PDA

View Full Version : FILM: Favourite film moment, ever?

diebitter
09-23-2005, 08:57 AM
The Spy who Loved Me - parachuting off a mountain with a Union Jack design.

God save the Queen!

miajag81
09-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Probably the moment in Pulp Fiction where Butch hesitates at the door for a second before turning around to go back and save Marsellus.

istewart
09-23-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Probably the moment in Pulp Fiction where Butch hesitates at the door for a second before turning around to go back and save Marsellus.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite an amazing moment.

09-23-2005, 09:22 AM
Wet Hot American Summer - The humping of the fridge

slamdunkpro
09-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Have you ever seen the "backstage" story about that stunt? It's amazing that he wasn’t killed with everything that went wrong.

One of the greatest stunts ever

lem45216
09-23-2005, 09:26 AM
The bit in Ghostbusters where they get their first call and go off to the hotel to catch the slimer ghost or the Stonehenge moment in Spinal Tap, and actually the resteraunt moment in The Godfather. It's one of those 3.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 09:37 AM
Fight in the pool Wild Things

samjjones
09-23-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even the greatest moment from that movie.

Shajen
09-23-2005, 09:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Not even the greatest moment from that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the OP was lame so I gave a lame response.

09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
"2001"; the ending of the start scene. The bone being sent slowly in the air, then fading over to the space station and the "Blue Danube" sets in.

cadillac1234
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Older films:

Orson Wells stepping out of the Vienna shadows making his first appearance in 'The Third Man'.

The Roach nailing the screaming VC on the other side of the bridge with a mortar in 'Apocolypse Now'

Recent Film:

Sonny Chiba realizing why The Bride is in his bar.

swede123
09-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Band of Brothers - Episode "Points" - when they are playing baseball and Winters recaps what happened to each of them after the war. I'm tearing up just thinking about that scene right now.

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
09-23-2005, 10:59 AM
This is tough, but I keep coming back to The Maltese Falcon, at the end when Spade tells Brigid that he is turning her in.

Spade: Well, if you get a good break, you'll be out of Tehachapi in 20 years and you can come back to me then. I hope they don't hang you, precious, by that sweet neck...Yes, angel, I'm gonna send you over. The chances are you'll get off with life. That means if you're a good girl, you'll be out in 20 years. I'll be waiting for you. If they hang you, I'll always remember you.

Brigid: Don't, Sam. Don't say it even in fun. Ha, ha, ha. Oh, I was frightened for a minute. I really thought...You do such wild and unpredictable things.

Spade: Don't be silly. You're taking the fall.

Brigid: You've been playing with me. Just pretending you care to trap me like this. You didn't care at all. You don't love me!

Spade: I won't play the sap for you!

Brigid: Oh you know it's not like that. You can't say that.

Spade: Do you ever fight square with me for half an hour at a stretch since I've known you?

Brigid: You know down deep in your heart and in spite of anything I've done I love you.

Spade: I don't care who loves who!! I won't play the sap for you. I won't walk in Thursby's - and I don't know how many other's - footsteps. You killed Miles and you're going over for it.

ScottyP431
09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Dialogue Based
True Romance- Dennis hopper speach, Sicillians come from niggers

Third Man- Orson wells Ferris Wheel Speech

Rodger Dodger: Scene were he teaches Nick how to look at girls

Action
Ong Bak- street chase and club fight
Equilibrium- all gun Kata scenes
Heat- enough said

Just like, Coolness
The Professional: Opening hit

B Dids
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Usual Suspects- Verbal's walk out of the station and the realization of what just happened.

Princess Bride- "Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

Babe- The sheep hearding routine- this is such a beautifully shot bit, and the silence is just amazing, I will cry when I watch this and I'm not afraid to admit it.

The Two Towers- I also mark out every time Gandal shows up at the battle, and then Eomer slides in behind him and they charge.

I'm there's more, but that's what's sticking with me right now.

Sightless
09-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Fight Club: The conversation that Tyler Durden had with Raymond K. Hesselin the parking lot of a convienence store.

Cyrus
09-23-2005, 11:22 AM
http://tobefred.zoy.org/vignettes/personne/d_joston.jpg

offTopic
09-23-2005, 11:30 AM
- Indiana Jones shoots the swordsman
- Dave Cujan's WTF epiphany
- Phoebe Cates takes off the top

SL__72
09-23-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Band of Brothers - Episode "Points" - when they are playing baseball and Winters recaps what happened to each of them after the war. I'm tearing up just thinking about that scene right now.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great... have you read the book? Even after seeing the miniseries I think it would be worthwhile (though I'm not sure because I read the book before it was made).

They aren't just a "moment" but I really love the very beginning of Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Arc and The Last Crusade. The Last Crusade is also a great "riding in to the sunset" ending.

Moments:

End of Cinema Paradiso when he is watching all the old film kisses that were cut out.

The end of Saving Private Ryan when he makes his wife tell him hes lived a good life...

A certain scene in Barbarian Invasions which I won't say because most probably haven't seen it.

