PDA

View Full Version : Bus Fire

Broken Glass Can
09-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Bus Carrying Evacuees Catches Fire; 20 Reported Dead (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-rita-bus-explosion,0,3640696.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed)

A bus carrying elderly evacuees from Hurricane Rita caught fire early Friday on gridlocked Interstate 45, killing or injuring an unknown number of passengers, authorities said.

The bus was engulfed with flames, causing a 17-mile backup on a freeway that was already heavily congested with evacuees from the Gulf Coast. Dallas television station WFAA reported 20 persons were killed.

"There were 45 souls on the bus ... at this point we believe we have about half accounted-for," Dallas County sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Don Peritz said.

"The early indications are this is a mechanical issue. The driver did survive the accident," Peritz said. "It's my understanding he went back on the bus several times to try to evacuate people."

He said there were indications that oxygen used by elderly evacuees could have had a role in the fire.

A large, burned-out shell of the bus was to the side of the interstate, where cars were backed up for numerous miles, surrounded by numerous police cars and ambulances.

miajag81
09-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Bush should be impeached for this.

diebitter
09-23-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bush should have his bollocks slit open, one end tied to a post, and made to run around and around the post until they fully unravel for this.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

spamuell
09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
I heard on BBC Radio 4 just now that one person was killed in this.

Broken Glass Can
09-23-2005, 09:25 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/09/23/bus.fire.ap/story.busfire.jpg

http://abclocal.go.com/images/92305-busburn-200.jpg

boedeker
09-23-2005, 09:47 AM
Classic case of reactionary decision-making to evacuate millions, probably unnecessarily, because of Katrina. Where people would "rather be safe then sorry," and miscalculate the risks of "saving" yourself vs the actual risk of being hurt by the hurricane.

24 dead. negative externality. thank you move-on.org.

09-23-2005, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Classic case of reactionary decision-making to evacuate millions, probably unnecessarily, because of Katrina. Where people would "rather be safe then sorry," and miscalculate the risks of "saving" yourself vs the actual risk of being hurt by the hurricane.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely false.

STLantny
09-23-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahah...wow. You make things so easy for the Republicans to get re-elected.

MrTrik
09-23-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What color is the [censored] sky in your world anyway? You're nuts. In this situation there is an order of magnitude difference in the odds of the two choices you spelled out.

boedeker
09-23-2005, 10:16 AM
how are you calculating your odds? do you even know where these people were evacuated from? do you have any more information than me? i could be completely wrong; i was just proposing a hypothosis.

anway, if you have specific information let me know. all i know is that busses are the most dangerous mode of mass transit, multiply that by the fact that youre evacuating millions of people.

Mars357
09-23-2005, 10:25 AM
George Bush hates old people....

TheBlueMonster
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He should be impeached for many things. Mainly that he's a douchebag.