the context in which it's consistently mentioned in. I was in Chicago a few weeks ago and I was tempted to eat in one, but someone told me it was "sketch" and said something about illegal meat then took me to Chipotle which was great. I have no idea wtf I ate but it was really big.

09-23-2005, 07:56 PM
web page (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggnog.htm)

M2d
09-23-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Don't be a homophobe. Try it you might like it.

[/ QUOTE ]
how do you know I'm not a homophile? it's the "spotted" part, in conjuction with a body part that's offputting.

mostsmooth
09-23-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently you don't get Google in the UK either.

[/ QUOTE ]
why does everybody around here have hardons for google?

lem45216
09-23-2005, 09:31 PM
One (or both depending on if you work in an anti pudding establishment) of these images is NSFW, i shall say no more than that.

Spotted Dick (http://blogs.salon.com/0001444/images/2003/06/02/heinz%20spotted%20dick.jpg)

Spotted Dick (http://www.dermis.net/bilder/CD33/img0043.jpg)

Mmmmmmmmmm, tasty.

canis582
09-25-2005, 09:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

As to Taco Bell, it is a bottom drawer version of Mexican food, disrespectfully called Taco Hell by some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you didnt get the memo, its called Toxic Hell or Ghetto Bell.

lem45216
10-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Chipotle > explain.

What is it?

stabn
10-06-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chipotle > explain.

What is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

burrito place. Why not just google it?

lem45216
10-06-2005, 07:41 PM
Ok done.

So, just to clarify. Its like Taco Bell?

stabn
10-06-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok done.

So, just to clarify. Its like Taco Bell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no. It has a limited menu, basically just burrito's and taco's. I'd consider it more like a wrap place that serves a somewhat mexican flavored wrap.

lem45216
10-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Ah ok, and what do people generally prefer? Taco Bell or Chipotle?

stabn
10-06-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to start a flame war?

lem45216
10-06-2005, 07:48 PM
hmm, no, this is obviously a sensitive topic, i've just seen a lot of people with Taco Bell allegiances and a lot of people who favour Chipotle. We have neither over here. Thanks for enlightening me all the same.

stabn
10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hmm, no, this is obviously a sensitive topic, i've just seen a lot of people with Taco Bell allegiances and a lot of people who favour Chipotle. We have neither over here. Thanks for enlightening me all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

np. Just watch the taco bell / chipotle name dropping unless you are ready to throw down.

MrX
10-06-2005, 10:34 PM
You have not been to dowtown Vegas til you have tried one

http://shinyshot.com/photos/whylasvegasnv/twinkies.jpg

Claunchy
10-06-2005, 10:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Chipotle is clearly the higher "quality" food, as it is made with fresher ingredients, and it's a bit more expensive.

Taco Bell is cheap, greasy food, but sometimes you gotta have some cheap, greasy food.

Blarg
10-06-2005, 11:10 PM
You can definitely taste the cheap in every bite.

10-06-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. eels
2. meat puddings

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Only old people eat eels, i live right next to the river where they catch them all. Eels as i'm sure you know, are slimy fish which look a bit like snakes, i can't comment on what they taste like, as like i said, only old people eat them. They look rather horrible to me. I think you eat them in pies, but they're quite rare now.

2. Meat Puddings. By this i assume you mean Suet Pudding, or Spotted Dick. I can't really comment on this either because no one eats this any more either. Well maybe old people again. Suet is raw beef fat, so i doubt it tastes very meaty anyway. So contrary to american belief, we don't order a meat pudding after a main course or anything.

Both the eels and the suet pudding are kinda 19th Century foods, for more information, read Charles Dickens.

3. French Fries/Chips - Why do you all call them french fries? They're not french, they're belgian. And the things you call chips, are actually crisps. Chips are thick chunks of potato cooked in animal fat. French Fries are poor imitations. The only places you can get 'french fries' in the UK is McDonalds and Burger King and everyone always turns them down when asked if they'd like them with their meal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/images/recipes/chips_300x193.jpg
Chips

http://elt.britcoun.org.pl/ffoto/crisps.jpg
Crisps

http://www.displayit-info.com/food/images/fastfood/5510.JPG
'French' Fries

[/ QUOTE ]

Eel is delicious.

send_the_msg
10-07-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

none of these things are worth visiting the US for, and there are plenty more reasons to stay out.

gunt
10-07-2005, 12:25 AM
what about bangers and mash?

BruinEric
10-07-2005, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

a) What a twinky is?

b) What Egg Nogg is?

and

c) What Taco Bell is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Others have answered your actual questions, but I'll give opinions on them.

There is no reason for you to try a twinkie. If you come across one, try it if you must, but not worth seeking out in any way, shape or form.

As for Egg Nog, there are recipes on the Internet -- and all the ingredients are at your disposal. Be forewarned that true, "homemade" egg nog is truly different than the faux gunk we buy in cartons near Christmas time -- which is what most posters here are probably writing about. This stuff is a thick vanilla-tasting milk drink with a bit of nutmeg spice and rum-flavoring.

Taco Bell is not worth a further thought from you ever. It is essentially extremely cheap ingredients and "stretchers" combined to somewhat resemble mexican food. (What I mean by "stretchers" is that their beef is not 100% beef -- there is grain meal used as a stretcher. Their cheese barely qualifies as cheese, etc.) The food is fodder for the younger as many items are very, very inexpensive. You can surely find better examples of mexican food even in the UK than this.

Blarg
10-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Agreed on all counts.

And I'd especially agree that you shouldn't judge egg nog by the super-sweet, cloying crap you get out of the cartons at the supermarket. That stuff is pretty nasty. Any half-competent home-made stuff is way better than that. It's great when it has a good kick of booze in it. But super dangerous, because it's super rich, so it's not all that easy to taste the booze. Ye kin git likkered up on it afore ya knows it.

Edge34
10-07-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what about bangers and mash?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I was just thinking...this stuff is good.