Kill Bill 2, after the part with the old chinese dude when they cut back to Kiddo in the grave and music starts playing.

"Birds gotta eat, same as worms" (might not be exact)

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist... and poof, just like that, he's gone."

"You may bid the mob good day" -The Man from Snowy River (as Jim starts riding down the side of the cliff)

Oh, and when Yoda "pulls" his light saber out in EP2.

Apparently I'm a sucker for a good (not necessarily happy) ending?

samjjones
09-23-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, but even I laughed at how incredibly cheesy that sequence was.

thatpfunk
[ QUOTE ]
Usual Suspects- Verbal's walk out of the station and the realization of what just happened.

Princess Bride- "Hello, My Name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

Babe- The sheep hearding routine- this is such a beautifully shot bit, and the silence is just amazing, I will cry when I watch this and I'm not afraid to admit it.

The Two Towers- I also mark out every time Gandal shows up at the battle, and then Eomer slides in behind him and they charge.

I'm there's more, but that's what's sticking with me right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best list by far. Goosebump moments.

SL__72
[ QUOTE ]
Rodger Dodger: Scene were he teaches Nick how to look at girls

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is awesome and seemingly relatively unknown? Or maybe its just weird that I had never heard of it before I watched it.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Exactly.

/edit Er, the real "moment" was when I saw it at the 93x (MN radio station) premier and all the other nerds there cheered as it happened.

Turning Stone Pro
09-23-2005, 11:37 AM
Cool Hand Luke egg-eating contest.

Probably my all-time favorite scene from any movie.

TSP

Vish
09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure it's my favorite, but it's the first scene that comes to mind: at the end of Full Metal Jacket where the soldiers are marching in the darkness with buildings on fire all around them, and singing the Mickey Mouse song... Several things about that scene combine to leave an indescribable impression on me--the lighting, the carefree song, the way the soldiers walk apart from each other so they're not easy targets. The scene gets across what I imagine the loneliness and nearness to death of being a soldier is.

miajag81
09-23-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This scene pwns.

Runner Runner
09-23-2005, 11:44 AM
The ending of "The Graduate" or Ollie's second free throw in Hoosiers.

Vish
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great movie, but there are much better scenes than that. The scene with his mother makes me cry. Yeah, I said it. The scene in the church where he tries to talk to God is also quite touching.

Lady Dont Tekno
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
It's too hard to think about my absolute favorite. But from recent memory the scene in Lost in Translation when they're sitting in some hallway after a crazy night and she puts her head on his shoulder and smokes a cigarette.

LDT

ScottyP431
09-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Ok mr B-dids, i let your little " i like the OC and you are stupid if you dont understand you can enjoy stuff like that" comment slide, but i believe putting a moment from babe on a list of all time greatest film moments has gone to far, and this aggression will not stand. I understand you apparently enjoy childrens movies/literature. But putting it on par with the usual suspects or the princess bride(which no, is not a childrens movie. Yes children like it, but do not understand 99 percent of the dialogue/humor)? Seriously, if i was Mandy Patinkin i would
1, Change my name
2, quit doing insurance commercials
3, Find out where you live, ring your bell and say "Hello, my name is now Maximus Patinkin, you ranked only me 1 spot above a childrens movie about talking swine, that will not do pig, prepare to die"

Vish
09-23-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's too hard to think about my absolute favorite. But from recent memory the scene in Lost in Translation when they're sitting in some hallway after a crazy night and she puts her head on his shoulder and smokes a cigarette.

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!

That reminds me: anyone know what he whispers to her at the end of the movie, just before he leaves?

Lady Dont Tekno
09-23-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!

That reminds me: anyone know what he whispers to her at the end of the movie, just before he leaves?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's in the script, but it's really not supposed to be known.

LDT

offTopic
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!

[/ QUOTE ]

"You have the finest breasts in three continents."

canis582
09-23-2005, 12:26 PM
The part where Chasey Lain...

Dominic
09-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Lawrence of Arabia - when Peter O'Toole blows out the match and we cut to the first shots of the Arabian desert.

Citizen Cain - when Joeseph Cotten talks about the girl in the white dress on the Jersey ferry..."there's not a day that goes by I don't think of her."

The Killer - the whole sequence starting with the regatta assasination and ending with the on-the-beach double-cross attempt when the little girl gets shot.

Blade Runner - Rutgar Hauer and Joe Turkel - the Prodigal Son scene:

"Can the maker repair what it has made?"

"The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast, and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."

"....I want more life, Fuker."

"...I've done...questionable things."

"Also, extraordinary things."

"Nothing the God of bio-mechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for?"

Phenomenal scene.

TheCroShow
09-23-2005, 12:29 PM
at the end of "She's All That" when the guy gets the girl

Vish
09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I looked it up, and it's not as interesting as I had hoped. I don't know why they bothered to make it inaudible.

Bob: Why are you crying?

Charlotte: I'll miss you.

Bob: I know, I'll miss you, too.

