PDA

View Full Version : Movies that keep getting better . . .

Taraz
09-23-2005, 06:44 AM
. . . every time you see them.

I didn't think Anchorman was that funny the first time I saw it. Then it was on HBO a while back and I just kept watching it cause nothing else was on and I would catch something new and hilarious every single time. So it got me thinking, "[censored] what other movies did I think were crap but are really sweet?"

diebitter
09-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Hmm, this is pretty personal and specific, I'm betting. Films that improve with viewing (or at least seemed better the second time than the first) for me were:

Young Frankenstein (which I enjoyed as silly the first time, but now think is actually pretty masterfully made)

Equilibrium (went from downright hated the first viewing, to pretty okay the second time)

Empire Strikes Back (liked it obviously the first time, but thought ep 4 was way better, but, meh, you live and learn)

Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow (I've noticed it's often the way with Tim Burton films that they improve with more viewings)

Mallrats

siccjay
09-23-2005, 06:54 AM
I always say this about Anchorman.

private joker
09-23-2005, 07:10 AM
The Talented Mr. Ripley

captZEEbo1
09-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Boogie Nights, Jackie Brown, Pulp Fiction, Magnolia

Rushmore
09-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Napolean Dynamite, probably because of all the hype. First viewing, I was like "what the f*ck?" Each subsequent time, it gets funnier and funnier.

Monster, which I thought was badly overrated when I first saw it. But watching it several more times, it really is a great film.

Forrest Gump, which I thought was ok the first time I saw it. It's much better than "ok."

Fight Club. Oh wait, this one doesn't count because it was immediately one of my favorite films. But it still gets better and better with each viewing.

Spice World. See, I missed many of the subtextual nuances the first five times I saw it. Then, I realized that the filmmakers and screenwriters involved in the project were subtly referencing T.S. Eliot's Wasteland, and Thomas Carlyle's Sartor Resartus (The Tailor Re-tailored).

Brilliant.

swede123
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Napolean Dynamite, probably because of all the hype. First viewing, I was like "what the f*ck?" Each subsequent time, it gets funnier and funnier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call. This was the first one that came to mind.

Swede

diebitter
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Napoleon Dynamite - I still can't work out if the dancing was aboslutely brilliant or totally and utterly spazzy. One of the beauties of the film.

I liked Pedro's cousins best - they rocked!

jthegreat
09-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Tombstone.

imported_The Vibesman
09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Miller's Crossing.
Last Man Standing (with Bruce Willis)

RunDownHouse
09-23-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Spice World. See, I missed many of the subtextual nuances the first five times I saw it. Then, I realized that the filmmakers and screenwriters involved in the project were subtly referencing T.S. Eliot's Wasteland, and Thomas Carlyle's Sartor Resartus (The Tailor Re-tailored).

Brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Josie and the Pussycats is sort of the same way. Its funny on a pretty subtle level that it took a few watchings to pick up.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Groundhog Day
My Cousin Vinny
Anchorman
Airplane

Also a lot of good movies I see that are overhyped are disappointments the first time I see them. Then the second time I see them, I remember being disappointed so they seem much better the second time when the expectations are lower.

EMcWilliams
09-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Basically any Kevin Smith movie from the ViewAskew universe is better each time you see it.

diebitter
09-23-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically any Kevin Smith movie from the ViewAskew universe is better each time you see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Dogma landed perfect, and stays perfect.

MrTrik
09-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Animal House.

beta1607
09-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Big Lebowski

MrWookie47
09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm totally with you on Airplane, pops.

SL__72
09-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Obviously The Big Labowski is the correct answer.

/edit Damnit late again!

Brainwalter
09-23-2005, 10:31 AM
My cousin Vinny. Spectacular.

ChipWrecked
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Full Metal Jacket.

First time I saw it, I didn't care for the combat part. I just liked the basic training half. But it's all genius.

diebitter
09-23-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
vnh. The arguing/flirting is pretty darn hot.

Brainwalter
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm passing your vnh along to Jake.

Wes ManTooth
09-23-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Animal House.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rushmore
09-23-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Josie and the Pussycats is sort of the same way. Its funny on a pretty subtle level that it took a few watchings to pick up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not seen the film of which you speak (or, to be honest, of which I spoke), but must say that one of has a busted sarcasmometer.

