PDA

View Full Version : Riding with the King

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 08:20 AM
A freind loaned this to me last night and i listened to it in the car this morning. I have to admit, I really expected more but it was still pretty good.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004THAY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Danenania
09-23-2005, 08:25 AM
My favorite track is their rendition of Key to the Highway. Title track is also cool. Most of the others are good. A few fall kind of flat.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite track is their rendition of Key to the Highway. Title track is also cool. Most of the others are good. A few fall kind of flat.

[/ QUOTE ]

There were a couple of songs I thought were just outright bad. But I really enjoyed this album mostly because one night in Austin I was lucky enough to be at Antone's one night back in the early 90's when these guys just happened to show up and run into each other. Talk about a jam session.

imported_The Vibesman
09-23-2005, 08:42 AM
I love BB, but I'm not such a big Clapton fan. This record is worth a listen, tho. What's the Sam and Dave tune they do? I think it's Hold On, I'm Comin'. No one can touch Sam and Dave but it's always fun to hear new interpretations of old tunes.
I also have the John Hiatt record "Riding With The King," with the original version of the title tune. Not the best production, but a great tune. Clapton/King change the lyrics a bit to make it sound like it's about BB, where Hiatt wrote it about Elvis. So the line, "A red cape and a shiny Colt .45" became "A tuxedo and a shiny 335." The line "Every woman, child, and man gets a Cadillac and a great big diamond ring," that makes more sense in the context of Elvis as well. I used to do this tune in a band I was in, the Hiatt version, before the Clapton/King one was big, it's fun.

FouTight
09-23-2005, 09:07 AM
wait...

this isn't a burger king thread?

icepick
09-23-2005, 09:45 AM
This is a great disc. And it was the last CD I ever will buy.

miajag81
09-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Great album.