B Dids
09-23-2005, 12:37 PM
You haven't actually seen Babe have you?

It's a very good, wonderfully done movie, and it's not really a "children's" movie.

B Dids
09-23-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, but even I laughed at how incredibly cheesy that sequence was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this movie the day of the premier. It's cheesy, but the threater EXPLOADED in applause. It's just like this moment you've been waiting likw 25 years for, Yoda finally getting gully, and I think it paid off pretty well.

The gun fight in Heat is kinda longer than a moment, but it's also pretty damn awesome.

ScottyP431
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Seen it. Hence the "that'l do pig"

B Dids
09-23-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seen it. Hence the "that'l do pig"

[/ QUOTE ]

You post was wanting in the formatting department, so I missed that.

Either way- Babe rules.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its enough to make me want to watch it again though. (doesn't take much I guess)

phx
09-23-2005, 12:57 PM
braveheart - the battle of sterling and the last scene in the movie

shawshank redemption - when brooks kills himself

pulp fiction - the whole scene with jules and vincent in the guy's apartment

canis582
09-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Under seige when the model breaks through the cake.

Paluka
09-23-2005, 01:04 PM
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly when Tuco arrives at the cemetery and just runs and runs and runs.
The opening raider attack on the Cimmerian village in Conan the Barbarian.
The dream sequence/activities montage opening in Rushmore.

So many good ones.

theben
09-23-2005, 01:11 PM
you can't triple stamp a double stamp

DrunkHamster
09-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Definitely the Good, The Bad and The Ugly, the final firefight scene. The build up, with the music (Morricone is a god) and the faster and faster cuts is truley awesome.

Ser William
09-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Grosse Point Blanke:

John Cusack staredown with the newborn while "Under Pressure" plays in the background.

Aliens:

Everything is going to hell for the recon team, Aliens slaughtering everyone they are in complete disarray, and the lightweight in charge is just totally frozen and can't do a thing and Ripley finally just takes charge and drives the armored vehicle in to save the rest of their group - that whole sequence right up until they leave the building (after Drake gets killed by Alien blood).

Life is Beautiful

Father walks past where his son is hiding as the Germans are leading him out to kill him and he puts on a play act of marching for his son that makes the son smile without revealing sons location to the Germans.

wrongarm300
09-23-2005, 01:57 PM
"Mr. Madison what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul." I crack up laughing EVERY time I see this part!

The Usual Suspects scene is certainly a classic

The scene from "The Color of Money" where "Werewolf in London" is playing ... ."...his hair was perfect..."

And the showdown between Doc Holliday and Johnny Ringo in Tombstone. "I'm your huckleberry"

ClassicBob
09-23-2005, 02:04 PM
"It's too bad she won't live...but then again, who does?"

Mexican standoff at the end of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Snow Battle at the end of Kill Bill Vol. 1

The Story of Knockout Ned

sfer
09-23-2005, 02:07 PM
My favorite recent one:

Max: I like your nurse's uniform guy.
Luke Wilson: These are OR scrubs.
Max: Oh are they?
Bill Murray: <chortle>

Soya
09-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Miller's Crossing, near the end:

Bernie: Tommy! Look in your heart!

Tom: What heart?

Don't want to give away too much, but this scene ties together the movie together perfectly and makes you see Tom in an entirely different light.

offTopic
09-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Little Bill: What the [censored] are you doing?
Little Bill's wife: Go away Bill, you're embarrassing me.

colgin
09-23-2005, 03:07 PM
So many but I guess I pick the end of City Lights, when The Tramp, who has really fallen upon hard times, encounters The Blind Girl. Justifiably one of the most famous closing shots in the history of film. . . . And I cry like a little girl every time.

Also, the end of Rohmer's "Le Rayon Vert" ("The Green Ray" or "Summer") when the Heroine cries out "Oui."

Also, the Dance of Death scene in Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" is pretty awesome.

Of course, Harold Lloyd hanging from that damned clock in "Safety Last."

And the house falling on Buster Keaton in "Steamboat Bill, Jr."

Dianne Wiest saying "I'm preganant" at the end of Woody Allen's "Hannah and Her Sisters".

So many, many more one could name. . .

Oh, and when Veronique finally discovers the photo of her double Veronika looking at her in Kieslowski's "Double Life of Veronique."

colgin
09-23-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Orson Wells stepping out of the Vienna shadows making his first appearance in 'The Third Man'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course. The most famous entrance ever perhaps.

M2d
09-23-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
at the end of "She's All That" when the guy gets the girl

[/ QUOTE ]
actually, at the end of the movie, the girl gets the soccer ball.

I prefer when Laney comes down the stairs after being made over by mac.

MonkeeMan
09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
The opening scene in A Clockwork Orange in the Korova Milkbar with Alex and his droogies preparing for a night of ultra-violence.

09-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Field of Dreams - "Wanna have a catch...dad?" (duh)

Also...

Gattaca - When Uma finds out who the real Jerome is.