Rushmore
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Miller's Crossing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that one just gets worse and worse for me.

asofel
09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Animal House.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent.

Vish
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Talented Mr. Ripley

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that. It put me to sleep the first time I saw it. I've now seen it over a dozen times and it's one of my favorite movies.

imported_The Vibesman
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Miller's Crossing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that one just gets worse and worse for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

To each his own. It's my favorite Coens movie, and everytime I watch it something else jumps out at me as being fantastic.

The Hudsucker Proxy, on the other hand, gets worse for me every time.

Brock Landers
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
The afore mentioned The Big Lebowski (for sure)

" " " Fight Club (after you know the ending, you look at the whole film at many different angles and dynamics)

And you all forgot the best rewatch movie of all time: SHOWGIRLS!!! (The first time I saw it I though it was a -5 out of 10. Every subsequent time you see it it goes up 3 points (that makes it a 16 or so out of 10 for me). It truly is the best worst movie of all time. One day everyone will see it's true genious!

Paluka
09-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Wet Hot American Summer.

B Dids
09-23-2005, 01:53 PM
I need to rewatch this movie badly.

TylerD
09-23-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Groundhog Day

[/ QUOTE ]

nice.

and Fight Club of course.

wrongarm300
09-23-2005, 02:01 PM
The Money Pit
American History X
The Hustler

touchfaith
09-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Finding Nemo

2+2 wannabe
09-23-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

American History X

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good choice

09-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Apocalypse Now

dcasper70
09-23-2005, 03:50 PM
kinda surprised Caddyshack and Stripes haven't been mentioned...

Georgia Avenue
09-23-2005, 04:06 PM
No Raising Arizona? That's gotta be #1 on the Cohen Bros. chart...and the most re-watchable movie ofalltime.

obi---one
09-23-2005, 04:07 PM
The Shawshank Redemption

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

American History X

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good choice

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? For me that's one that was very good, but once was enough.

Eurotrash
09-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Usual Suspects

RunDownHouse
09-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I was skeptical about the TS Eliot part, but I pretty much bought it hook, line, and sinker.

Now go rent Josie. And watch it eight times over the weekend.

Action Scott
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Fletch, just gets better everytime i see it.

private joker
09-23-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now go rent Josie. And watch it eight times over the weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man is not kidding. But I've only seen Josie once, and I picked up on it right away. It's a really smart and subtly subversive little comedy. Good stuff.

4_2_it
09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Blazing Saddles. It was good the first time, but classic the 10th time.

TheBlueMonster
09-23-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm totally with you on Airplane, pops.

[/ QUOTE ]
surely you can't be serious...

I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.

Rushmore
09-23-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one "watch a movie badly?"

diebitter
09-23-2005, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You cover your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears, and chant 'gibble gabble' over and over again.

SomethingClever
09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Super Troopers.

MEOW!

Richie Rich
09-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Many, many movies are that way. Particularly comedies.

La Brujita
09-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Zoolander.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funniest punch in movies.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the theater, by pretending you're at home living your retarded life in private. You yap all the time with your friends, and talk back to the screen. Alternatively, bring your crying baby or your out of control kid and let him run up and down the aisles and just generally shout, cry, and carry on.

greg nice
09-23-2005, 08:06 PM
eternal sunshine of the spotless mind

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:18 PM
This has morphed in the traditional OOT way away from the original question to people just talking about what they like.

Despite the title of the thread, the original question had to do with movies that you first thought "were crap but are really sweet."

Tbose are harder to come up with.

Ones I thought got better that I wasn't thrilled with at first(not necessarily saying they're great now):

1. Jackie Brown
2. Pee Wee's Big Adventure
3. Wall Street
4. The Producers
5. Apocalypse Now
6. Vertigo(didn't like it as much as I wanted to at first even though I'm a Hitchcock nut, but forgive its slow pacing now)
7. North by Northwest -- the seemingly random plot was hard to take at first, though the movie was fun and often clever; I've forgiven that now
8. The Wild Bunch
9. Reservoir Dogs

I need to think up more; there have got to be tons of them.

