PDA

View Full Version : river call when i "know" i'm beat

asofel
09-23-2005, 10:46 AM
So last night was full of beats. I let this affect my play unfortunately and I tilted some. Hands that I knew I should fold, I'd call. Here's an example.

Villains are all idiots. They'll chase, call down with K high, and generally drive me to thoughts of homicide. Knowing this, should I be able to find a fold on the river?

Also, previous streets seem fairly aggressive now looking back, but I really felt that I was ahead through the turn.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter (http://www.pokerhand.org)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, MP folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero...?

09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Over-calling definitely seems like suicide here....

asofel
09-23-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it does...the pots so big and these players are truly awful that i'm wondering if there's still any reason to...

09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes it does...the pots so big and these players are truly awful that i'm wondering if there's still any reason to...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess you only need to be right ~4-5% of the time but I have a hard time believing you're ahead of SB very often on the turn even.

TomBrooks
09-23-2005, 08:13 PM
River fold looks safe, but getting 22:1, I'd call it.

PS: I would have gone into call down mode after the flop three-bet.

Moozh
09-24-2005, 04:30 AM
This is another one of those where you have to call anyway because if you're actually wrong, you'd have to kill yourself.

TheMetetron
09-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Fold the river. You are never ahead enough.

mute
09-24-2005, 06:25 AM
You said the were calling down a lot with weak hands, if that implies that they were generally passive, then I think it's OK to fold the turn. SB 3bet the flop and then checkraised the turn. Occasionally you have some outs against two pair, but more often you are drawing dead or very thin, IMO.

Definitely fold the river.