PDA

View Full Version : MUSIC: Death Cab For Cutie

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
So... I'm a casual fan of Death Cab For Cutie and I like the handful of the songs I've heard. I do have a live recording of DCFC from a few years ago, I don't remember where or when it was exactly, but I don't have any albums. Any fans out there? How is Plans? Soul Meets Body just came on and it reminded me that I want to get some DCFC. How does Plans stack up to earlier albums? Should I go get Plans or should I start with something else?

bwana devil
09-23-2005, 11:14 AM
cant answer a single one of your questions so i decided to respond.

i can tell you ill see death cab for cutie tomorrow at www.aclfest.com (http://www.aclfest.com) . we missed the hurricane.

lem45216
09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
They're a bit to eeeeemmmmmmoooooooo, for me. Though i did i like one song of theirs that i heard. Haven't the foggiest idea what it was called though.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I've often wondered what's next for these newer bands as far as names go.

Death cab for Cutie? Their music might be good, but the band name is absolutely atrocious.

In keeping with the silly theme though, if I ever fronted a band, these are the names I'd find acceptable:

Acidic Diarrhea

Dex and the Warts

(Just kidding Dex, nuthin but love, bro.)

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Death cab for Cutie? Their music might be good, but the band name is absolutely atrocious.

In keeping with the silly theme though, if I ever fronted a band, these are the names I'd find acceptable:

Acidic Diarrhea

Dex and the Warts

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, Death Cab For Cutie has been around for a while.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Meh, the name is still lame.

Even if they came up with it in the 80s.

Patrick, if you were fronting a band, what would you call it?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Patrick, if you were fronting a band, what would you call it?

[/ QUOTE ]
The Bus Drivers.

IndieMatty
09-23-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Acidic Diarrhea

Dex and the Warts

[/ QUOTE ]

The band name is a Ruttles (humor brit band) song FWIW. So it has meaning..sort of. They didn't just make it up to sound "indie".

istewart
09-23-2005, 11:26 AM
I would like to know too. I would group this band in my "guilty pleasure" category, if that exists, because I acknowledge that they sound really gay at times but IMO it's [censored] catchy.

I like the new song but don't have the album.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Acidic Diarrhea

Dex and the Warts

[/ QUOTE ]

The band name is a Ruttles (humor brit band) song FWIW. So it has meaning..sort of. They didn't just make it up to sound "indie".

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I'm not knocking the band, just the name. But, I guess you remember who they are eh?

Now, your turn: what would you call a new band you formed today?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
No, Shajen. It's YOUR turn.

I might also call my band Desperation Rings True to the Shallow Listeners of Nomads. Either that or Bus Drivers. Or else I'd just make up some word that sounds like it's something badass. It all depends on the ratio of a bass guitars to synth keyboards.

bwana devil
09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what would you call a new band you formed today?

[/ QUOTE ]

sound check

a tounge-in-cheek, anti-advertisement name for a punk band.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:34 AM
I have to go again?

Hmmm. I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

Yeah, that's what I'd call the band:

"I don't like this at all"

Those "in the know" could call us "Fisting Death"

usmfan
09-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I want a turn. This was going to be our 16 yr old punk band until we realized nobody could play:

Smegma and the Foreskins.

IndieMatty
09-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Off the top of my head? A band name?

Has the Rolling Stones been used?

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
This might need it's own thread, as I don't want to offtopic Patrick's OP much more than we already have.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This might need it's own thread, as I don't want to offtopic Patrick's OP much more than we already have.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored] it. Nobody cares about DCFC.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Off the top of my head? A band name?

Has the Rolling Stones been used?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, that's a good one.

SomethingClever
09-23-2005, 11:50 AM
I like DCFC, but I couldn't tell you which albums are good. I have all their songs on my computer and just shuffle through them.

You might also like The Postal Service, check 'em out.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might also like The Postal Service, check 'em out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I've got Give Up.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 11:54 AM
I like Postal Service better although I'm not totally thrilled with either. DCFC's new CD is ok so far but I've only listened to it like once.

/edit I'll listen to Plans and the Chords one while at work today and get back to you after lunch.

Georgia Avenue
09-23-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't much care for DCFC but if you like Postal Service you should seek out Figurine, who are awesome and contain some of the NON-DCFC future PS collaborators. Phew...

By the way, have you heard the Indie Rock Joke?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 12:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
have you heard the Indie Rock Joke?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how to respond to this.

Georgia Avenue
09-23-2005, 12:10 PM
It's really good you should check it out.

john smith
09-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I suggest you check out Transatlanticism, it's what got me hooked on DCFC and in my opinion it's much better than Plans.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you check out Transatlanticism, it's what got me hooked on DCFC and in my opinion it's much better than Plans.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's right. I've been meaning to pick up Transatlanticism for a while and just haven't for some reason.