Some that I liked better and better each viewing even though I liked them fine to begin with:

1. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
2. The Godfather Part I
3. Alien
4. Rounders
5. All Sean Connery's James Bond movies except Diamonds are Forever; Thunderball lost points for ridiculous improbability on subsequent viewings but got them back for the sheer campy joy of the flick later still
6. Rear Window
7. Reanimator -- blew me away at first, now I'm less shocked and more a complete fan; was pretty shocking and hard to take for its time
8. Spirited Away
9. Cool Hand Luke
10. The Magnificent Seven
11. Pulp Fiction
12. Yojimbo
13. Island of Lost Souls(or is it Isle?)
14. Night of the Hunter

All of these are unbelievably rewatchable, except Rounders, which is merely very rewatchable. But I've watched a number of the others directly above so many times I've stopped counting, and wouldn't mind seeing them again. And will.

Blarg
09-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Ed Wood is a good one. It's so gratuitously ugly and perverse that it can be a little annoying, but it's worth seeing again for Martin Landau's incredible speech alone.

MyTurn2Raise
09-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Varsity Blues

I thought it was a POS on first viewing. Now, it's my favorite movie for pre-drinking.

"Listen. You give 'em Percaset, two Vicadin and a couple of beers, and the panties drop. It's very NNNNNIIIIICCCCEEEE."

masse75
09-23-2005, 10:00 PM
For what was originally a 'teen coming of age' movie, I think "Can't Hardly Wait" gets funnier the more I watch it. Especially with Seth Green as the wannabe hip-hopper.

"DAMN! WHY YOU GOTTA BUST ON MY FLAVOR?!?!?"

AceHigh
09-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

thatpfunk
09-24-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For what was originally a 'teen coming of age' movie, I think "Can't Hardly Wait" gets funnier the more I watch it. Especially with Seth Green as the wannabe hip-hopper.

"DAMN! WHY YOU GOTTA BUST ON MY FLAVOR?!?!?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Kenny Fisher: Yo, I gotta have sex tonight! I mean peep this - They say here ninety-two percent of the honeys at UCLA are sexually active. Ninety-two of the women in Los Angeles at UCLA walking around going, "Class... or sex? What shall I do?" Ninety-two percent, yo! Hey, you know what that means?
Ritchie Koolboy: What?
Kenny Fisher: It means I gots a ninety-two percent chance of embarrassing myself. I roll up on that shorty be like, "What's up yo?" she be like, "You don't know 20 different ways to make me call you Big Poppa" cuz I don't yo.

Blarg
09-24-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was pretty miserable the first time around. I'm scared to see it again.

kerssens
09-24-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was your shortest post of all time.

Unoriginalname
09-27-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zoolander.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. First time I saw Zoolander, I thought it was pretty stupid and not very funny. I gave it a second try about a year later, however, and thought it was hysterical. Now I've seen it about 10 times and it gets funnier every time.

EMcWilliams
09-27-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE YOU CRAZY? There are no better quotes drunk than Jay and Silent Bob strike back.

diebitter
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Especially the inexplicably deleted scene where Jay tells the ho what he wants!

Duke
09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When they do 15 other things annoying the other viewers because they don't have the courtesy to pay attention to the film.

~D

imported_The Vibesman
09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When they do 15 other things annoying the other viewers because they don't have the courtesy to pay attention to the film.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

My buddy's girlfriend is terrible to watch movies with. What she does is ask questions about the movie constantly. She'll sit with us, all of us watching a movie for the first time, and not ten minutes in, she starts with the, "Wait...now what is he trying to do? Does he know she is so forth, so on..." as if she hasn't been watching the same exact movie we have and therefore doesn't have the same information we do. I tell her, we are watching the same movie you are.

Ulysses
09-27-2005, 04:47 PM
I'm surprise nobody has given the movie that most qualifies.

Made.

First time, it sucks.
Second time, not so bad.
Third through Millionth time, funniest movie ever.

lgas
09-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Movies I thought were stupid the first time but got better on subsequent viewings:

PCU
Zoolander

A movie I thought was good the first time but got better anyway:

Swingers

Movies I thought were great the first time but get even better:

Dude, Where's My Car? (Believe it or not I'm serious)
Pulp Fiction