PDA

View Full Version : +EV?

09-23-2005, 04:24 AM
All right. I'm sitting on the button in a $200 buy in $5bb NL live game (at Commerce) and lo and behold two black aces come to me. I have about $380 at the time. 4 people limp ahead of me and I punch it up to $30 to thin the field even though I know I'm giving away more info about my hand than I'd like to. 2 of 4 call, both fairly clever lags that I've been playing against a lot in the past few weeks.

The flop comes Qc 5c 2 and I bet the pot. The first lag folds and the second, who has about $1200, pushes all in. Against a normal lag, this would be a fairly easy call as he could be pushing a straight draw, flush draw, or any queen (I've seen this player do that very thing many times). But this guy I'm pretty sure has put me on a big pair and it makes me hesitate - not for long enough as I decide that if he's hit a set he deserves my money and I call. The turn and river are two blanks so I flip over my aces. He nods his head and turns over Qh2h for the winning two pair.

As I'm pushing my chips to him I'm calling myself an idiot for calling the all-in check raise, but I'm also thinking he can't possibly have long term +EV on that play, can he?

Even if he knows for a fact that I have AA, his chances for 2-pair-or-better are less than 4% since he has no straight possibilites, so he's at least 25-1 to out-flop me. So he loses his 25 dollar call 25 times for negative $625 and he gets my ~$380 somewhat less than one time (since AA will suck out sometimes) for we'll say $340 for a negative $285 in the long run, right? Or am I [censored] up the math somewhere? I know there is a strong argument that I should have folded to the check-raise if I knew that he put me on AA/KK - I don't really care about that. I am looking for long term EV responses.

09-23-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

As I'm pushing my chips to him I'm calling myself an idiot for calling the all-in check raise, but I'm also thinking he can't possibly have long term +EV on that play, can he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not doing the math out, it seems like there's no way he has +EV on the pre-flop call.

09-23-2005, 07:46 AM
Well, it's an expensive call PF given his cards and his read on you - unless perhaps that he knew you would call his push when he hit two pair. That would give him good implied odds. I haven't calculated if they are quite good enough, though.

09-23-2005, 08:21 AM
The odds of flopping 2-pair is indeed 24 to 1, so he was not getting anywhere near the right PF odds to call...

spoohunter
09-23-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The odds of flopping 2-pair is indeed 24 to 1, so he was not getting anywhere near the right PF odds to call...

[/ QUOTE ]

What about trips, pair + flush draw, pair + straight straight draw, straight flush draw?

Leptyne
09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Correct me if I'm not reading this correctly, but the odds of hitting ANY two pair on the flop are 24/1. The odds of hitting two pair using BOTH your pocket cards is 49/1.

I believe the figure I've read in the Archives (still looking for the link) is that when you're on a draw you need to get a return of 12:1 on your preflop bet to make up for the times you miss or make second best hand. Like this case where Villain correctly put you on AA-KK but not QQ. Looks like Villain read you correctly and got his 12:1 when he hit.

Gregg777
09-23-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when you're on a draw you need to get a return of 12:1 on your preflop bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you are taking something out of context. You need to define the draw. Someone already pointed out hitting 2 pair is 24 to 1.

09-23-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the figure I've read in the Archives (still looking for the link) is that when you're on a draw you need to get a return of 12:1 on your preflop bet to make up for the times you miss or make second best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure that's in reference to drawing to a pocket pair in the hopes of hitting a set. Admitedly, I did not really bet enough to drive off pocket pairs. I just wanted to make sure that I bet enough to make calling with Q2 unprofitable.

Arbogast
09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
What was the other guys stack? He could have been counting on stacking you both if he hit, no?

Heads up, his move is def. -EV.

Gregg777
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He could have been counting on stacking you both if he hit, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty hard to stack two opps with Q2s, no?

Arbogast
09-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Hard to stack one, too /images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Just trying to provide a possible insight into the villian's mind, not justifying a call here...

Gregg777
09-23-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just trying to provide a possible insight into the villian's mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Donk wanting to gambool? /images/graemlins/grin.gif