PDA

View Full Version : Text messaging and girls- standard now?

bholdr
09-23-2005, 02:30 AM
First off, i've always hated text messaging. the messages take forever to type, they're expensive if they'e not part of the contract, and so on and so forth.

BUT, every girl that i've dated or hooked up with (or tried to, for that matter) this year have been die-hard texters. We'll spend 10 times the time that it should take to have a simple conversation or make plans... it seems like they'd rather text than talk. my bill was a little silly last month.

my question(s):

is this standard now (girls and texting)?
Am i just gonna have to learn to love it, that is, should i just upgrade my plan to include them (i think it's an extra $5/month)
or is my (admittedly small) sample just running towards texters?

thoughts and applicable anecdotes appreciated too.

tyia.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 02:32 AM
My God am I glad I'm past all this [censored]. Texting is the lamest [censored] I can think of.

I dont see whats so hard about texting, "30 minutes?" -> "30 dollars"

sexdrugsmoney
It's standard.

no txt no psy

irishpint
09-23-2005, 02:33 AM
my girlfriends phone bill was about $50 larger than normal because last month she started sending me naughty text messages and pictures. i didn't complain and personally i am glad she did. especially for us college kids, texting is the best since i can do it all through class to ensure i dont learn anything ever at all.

09-23-2005, 02:34 AM
If no text equals no pussy
Does it follow that -
If you have no cell phone, you get no pussy

Its a standard syllogism, isnt it?

bholdr
09-23-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My God am I glad I'm past all this [censored]. Texting is the lamest [censored] I can think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm saying! i can't stand pressing four damn buttons to get a goddamn apostrophy. but i feel like a cheapskate/dick/whatever texting back: "don't text. call."

MrFeelNothin
09-23-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I'm saying! i can't stand pressing four damn buttons to get a goddamn apostrophy. but i feel like a cheapskate/dick/whatever texting back: "don't text. call."

[/ QUOTE ]

you should discover the wonders of the T9 word method...

bholdr
09-23-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me more.

astroglide
09-23-2005, 02:37 AM
i wish texting was more popular. i hate answering my phone to be a part of a one-way communication. and i really hate missing calls, clicking past the missed call thing, and then logging into my voicemail to delete their message without listening to it before i can call them back to hear, "i'll be about 20 minutes late." it could be used in a really practical way, and it seldom is.

tonypaladino
[ QUOTE ]
If no text equals no pussy
Does it follow that -
If you have no cell phone, you get no pussy

Its a standard syllogism, isnt it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No cell phone ≠ No Pussy,

But lack of a cell phone does decrease the probablilty and ease of scoring pussy.

See now, Im not a fan of T9.

irishpint
09-23-2005, 02:38 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

it knows what you are typing based on the sequence of buttons you press. for 'dog' you would just press 364 instead of 36664

tonypaladino
09-23-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i wish texting was more popular. i hate answering my phone to be a part of a one-way communication. and i really hate missing calls, clicking past the missed call thing, and then logging into my voicemail to delete their message without listening to it before i can call them back to hear, "i'll be about 20 minutes late." it could be used in a really practical way, and it seldom is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree voicemails are a pain in the ass. Sometimes I want to change my outgoing message to "Just Text Me Damnit"

Text Message &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Voicemail

MrFeelNothin
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

it knows what you are typing based on the sequence of buttons you press. for 'dog' you would just press 364 instead of 36664

[/ QUOTE ]

damn you kyle, why couldnt you leave him hanging. stop ruining my fun...

Voltron87
texting is lame but standard for the young adult and teen crowd. its super [censored] annoying.

i have had this encounter many times:

&lt;girl texts me&gt;
i read text, call the girl in question
girl answers, asks what did you call about
i say "well you texted me", whats up
girl: uhh nothing
me- well that was edifying.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tell me more.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate this [censored]. I always end up wanting to use words it has no idea exist.

09-23-2005, 02:40 AM
So you'd want one that you could set to vibrate then, right?

