PDA

View Full Version : short stack on the buble

paulish
09-23-2005, 09:19 AM
One table $10+1 SnG on Party (10 players, 3 prizes, start chips: T800)

4 players left
Blinds: 100/200
Hero: T500
The 3 other players all have T2.500 and seem pretty decent, and you know there is only a slim chance that BB will fold when you push. (The pott is giving him 1-2,67 on a call here)

UTG/CO folds and you’re on the Button. Which hands do you fold here? If you fold on Button, which hands do you fold UTG/CO?

I'm thinking of hands like
[7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif]
[9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif],
[6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif]
[T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif]
[9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif]
etc.

09-23-2005, 09:33 AM
Playing short stacked on the bubble in SnGs is very tricky, and one of the most important skills you need to show a profit playing them.

IMO,the only hand you should play in this spot are pairs, any Ax, KQ, KJ, QJ, K10, Q10 and J10. Fold everything else. You still have one more hand before the blind comes around to you, so this spot's not the time to panic. If the BB makes it to you and you still have 500 4-handed, then play whatever your dealt, as you'll be getting good enough odds to do so.

The important thing to remember when playing on a short stack on the bubble in a SnG is that you need to give yourself every opportunity to make 3rd if you can. Sometimes folding and hoping for a big confrontation between 2 other players will do the trick, and sometimes you gotta push them in and hope for the best.

kyro
09-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I might push a suited connector like 65s, but the rest of them I probably fold and just hope for a decent hand next hand. you've got the right idea.

09-23-2005, 10:08 AM
This is one of the few situations where I would be willing to risk being blinded out. There is not enough chips to create any FE against the big, so I would wait for my next playable hand and push. This is a broad range of hands, including middle connectors, any suited connectors 34 or better, any queen or higher, etc. If I do not get one, I just hope for one on one when I am on the blinds and call because of decent odds with nearly any two. But at this point, I definitely do not push with 23o, 72, 96, etc.

schwza
09-23-2005, 10:40 AM
you need better than average to play utg, but not by too much. you need better than average b/c if you double up now, you still have to pay the blind. if you double up next hand, you've already paid. also there's some chance AA v KK happens and you squeak in.

not sure exactly how to value things like 65s vs. Q5o. i look at it as somewhere between playing HU vs. a random hand (where Q5 shines) and HU vs. the best hand of the three (65s is better) and all 4 in regardless.

i'd fold Q5 for sure, probably 65s as well.

Nicholasp27
09-23-2005, 10:48 AM
u have 2.5 bbs...icm would say it's >+.5 ev to push any2 if they call with maniac range...but maybe with those stacks u should loosen up their calling range beyond maniac?

schwza
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
u have 2.5 bbs...icm would say it's >+.5 ev to push any2 if they call with maniac range...but maybe with those stacks u should loosen up their calling range beyond maniac?

[/ QUOTE ]

BB will call any 2.

downtown
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ususally put big stacks on top 50-75% of hands or so in those situations. Feels about right to me, but ICM calcs are an art, not a science of course.

Edit: Oops, missed this part... in this case with only 2.5BB I would put BB on any 2.