12 Monkeys - When Catherine sees Coles picture from WWI

Heat - When Val Kilmer's wife sees him pulling into the driveway with the cops waiting in the house but gives him the warning to get out of dodge.

Legends of the Fall - Brad Pitt cutting the heart out of his brother

Unoriginalname
09-23-2005, 03:51 PM
"What do ya mean, funny? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little [censored] up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to [censored]' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/goodfellas.htm
You can hear the clip again there.

There's so many great moments in that film, it's hard for me to not list several. Then again I'm very biased, as that's probably my favorite film of all time.

obi---one
09-23-2005, 03:54 PM
I can think of two I haven't seen on here that I really like.

Heat
Robbing the bank scene.

Taxi Driver
When Deniro is looking in the mirror

"YOU TALKING TO ME, YOU TALKING TO ME, CAUSE I'M THE ONLY ONE STANDING HERE"

fking brilliant

SoCalRugger
09-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Return of the King, when the Rohirrim are getting ready to charge the Pelennor Fields.

flatline
09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Shawshank Redemption- the tunnel revealed
Scarface- sticking his face in a mountain of coke

obi---one
09-23-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scarface- sticking his face in a mountain of coke

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a cool scene

Eurotrash
09-23-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite recent one:

Max: I like your nurse's uniform guy.
Luke Wilson: These are OR scrubs.
Max: Oh are they?
Bill Murray: <chortle>

[/ QUOTE ]

haha Rushmore, nice. Great movie, and I especially liked this bit too.

one of my favorites already mentioned -- the restaurant scene where the Turk and Captain McCluskey get blown away.

"Try the veal, it's the best in the city."

imported_anacardo
09-23-2005, 04:34 PM
The surprise party scene at the end of Godfather II, followed by Michael staring off into the darkness.

Theoden's recitation on the eve of battle, in The Two Towers. "...How did it come to this?"

Roy's speech at the end of Blade Runner.

Glory - "Give 'em hell, Fifty-Fourth!"

Pretty much all of Casablanca.

baumer
09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
That part in Spaceballs where the black guys are combing the desert with an afro pick.

"We ain't found [censored]!"

09-23-2005, 04:41 PM
There's so many but these come to mind now. . .

1. The scene in the Hustler where Eddie is telling his gf why he loves pool.

2. The last scene in Il Postino where he's reciting the poem (knowing the actor had died in real life shortly after filming the movie) damn movie made me cry like a baby.

3. The last scene of Requiem for a Dream, when we see the fate of the characters. (If you are considering suicide do not watch this film as it will definitely push you over the edge).

J.A.Sucker
09-23-2005, 04:43 PM
The final scene of The Deerhunter struck me harder than a ton of bricks. Just sat there for a few minutes and stared at the credits.

Also, I like several scenes from Taxi Driver. The famous ones are the "you talkin' to me" and the shooting of Harvey Kaitel's hand in the stairwell, but the best scene for me was when he's driving around and describing how filthy the city is. He's so alone.

Indiana Jones shooting the swordfighter was brilliant, too.

chesspain
09-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Rocky (I)--In the ring at the end, as the decision is being broadcast to the crowd, with a nearly blind Rocky calling out for Adrianne.

The Hitcher--The opening scene in the car with C. Thomas Howell and Rutgur Hauer, when Hauer is holding the knife on Howell and attempting to make him say "I want to die."

Some Kind of Wonderful--The very end, after Eric Stoltz catches up to Mary Stuart Masterson, and they walk off together down the beautifully lighted suburban street, as the final song starts and the credits begin to roll.

Full Metal Jacket--The scene where Private "Joker" first espies Private "Pyle" playing with his rifle, which culminates in "Pyle" shooting the drill sergeant.

A Few Good Men--too many scenes to list.

CourtesyFlush
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I looked it up, and it's not as interesting as I had hoped. I don't know why they bothered to make it inaudible.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

This isn't what he says. In the film Bob does all of the talking and then Charlotte says "ok" at the end of it. I think what you're reading is what the script originally had for their lines, but it was changed. I think it's much better this way.

Benal
09-23-2005, 06:01 PM
The old granny and dog on speed in There's Something About Mary.

bernie
09-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Lots of 'em.

But the one that still makes the fur go up on the arm is from Rocky. The end of round 2. Jergens takes his cigar out of his mouth with a look of realization that he greatly underestimated Rocky. A bit later, the announcer mentions, "This is gonna be a tough one!" Then the music cues in. The war is on!

b

Jules22
09-24-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

"The candle that burns twice as bright burns twice as fast, and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy."

Phenomenal scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree 100%. but i think i enjoyed the scene at the end where batty saves deckard

Roy: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

[Deckard falls, Roy catches him.]

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the sholder of Orion. I watched sea beams glitter in the darkness at Tan Hauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

Deckard (voice-over): I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Gaff: You've done a mans job, sir. I guess your through, huh?

Deckard: Finished.