PITTM
09-23-2005, 02:41 AM
i havent learned the shortcut typing yet, so i still use the press 2 3 times to get c mode and it takes me forever. but yeah, most girls i meet now end up text messaging me more than i would like. i dont mind TALKING to other people...

rj

bholdr
09-23-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Text Message &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Voicemail

[/ QUOTE ]

for the recieving person, no doubt. hmmmm.

irishpint
09-23-2005, 02:43 AM
stop bitching, sex is only 3 letters. can you imagine having to type 'come over at seven so i can take you out to dinner since i love you and want to spend money on you'? uhh gross.

YourFoxyGrandma
09-23-2005, 02:46 AM
Text messaging is useful when:

a.) You're trying to get a hold of someone who is in class / a meeting and you know they can't answer their phone, but can look at it.

b.) Uh, looks like that's it, actually.

tdarko
09-23-2005, 02:47 AM
my girlfriend would send me text messages from work like "hi" and "hey." well thats one text for me to answer the fucker and one for me to reply, so we have a deal now you better fill that fucker up when you want to text me.

...still didn't work, i now have the 750 text's a month plan /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. oh well, i am away from home 8 months out of the year and most of the time not able to talk on the phone so text message is a viable option for friends.

slickpoppa
09-23-2005, 02:49 AM
this is one phenomenon i just dont get. texting has its uses when one person is somewhere that they cant talk, but girls send them constantly.

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is one phenomenon i just dont get. texting has its uses when one person is somewhere that they cant talk, but girls send them constantly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Girls are not rational. I've found that this is the answer to this and my similar conundrums.

Voltron87
09-23-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the example i posted is the most infuriating to me, they send them for absolutely no reason and with nothing to say

dibbs
09-23-2005, 02:54 AM
Very, very common. Interesting how they use it as a way to flirt etc. Oh technology. I think it's a friggin hassle but would actually prefer it if everyone had Sidekicks so my BS reasons for not answering would be more beleivable.

ChipWrecked
09-23-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
texting is the best since i can do it all through class to ensure i dont learn anything ever at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn shame. I got through school by paying attention in class. That's how I avoided studying.

I didn't take much math.

09-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Just unzip, they cant say no to that

ScottyP431
09-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Text messaging has aids, plain and simple. The only possible exemption to the law "text messaging should result in immediate execution by a buckweat hit steve buscemi style" is simple one way information like "ill be late", " call me later" or "how about in my ass tonight?".

Seriously, if you are not
-A girl in 8th grade
-Gay
-Mute
-Gay
you should not be text messaging.

"but girls do it"
Yes, girls also have penises inserted into their body, in multiple orafices, which you will also be doing shortly afte you begin text messaging. Seriously,the chinamen is not the [censored] issue dude, this is about drawing a line in the sand, and across this line, you do not text message. If the only way you can get ass is to text message, its time to [censored] up your game muchacho. Rent swingers, do some crunches and get a [censored] personality, cause surrendering yourself to the cruel bitch goddess of text messaging, shiva the destroyer of your last miniscule sense of masculine self worth, is the wrong [censored] answer. And what kind of girls are seriously thinking "well, he is like, totally hot, and like, he really looked into my eyes and payed attention when i was talking to him about (insert irrelevant [censored] girls babble about), and he like, looks like bradd pitt, BUT, he doesn't text message, so im gonna get my semen injection somewhere else this week." Text messaging is like AIM flirting only it somehow managed to get gayer, you have to type more, and its gay. Sending a text message is like the Dr. Zhivago of coming out of the closet, its the big one and after you open with that movie you don't need to worry about any more little pictures for quite some time.

