PDA

View Full Version : 3-6 hand

Allan
05-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I actually had to make a point to get into stud games since i've started studying the game a few months ago. I just hate to give up winning hours of hold 'em trying to learn another game but I'm forcing myself to at least play 1-3 hours of stud per week. I'm finding that this is a good decision as the games look pretty good (despite me not knowing much) and reminds me of why I started playing this game in the first place: trying to apply strategy and figure things out.

Anyway I wanted to post this hand to get some comments on. It is from an online 3-6 game and perhaps routine to you guys but the third street play was a question in my mind. It is a 7 handed table with a $.50 ante and a $1 bring in. I'll call it a loose game.

(x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif brings it in
(x,x)6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif calls
(6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif)Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif me!! I raise
(x,x)5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif folds
(x,x)9 /forums/images/icons/club.gif folds
(x,x)5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif folds
(x,x)K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif folds

the raise gets called by the bring in and limper.

First of all is this raise good with two of my pair cards out and one of my flush cards out?

I think the rest of the hand is routine but I'll post it for comments anyway.

4th street:

(x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
(x,x)6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
(6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif)Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif
I bet and get called by both opponents

5th street:

(x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
(x,x)6 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif K /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif
(6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif)Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

I bet and the (x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif stays with me

6th street:

(x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif
(6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif)Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

bet to me and I call

river:

(x,x)2 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif (x)
(6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif K /forums/images/icons/club.gif)Q /forums/images/icons/club.gif 3 /forums/images/icons/club.gif A /forums/images/icons/spade.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif (7c)

bet to me and I raise and get called.

Look OK?

Thanks again,

Allan

Andy B
05-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Raising third street is fine. I sometimes limp, sometimes raise, leaning towards a limp in this case. The rest of the hand is straightforward. At first, I thought that you tried a bluff raise on the end, since you had /forums/images/icons/club.gifs for your first four cards but had the river card as (7c), which doesn't look as much like a club as /forums/images/icons/club.gif does. If you hadn't connected on the river, a bluff raise was very unlikely to work, for whatever that's worth.

MRBAA
05-11-2003, 10:44 AM
I think this raise if very good. I'd almost always raise in this position -- queen, king, ace or jack showing, which is the highest card on the board. It gives you many more ways to win later -- really tough for an opponent to call if you pair your queen later or make an open pair. The fact that you acted early and risk losing callers who would give you odds for your flush draw is secondary to the deception you create both for this hand and hands where you do have a high pair. Well played on every street, and nice catch on the river.

SittingBull
05-12-2003, 02:29 AM
create deception by raising on 3rd,then U accomplished your purpose.
However,your raise on 3rd was more of a pure bluff --not a semi- bluff since U had some semi-dead cards.
I would prefer to have raised if my two big cards were completely live.
In this case,I would have a much better chance of pairing one of my big cards and going against smaller/medium pairs
if I did not improve to a 4-flush.
Hence,I would NOT have raised in your case--I would have wanted more of a "crowd" for a possible 4-flush.
Happy pokering, /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
SittingBull
Congratulations on taking it down! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
05-12-2003, 10:26 AM
On third, I don't like the raise. As you said, two of your pair cards (and one of your clubs) are dead. Also, you're playing a hand that likes multi-way action. You should just call and hope more limpers enter the pot. It's better to raise with three flushes when you're last or nearly last and several have already limped, and when your cards are real live.

your later streets play was OK.

al