Gaff: Its too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?

powerful stuff. best movie ever imo *goes to watch blade runner*

Cyrus
09-24-2005, 04:38 AM
This summer Morricone toured with an orchestra, directing it to a sampling of his soundtracks - he has written some 400 soundtracks and only about five percent of them were for westerns!

There was a little something before the sold-out event started in Milan, Italy, and it is shown live on TV. Five riders, appeared in the darkening distance, at the far end of the avenue leading up to the theatre, which is located at the centre of the city but traffic does not go there. As they get closer, the audience going to the concert moves to the side, some whistled and others started to clap but soon everyone fell ABSOLUTELY quiet and took in the spectacle.

The cowboys passed with a tired trot and we now see they were some kind of renegade bandits who must be on the run, after some battle with the forces of the law, their faces in caked blood, their clothes ripped and dusty, all of them some thousand miles of road showing. A half-Indian, a kid with dirty blond hair and even dirtier bandana, an old man with a long rifle, a heavy man who took close care of two heavy bags containing god knows what, and a Mexican with the ugliest sobrero you ever saw. Those folks passed everyone slowly without glancing and headed for the concert's entrance - when a dozen police squad cars' lights lit up the dark and the riders had to stop, surprised.

A gun fight ensued between the city policemen of the 21st century and the 1890 bandits. The cowboys fell one by one on the asphalt, noisly and bloodily, to their death, except for the blond kid who seemed a good rider and evaded most shots and also killed a lot of police. The guns eventually fall silent and the policemen stood up taking aim at the kid, who stops firing too and looks around for a way out of this.

The kid picked up the two bags from the dead chief's horse and turned towards the entrance. Started galloping, the police strated firing. The kid, our best stuntman, galloped the hundred yards or so to the dark entrance, letting off shots left and right to the surrounding police who were firing back at him in red fury, and then HIS HORSE LEAPED COMPLETELY OVER THE LAST POLICE CAR BLOCKING THE ENTRANCE TO THE OLD WEST OF ENNIO MORRICONE and makes it inside the arena entrance where he disappears in a torrent of smoke, gunfire, lights, shouts, curses, and the pyrotechics of dynamite.

At this point the lights over the entrance lit up MORRICONE A MILANO. The concert shall begin with "L' Ecstasi Dell' Orro", from "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly".

---The above is the synopsis for a little show that a group of Ennio fanatics wanted to put on before his concert this summer. The police ruled it out for reasons of crowd safety.

Skip Brutale
09-24-2005, 04:48 AM
In Taxi Driver when DeNiro fights his way into the hotel room where Jodie Foster is, after shooting the mafia guy in the head, he picks up another gun, tries to shoot himself but its out of ammo, aims it back at the mafia guy's head and tries shooting him in the head more, then crawls ontop of the couch and tries shooting himself in the head with his hand when the cops enter.

If that is too long then just the shooting his head with his hand and he is all bloody and stuff and smiling.

Sooga
09-24-2005, 04:50 AM
In 'Before Sunrise' when Jesse and Celine are in the booth listening to the record. Ya, it's a chick moment, but the way Linklater captured those brief moments of awkwardness was just perfect.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Can't pick, and some are more scenes than moments, but I'll make a short list, in no particular order.

Tuco running through the graveyard in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

Giuletta Masina facing the camera in the final shot of Nights of Cabiria

The shadow of Nosferatu creeping over a whole building in London

Clint Eastwood telling several guys he wants them to apologize to his ass in, I think it was, For a Fistful of Dollars

Bruce Lee psyching Chuck Norris into fixating on the foot he is going to kick him with in Return of the Dragon

Any number of scenes of the boy playing with his little sister in Graveyard of the Fireflies

The final shot of The 400 Blows, and the shot it was stolen from in La Atalante

Grace Kelly's slow-mo kiss in Rear Window

Jimmy Stewart's horror in the last shot of Vertigo

The young boy in My Life as a Dog trying to keep from splashing himself in the face with his own glass of milk for no reason, but failing.

Cary Grant advancing up the staircase with the poisoned glowing glass of milk in Suspicion.

Karl Kolchak bolting screaming out of the closet he was hiding terrified in while the monster was hanging up his coat in it, because he just can't stand the fear anymore, so what the hell, I guess. Absolutely idiotic but totally understandable at the same time, especially with the great Darren McGavin as the actor. This was actually from a t.v. pilot, but it's still a truly great moment.

True Romance -- the famous scene between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper, where Hopper tells him Italians came from N*'s

Samuel Jackson's righteous biblical speech in Pulp Fiction

Samuel Jackson's righteous advice to Ringo in Pulp Fiction

Rutger Hauer's quick few lines at the end of Blade Runner about his memories being lost forever like tears in rain.

Bill Murray whispering something into Scarlett Johanson's ear at the end of Lost in Translation.

Robert DeNiro's wordless master class in acting in Heat, when he succumbs and decides to ruin his whole life, after he finally got everything he wanted, and to go against everything he is and has ever wanted to be.

There are so many more, too.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The end of Saving Private Ryan when he makes his wife tell him hes lived a good life...