"I can do it in class"
Sounds like you should be learning in class retard. Try signing up for the following classes
-finding your penis 101
-Beginners not being gay
-Evolutionary psychology of not being a pussy with lab

If you arent gonna pay attention in class, don't go. Here's what you dont do, you don't come into class, sit next to me, and [censored] click click click text messages for an hour and fifteen minutes to some girl who probably skipped class to blow another guy becuase your such a [censored] d-rocket. And also- dont set your phone to [censored] vibrate and get 40 text messages during class and not answer it right away cause u like the buzzing noise it makes and want everyone to see how popular you are. Pull that car over to the side of the H.O.M.O lane so you can recieve a rodney king style beating at the hands of the douche police: protecting and serving men with sac's from the likes of you.

And i would contend that any girl you have to text in order to bang bang bang is not worht it. It is a [censored] burning bush caliber sign of high maintanence for one. It also means she probably has a hellow kitty pencil bag. I dont really know where i was going with that one. Like WTF- what kind of woman would wrather communicate like a WW 2 wind talker morse code operator. 99 percent of the time a girl text messages you its cause shes bored and decides the best way to deal with her boredom is to be annoying to you, and that is not something you want to encourage by adopting a policy of appeasement.

And i could say not text messaging could help you with the girl, make you stand out. That snubbing her that way could get her interested. That you could tell her youd rather call her so you can hear her laugh cause you like it so much and blah blah blah. And while true, none of that even matters. Those are utilitarian arguments against text messaging and this is a [censored] moral issue, the ends cannot justify the means.

bholdr
09-23-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Girls are not rational. I've found that this is the answer to this and my similar conundrums.

[/ QUOTE ]

i keep forgetting that. not only do i not have girls figured out, but it's impossible TO figure them out. still, i try.

tdarko
09-23-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Text messaging has aids, plain and simple. The only possible exemption to the law "text messaging should result in immediate execution by a buckweat hit steve buscemi style" is simple one way information like "ill be late", " call me later" or "how about in my ass tonight?".

-A girl in 8th grade
-Gay
-Mute
-Gay

"but girls do it"
Yes, girls also have penises inserted into their body, in multiple orafices, which you will also be doing shortly afte you begin text messaging. Seriously,the chinamen is not the [censored] issue dude, this is about drawing a line in the sand, and across this line, you do not text message. If the only way you can get ass is to text message, its time to [censored] up your game muchacho. Rent swingers, do some crunches and get a [censored] personality, cause surrendering yourself to the cruel bitch goddess of text messaging, shiva the destroyer of your last miniscule sense of masculine self worth, is the wrong [censored] answer. And what kind of girls are seriously thinking "well, he is like, totally hot, and like, he really looked into my eyes and payed attention when i was talking to him about (insert irrelevant [censored] girls babble about), and he like, looks like bradd pitt, BUT, he doesn't text message, so im gonna get my semen injection somewhere else this week." Text messaging is like AIM flirting only it somehow managed to get gayer, you have to type more, and its gay. Sending a text message is like the Dr. Zhivago of coming out of the closet, its the big one and after you open with that movie you don't need to worry about any more little pictures for quite some time.

"I can do it in class"
Sounds like you should be learning in class retard. Try signing up for the following classes
-finding your penis 101
-Beginners not being gay

If you arent gonna pay attention in class, don't go. Here's what you dont do, you don't come into class, sit next to me, and [censored] click click click text messages for an hour and fifteen minutes to some girl who probably skipped class to blow another guy becuase your such a [censored] d-rocket. And also- dont set your phone to [censored] vibrate and get 40 text messages during class and not answer it right away cause u like the buzzing noise it makes and want everyone to see how popular you are. Pull that car over to the side of the H.O.M.O lane so you can recieve a rodney king style beating at the hands of the douche police: protecting and serving men with sac's from the likes of you.

And i would contend that any girl you have to text in order to bang bang bang is not worht it. It is a [censored] burning bush caliber sign of high maintanence for one. It also means she probably has a hellow kitty pencil bag. I dont really know where i was going with that one. Like WTF- what kind of woman would wrather communicate like a WW 2 wind talker morse code operator. 99 percent of the time a girl text messages you its cause shes bored and decides the best way to deal with her boredom is to be annoying to you, and that is not something you want to encourage by adopting a policy of appeasement.

