PDA

View Full Version : Can't play Party

Cactus Jack
09-23-2005, 07:06 AM
I've been lurking for a long time here. You guys are an impressive group. In another forum, we've had a long-running argument about the pros and cons of playing at Party. I know most of you play here. I cannot. The reason is the number of starting chips.

800 chips is simply too little for me to play around with. It's like playing with scared money. If I don't get a good starting hand, in position, for the first three rounds, I'm looking at being short-stacked with increasing blinds. Loosen up, increased risk. One losing hand, and I'm in serious trouble. Used to be you could autofold your way to 4th. Now, it's seems so weak/tight on the low limits you have to be a lot more aggressive, which increases your chances of busting out early.

Am I making any sense? (Probably not.)

I'm making enough at Pokerstars, Full Tilt--1500 chips--and Bodog--1000 chips--that I probably wouldn't go back to Party at all. I'm just curious as to how you guys deal with the low stacks. (If Party went to 1000, I'd be on 'em like white on rice.)

CJ--who kinda feels out of line with this

splashpot
09-23-2005, 07:11 AM
I used to play Stars turbos. Moved to Party for rakeback. It's ridiculusly easy if you learn the strategy. You'll be amazed how many people don't know how to play a short stack correctly. But if you like those big stacks, stick with them, nothing wrong with that.

09-23-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been lurking for a long time here. You guys are an impressive group. In another forum, we've had a long-running argument about the pros and cons of playing at Party. I know most of you play here. I cannot. The reason is the number of starting chips.

800 chips is simply too little for me to play around with. It's like playing with scared money. If I don't get a good starting hand, in position, for the first three rounds, I'm looking at being short-stacked with increasing blinds. Loosen up, increased risk. One losing hand, and I'm in serious trouble. Used to be you could autofold your way to 4th. Now, it's seems so weak/tight on the low limits you have to be a lot more aggressive, which increases your chances of busting out early.

Am I making any sense? (Probably not.)

I'm making enough at Pokerstars, Full Tilt--1500 chips--and Bodog--1000 chips--that I probably wouldn't go back to Party at all. I'm just curious as to how you guys deal with the low stacks. (If Party went to 1000, I'd be on 'em like white on rice.)

CJ--who kinda feels out of line with this

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand where you are coming from. I used to love the UB 1500 chips, with slow increasing blinds, too. But it took me about 1.5 hours to finish a SNG to the end! That really cuts into the profit/hour, even if ROI goes up.

It is all about strategy change. Check out aleomagus guide to beating the $11s. Also, rakeback makes it even more worth while, not to mention the abundance of fishies.

P.S. Party DOES have 1000 chip stacks at the $55 level and up.

09-23-2005, 07:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard rumors of $55+ games having 1000 starting chips. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

EDIT: I am SO SLOW... FFS! Eh.. never mind my post.

diebitter
09-23-2005, 07:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out aleomagus guide to beating the $11s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone bump a link to this? I've looked in the FAQ and done the search, but no joy.

tshort
09-23-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Can anyone bump a link to this? I've looked in the FAQ and done the search, but no joy.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=&Number=602767&page=&v iew=&sb=5&o=&fpart=

splashpot
09-23-2005, 07:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&vc=1)

lem45216
09-23-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i know what you mean, i used to think the same. A lot of the people on here, me included, play extremely tightly for the first 3 levels, and then like you said, find themselves shortstacked by level 4 more often than not. But the money they make comes from this later round play and knowing when and when not to push based on EV and when to attempt blind steals and rules such as the 10BB rule etc. The fish tend to not have much of a clue about how to play when the blinds are high so i've found and so thats where our advantage comes in. You'll hear the awesome players like raptor etc talk about going into pushbot mode at level 4 and that's basicly how you have to approach these sngs. Hope that kinda maybe clears things up.
-Jaffa-

45suited
09-23-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Used to be you could autofold your way to 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh... the good ole days. How much did 4th pay back then? /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Once the blinds get big, you gotta get aggressive (keeping position, stack sizes, the actions of players who've already acted in mind, of course). At a certain point, your cards are not necessarily the most important factor to consider.

If you're playing PP and your mindset begins with "folding your way into....", that's probably the first clue that you're on the wrong track.

Jason Strasser
09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Adjust to the situation.

Good players would win in sngs where you started with 5bb (well or lose less if rake was big). You get the point.

Saying you cant adjust to 800 just means you aren't as good as someone who can.

-Jason

Cactus Jack
09-23-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Adjust to the situation.

Good players would win in sngs where you started with 5bb (well or lose less if rake was big). You get the point.

Saying you cant adjust to 800 just means you aren't as good as someone who can.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

ouch

**Autofolding to fourth. I was being tight. A year ago you could autofold to third, half the time. (I actually found guys doing it on purpose.)

Thanks for the replies. I know what everyone is saying, just needed to hear you say it, I guess. I'm in "improving player mode" so maybe I should go back to Party once in awhile to test myself. I do think good players win, period. If one is winning in one place and losing in another, he might not be actually good.

Again, thanks.

CJ

09-23-2005, 09:16 AM
This used to be me too. you want your cake and to eat it to? Party Multi-table SNG. You get 1k chips, you get timed structure and you get all the fishies party is famous for. I jsut discovered them about 2 weeks ago and they have been a gold mine.

09-23-2005, 12:36 PM
I've just switched to Party also. I started 1 year ago on UB and have been winning pretty consistently at the $5.50 and $11. I had to cash out for some bills and decided to fund a Party account while I was at it because I was lurking on this board and wanted to see if the compettition was as soft as is reported here.

I have a very small sample size ( I have been winning). I've had a little trouble getting used to the 800 starting chips ( I look at 700 chips and start thinking I need to double up quick) but the thing that has been getting me so far is the incredibly weak hands my big bets are getting called with and I mean they don't even take time to think about it, they're calling.

playtitleist
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
The funny thing is, I am afraid to go to UB or Stars or Bodog because I don't know how to play with a LOT of chips.

If I can beat PP, anybody can. Ship that.