[/ QUOTE ]

This line, and the whole cheesy scene Spielberg set up to milk the living hell out of its maudlin self, almost destroyed the movie for me. One of the worst lines and decisions in the career of a man who often seems incapable of making the right decisions. One of the worst lines and most gawdawful scenes I've seen in any movie ever.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

A great scene in a truly great and very underrated movie. We don't make films like that anymore and wouldn't dare to.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 05:58 AM
I read recently -- maybe it was here -- that in the original script it was something pretty mundane: "I'm glad I met you." I think that was it.

Good thing they dropped it. It became transcendental when it was left unknown.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this movie the day of the premier. It's cheesy, but the threater EXPLOADED in applause. It's just like this moment you've been waiting likw 25 years for, Yoda finally getting gully, and I think it paid off pretty well.

The gun fight in Heat is kinda longer than a moment, but it's also pretty damn awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both big shooting scenes in Heat were amazing. They blew me away and are still my favorite shoot-outs ever.

I'd toss in the helicopter raid from Apocalpyse Now and the showdown in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, but they're very different types of scenes.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"What do ya mean, funny? Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little [censored] up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to [censored]' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?"

There's so many great moments in that film, it's hard for me to not list several. Then again I'm very biased, as that's probably my favorite film of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely one of the truly great movie scenes. That one rocked everybody's world and was parodied like crazy.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 06:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The final scene of The Deerhunter struck me harder than a ton of bricks. Just sat there for a few minutes and stared at the credits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the ending being devasting, but don't even remember what it was.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I like several scenes from Taxi Driver. The famous ones are the "you talkin' to me" and the shooting of Harvey Kaitel's hand in the stairwell, but the best scene for me was when he's driving around and describing how filthy the city is. He's so alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love those scenes. Absolutely amazing. The loneliness and moodiness is almost unbearable. Many of the scenes convey that so perfectly they're almost magical. I like him phoning up Shepherd hopelessly, too. You can just feel the guy's terrible loneliness and bewilderment.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In Taxi Driver when DeNiro fights his way into the hotel room where Jodie Foster is, after shooting the mafia guy in the head, he picks up another gun, tries to shoot himself but its out of ammo, aims it back at the mafia guy's head and tries shooting him in the head more, then crawls ontop of the couch and tries shooting himself in the head with his hand when the cops enter.

If that is too long then just the shooting his head with his hand and he is all bloody and stuff and smiling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesmerizing, sad, and chilling.

09-24-2005, 06:15 AM
I always get a kick out of that scene in Reservoir Dogs where Mr. Blonde has that cop tied up in the chair.

John Cole
09-24-2005, 09:48 AM
Goblin with the soundtrack for Suspiria.

John Cole
09-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Close up of John Wayne in The Searchers: "They ain't white anymore. They're Comanche."

JackWilson
09-24-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

LDT

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

This isn't what he says. In the film Bob does all of the talking and then Charlotte says "ok" at the end of it. I think what you're reading is what the script originally had for their lines, but it was changed. I think it's much better this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. You were never meant to know what he says (at least not in the final version of the film) -- sort of left open to the imagination.

whiskeytown
09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
there's that scene in "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" Where he's at the top of a tree bending down and Zhang Ziyi is on another tree bending up and they're getting ready to cross swords.

And then you her this sound and you see the faces eyes go past - and then clank on the other side....

THAT is my favorive ever movie moment. IN FACT...when I first got my DVD player for my computer, it was that look as she swept by that was my first screen capture - I just found it in my doc. folder.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/6343/zhang8xz.jpg

That was the film that inspired me to truly explore Asian Cinema and appreciate fine cinema, as opposed to the new Will Smith flick or whatever is bubblegum culture for movies.

And that was my favorite moment from it....the whole bamboo forest, but esp. that one moment when the cross...

RB

whiskeytown
09-24-2005, 11:11 AM
according to the film trivia database - Bill Murray whispered SOMETHING to Scarlett - it wasn't what the script said obviously...it could have been a dirty joke, it could have been lines from stripes...he said SOMETHING...but it was improvised - and no one, neither Bill nor Scarlett nor whoever might have been on crew and miked them have shared what it is he said to her in that particular take.

so THAT's cool.

RB

Toro
09-24-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like when he shot the kid bringing the drinks after the kid told him to go fck himself because he was making fun of the bandage on his foot that was there becuse he had earlier shot him in the foot.

they all run over and say "wtf, he's dead, you killed him" and he goes "it's my fault I'm a good shot?"

Dominic
09-24-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Phenomenal scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree 100%. but i think i enjoyed the scene at the end where batty saves deckard

Roy: Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

[Deckard falls, Roy catches him.]

Roy: I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the sholder of Orion. I watched sea beams glitter in the darkness at Tan Hauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.

Deckard (voice-over): I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Gaff: You've done a mans job, sir. I guess your through, huh?

Deckard: Finished.