And i could say not text messaging could help you with the girl, make you stand out. That snubbing her that way could get her interested. That you could tell her youd rather call her so you can hear her laugh cause you like it so much and blah blah blah. And while true, none of that even matters. Those are utilitarian arguments against text messaging and this is a [censored] moral issue, the ends cannot justify the means.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah um way too long, where is cliffs notes?

ChipWrecked
09-23-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

yeah um way too long, where is cliffs notes?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought at first, but this is gold. This guy should post more. 'd-rocket'. Heh.

tdarko
09-23-2005, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought at first, but this is gold

[/ QUOTE ]
so i should read the whole thing? i started it and his anger started to get repetitive...i guess i will read the whole thing.

Pirc Defense
09-23-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-A girl in 8th grade
-Gay
-Mute
-Gay

"but girls do it"

"I can do it in class"
-finding your penis 101
-Beginners not being gay

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!!! F*ck yes!!! I will read more of your posts.

MrMon
09-23-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i keep forgetting that. not only do i not have girls figured out, but it's impossible TO figure them out. still, i try.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to figure girls out. You have to figure girl out. Sure, it's still a monumental problem, but if you limit the scope of the problem, a solution is much more likely.

Even if the answer does change from hour to hour.

runner4life7
09-23-2005, 03:29 AM
All I know is texting takes so much effort as you have said and 9 out of 10 times im texted I just call the person or ignore it.

Skip Brutale
09-23-2005, 03:43 AM
I dont have a cell phone and I am never going to have one. Stick to your guns.

Eurotrash
09-23-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-A girl in 8th grade
-Gay
-Mute
-Gay

"but girls do it"

"I can do it in class"
-finding your penis 101
-Beginners not being gay

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this is hilarious, great post.

edit: this post gets even better on a 2nd read through, pure gold

siccjay
09-23-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-A girl in 8th grade
-Gay
-Mute
-Gay

"but girls do it"

"I can do it in class"
-finding your penis 101
-Beginners not being gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic post.

I have guy friends that text message. One that is REALLY bad. He's not queer, he's [censored] like 250+ chicks and works in the porn industry now, but he sure does like to send texts instead of calling.

I used to HATE HATE HATE it, now I usually reply with one word because I'm lazy. I will humor chicks that text me, but not too much.

mmbt0ne
09-23-2005, 04:07 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Loc: Atlanta

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, we should hang out. Text me?

EliteNinja
09-23-2005, 04:09 AM
I don't even have a cellphone yet.
geez.

iMsoLucky0
09-23-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even have a cellphone yet.
geez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not old enough to get one?

Bulldog
09-23-2005, 08:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-A girl in 8th grade
-Gay
-Mute
-Gay

"but girls do it"

"I can do it in class"
-finding your penis 101
-Beginners not being gay

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic post.

I have guy friends that text message. One that is REALLY bad. He's not queer, he's [censored] like 250+ chicks and works in the porn industry now, but he sure does like to send texts instead of calling.

I used to HATE HATE HATE it, now I usually reply with one word because I'm lazy. I will humor chicks that text me, but not too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I skimmed it; looks like another Maddox wannabe. Pirate Day was last week!

4_2_it
09-23-2005, 09:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my girlfriends phone bill was about $50 larger than normal because last month she started sending me naughty text messages and pictures. i didn't complain and personally i am glad she did. especially for us college kids, texting is the best since i can do it all through class to ensure i dont learn anything ever at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your post is useless without pictures.

spamuell
09-23-2005, 09:17 AM
It's unbelievable that you have to pay to receive text messages. Do you have to pay to receive phone calls?

TheCroShow
09-23-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's unbelievable that you have to pay to receive text messages. Do you have to pay to receive phone calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes you do, depending on the time you receive the call.

to those complaining about the expensive cost of text msg'ing, get yourself a $2.99 plan and you get anywhere between 200-1000 txt msg's, depending on your provider.

i prefer text msg'ing in a situation(s) like this:

say i'm going to be late, want to change/make plans with someone, it's much easier to text "gonna be late for dinner." "movie tonight? how does 7:30 sound?"

i hate talking on the phone (ironic considering the job i have), and if i can cut that to a text msg that takes 5 seconds to send and a few seconds to respond to without the need to talk with the person, GREAT! =D

Cancer Merchant
09-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Stop wasting time with girls, move up to women.

mslif
09-23-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop wasting time with girls, move up to women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice yet /images/graemlins/grin.gif

09-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I would appreciate(sp?) if somebody could please explain to me how the arguably most technically advanced nation in the world hasn't really picked up on these two facts:
-Text messages are the nuts.
-Checks, for the transfer of money, is well, so last millennium.

(Disclaimer: do not interpret this as standard U.S.-bashing. It is not, I'm genuinly curious.)

Cancer Merchant
09-23-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would appreciate(sp?) if somebody could please explain to me how the arguably most technically advanced nation in the world hasn't really picked up on these two facts:

(Disclaimer: do not interpret this as standard U.S.-bashing. It is not, I'm genuinly curious.)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Calls are much cheaper than text messages in the US, since receiving calls is free on almost all plans. Cost is the reason that text took off vis a vis calling in most of the outside world, where incoming calls cost money. It's much faster than typing. The younger generation is taking to it like a fish to water, though.

2. Inertia, I bet. How do folks in other parts of the world pay their bills? Online, auto-EFT?

Patrick del Poker Grande
09-23-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Texting is lame. I haven't written a check in I don't know how long.

B Dids
09-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Nokia 6800 (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,4486,00.html)
http://www.nokia.com/BaseProject/Sites/NOKIA_MAIN_18022/CDA/Categories/Phones/PhoneModels/Nokia6800/_Content/_Static_Files/6800_mainpage_s1a.jpg

I never text, but I use this a ton just to make notes or enter addresses, if you have to text a lot, it's a godsend.

09-23-2005, 05:23 PM
After reading this thread I realized that I am old.

stabn
09-23-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nokia 6800 (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,4486,00.html)
http://www.nokia.com/BaseProject/Sites/NOKIA_MAIN_18022/CDA/Categories/Phones/PhoneModels/Nokia6800/_Content/_Static_Files/6800_mainpage_s1a.jpg

I never text, but I use this a ton just to make notes or enter addresses, if you have to text a lot, it's a godsend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine got to know my washing machine /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Ogre
09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
i refuse to text girls (or guys)

jason_t
09-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Brilliant.

Dominic
09-23-2005, 07:53 PM
i've never text messaged anyone ever in my life. Seems stupid. If I have a cell phone, why wouldn't I just call her?

I like email though. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2005, 11:12 PM
here are some benefits of texting.
1. No akward silence
2. No reason to immediately reply
3. The repurcusions of saying whatever you want are limited.
4. It can be done discretely.
5. It is a good way to avoid talking to people you don't want to actually talk to.

Ideally, I think texting is somewhat lame when talking to friends, unless its just a short message you want to send to a friend. But, it seems to work well when macking on ladies. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i refuse to text girls (or guys)

[/ QUOTE ]dude, this is an easy way to find out how old a girl is..... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

James Boston
09-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Unacceptable. But I'm also in a bit of a slump, so what do I know?

ThaSaltCracka
09-23-2005, 11:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unacceptable. But I'm also in a bit of a slump, so what do I know?

[/ QUOTE ]you need a slump buster.

KingDan
09-25-2005, 12:08 PM
To any verizon customers... they just increased the price of text messages received from 2 cents to 10 cents without notifying anyone.

I called them up to discuss this, and the answer I got was and basically when you sign the contract they can change the rate at any time without telling you.

jakethebake
09-25-2005, 12:12 PM
I used text messaging for the first tiem recently when I couldn't get online during/following a hurricane here. I didn't care much for it. I use IMs a lot. Apparently too much. I'm working on that. /images/graemlins/heart.gif