Gaff: Its too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?

powerful stuff. best movie ever imo *goes to watch blade runner*

[/ QUOTE ]

It's my favorite movie of all time. But I must admit, I prefer the no-voiceover, director's cut of the movie. The voiceover - specifically at the above scene you just quoted, kind of ruins the moment for me - he's stating the obvious. We don't need it.

Anyway...glad to run into another BR fan.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock Landers
09-24-2005, 01:14 PM
That isn't even the best Bond moment. The best is in "A View to a Kill" when Christopher Walken's character starts gunning down all of his employees in the mine with an Uzi while laughing maniacally.

Brock Landers
09-24-2005, 01:22 PM
If you don't pick Pacino getting gunned down in the last scene of Scarface at least in your top 5 you are lying to yourselves.

"Say alo to my leetl friend!"

someday
09-24-2005, 02:42 PM
some favourite moments of mine.

torture scene- RESEVOIR DOGS
bathroom scene/three cops scene- RESEVOIR DOGS

sam chatting to, then murdering chris rock - JACKIE BROWN

last scene - MEMENTO

"then they pull me back in" GODFATHER

butch finding sword - PULP FICTION
walkens watch speach- PULP FICTION

"i want some buts" - TOP GUN

govenor finds escape tunnel behind poster- SHAWSHANK

choose life speach - TRAINSPOTTING

neo realises he is the one- MATRIX
final neo v smith fight in rain- MATRIX3

jack pretending to be brain fried then winking
- ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST

maximus finds family dead- GLADIATOR

hey my brutha, scene- VANILLA SKY

end hotel room scene- SPACE ODDESY (sp?) 2001

"you cant handle the truth"- A FEW GOOD MEN

PokerBob
09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
.......has no grade point average. All coursework, incomplete.

mason55
09-24-2005, 03:11 PM
The end of Bully when they're showing the sentences that each of them got.

A great end to an amazingly well done and underrated movie.

coffeecrazy1
09-24-2005, 03:22 PM
No way for me to pick just one, so here's an assortment:

Shawshank - Andy standing in the rain, finally free; the final shot pulling back.

The Untouchables - The train station scene(even though I know it was an homage); the scene where Malone is killed against Pagliacci the Clown's famous aria.

Braveheart - the execution scene; the final charge scene.

Crossroads - the guitar duel...especially the final volley.

Pulp Fiction - the two Jackson monologues(apartment and diner)

Heat - the bank robbery, the Pacino/De Niro scene, the last shootout

Field of Dreams - the final Burt Lancaster scene, and of course, the last scene

Hoosiers - Ollie's free throws

Return of the Jedi - Darth Vader's death and funeral pyre

JFK - X's monologue, the moment at the eternal flame, the closing argument in the courtroom

The Usual Suspects - of course, the last scene

Blade II - Blade coming out of the pool, the sunrise scene, the final fight between Blade and Nomak

Gladiator - from the rise into the stadium with Commodus to the end

Dead Man Walking - the confession at the end, the final walk

Million Dollar Baby - the last scene with Maggie

Traffic - the scene where Benicio Del Toro loses it and gets out of his car

And, finally,

Kill Bill, Vol. 1 - the fight between O-Ren and the Bride

TheCroShow
09-24-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent choice, one of my favorites as well. especially when he repeats it at the end, has a great effect by the end of the movie, a great closure

Blarg
09-24-2005, 04:34 PM
That was very nice. Lots of really good moments in that film. I liked the grabbing up of papers that were blown about a lot, and the incredibly beauty of the glassy lake surface.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That isn't even the best Bond moment. The best is in "A View to a Kill" when Christopher Walken's character starts gunning down all of his employees in the mine with an Uzi while laughing maniacally.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the best moment is in Dr. No. when Bond is questioning the scientist who just shot the bed of the female enemy agent, where he had been sleeping, full of holes. The scientist is sprawled on the rug not too far from the gun he dropped. Bond puts his own gun down on the table next to him while he casually messes around with a cigarette. The murderous scientist's hand slowly creeps toward the gun as he speaks, while Bond seems to have stopped paying attention, and then he lunges for it, brings it up to bear on Bond, and the gun clicks -- empty. Bond, never interrupting his own relaxed business, with utterly cool coldness, leisurely reaches for his gun after finishing lighting his cigarette, points it at the scientist, and says, "That's a Smith & Wesson. Your six are up." And fires.

Obviously Bond could have killed him in the beginning, but was just setting him up to screw himself over and doom himself. And to pay him back, Bond, after being a smartass and letting the terror sink in to the guy, took a methodical and completely unnecessary revenge on him. Why? Because he could. Because he didn't like the guy. Because he enjoyed the cruelty of the trap. And because he didn't like people f*cking with him. Screw either the morality or the utility of keeping the guy alive.

Now THAT was a Bond!

Blarg
09-24-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

bathroom scene/three cops scene- RESEVOIR DOGS

jack pretending to be brain fried then winking
- ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOOS NEST

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choices!

Blarg
09-24-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heat - the bank robbery, the Pacino/De Niro scene, the last shootout

[/ QUOTE ]

Great scenes, well worth watching an almost infinite amount of times.

speirs
09-24-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
This indeed is one of the best scenes from BoB. Wow, the best series of WOII ever.

ackid
09-25-2005, 12:14 AM
Great Post. It's hard to decide, so many great films over the past 3 decades.

Some off the dome....

1. The last scene in Alien where Ripley's the last one left and has 20 mins. to evacuate and blow the ship.

2. Mad Max, last scene where he handcuffs kids ankle to a tractor trailor and sets a time bomb near the rig. He drops a hacksaw and says " The bomb will go off in ten minutes if your lucky you can hack through your ankle in five". and drives off.

3. Game of Death- When Bruce Lee reaches top of pagoda and fights Kahreem too the death.

4. Wait Until Dark- When Audrey Hepburn knocks out lights at the end and battles burglar, She's blind the last scene is 10 mins of total darkness.

5. When a stranger calls- The calls are coming from inside the house!

6.The scene in Jaws were they see the shark for the first time. Where Brodie says " Your gonna need a bigger boat".

7. The last Scene in "Saw". I've heard alot of people say it was lame but It caught me off guard and people in the movie were freaking out.

8. I kind of like the part in "Shawn of the Dead" when there trying to get to the pub and they act like goofy zombies to evade mass of undead gathered in front of the bar. Then at the end he playing xbox with his friend (whos now a zombie) and keeps him chained and gaged in a shed in the backyard.

9. The transformation scene in "American Werewolf in London".

Damn Brain Freeze......

theben
09-25-2005, 12:26 AM
every al pacino tirade

Blarg
09-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Dude's practically been on autopilot for the last 20 years.

SinCityGuy
09-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Richard Dreyfuss in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". After losing his job, his family, and nearly losing his sanity, he is rejuvenated with awe, wonder and hope as he boards the mother ship at the end of the movie.

ethan
09-25-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heat - the Pacino/De Niro scene

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked the diner scene between Jude Law and Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition. For some reason it works better for me than the similar scene in Heat.

For that matter, I just like the whole movie. So far Mendes has directed Road to Perdition and American Beauty, I'm curious to see how Jarhead works as his third film.

Blarg
09-25-2005, 01:17 AM
What's Jarhead about? Sounds like a reference to Marines. Is that from the book a guy wrote recently about his experiences in Iraq?

I'm a big fan of American Beauty.

Matador225
09-25-2005, 01:29 AM
I have quite a few and most have been mentioned already.

1. The end of Gladiator when Maximus dies.
2. The last 5 minutes of Braveheart.
3. Shawshank Redemption when Andy escapes.
4. Band of Brothers-Battle of the Bulge, St. Come Du Mont, and the final baseball scene that someone mentioned before.
So many brilliantly done scenes in Band of Brothers that honestly give me goosebumps.

coffeecrazy1
09-25-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Heat - the Pacino/De Niro scene

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked the diner scene between Jude Law and Tom Hanks in Road to Perdition. For some reason it works better for me than the similar scene in Heat.

For that matter, I just like the whole movie. So far Mendes has directed Road to Perdition and American Beauty, I'm curious to see how Jarhead works as his third film.

[/ QUOTE ]

Diner scene in RTP is good, but the scene in the pouring rain with Newman is the one that gives me the most chills...his body language and choices are just fantastic. That movie is worth watching just for that one scene.

HamJam
09-25-2005, 03:48 AM
"I love you."
"I know."

send_the_msg
09-25-2005, 04:26 AM
definitely not the best ever, but when silent bob lights up his cigarette when you first meet him in dogma (think hockey beatdown)

shant
09-25-2005, 05:00 AM
The entire mall parking lot scene where Marty first learns that Doc Brown has invented time travel.

Mr_J
09-25-2005, 10:10 AM
A few...some of the posts have reminded me of a few. Not in order...

Road to perdition, where tom kills paul with the tommy gun. I just love the way he knows that his time has come. No sound etc. I didn't like how it him so long to take the other guys out but the seen still rocks.

Gladiator, the final scene where the african does the 'I will see you again, but not yet, no yet'. You all probally thing it's corny, but with the music, scenery etc it's all good.

The final scene in the usual suspects, the moment he straightens his walk.

Apocalypse Now, the helicopters and the "i love the smell of napalm in the morning, it smells like victory".

Shawshank, end of the movie.

Pulp fiction, sams speeches.

Anything with pacino /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The scene in Casino where de niro drives out to the desert to meet joe.

Butch & sundance, some great scenes.

Bravehart when he discovers he's been betrayed.

The fight between Uma and lucy, the moment when lucy is injured.

Indy shooting the swordsman is great.

Jack giving his speech in a few good men.

The motorbike scene from the great escape.

Black rain, the vineyards. The metal plant is good too.

Scarface, the end.

I could go on and on I guess.

gorie
09-25-2005, 10:46 AM
one of my favorites:

http://www.thehoya.com/images/032103/retro.jpg