PDA

View Full Version : 2/5 $1500 Stacks 3 Handed Flopped Nuts, Ugly River.

TomCollins
09-22-2005, 11:35 PM
Playing against a overagressive call station- tends to call off 3rd pair against big bets, and reraise with questionable hands. He's fairly aggressive post-flop, but more-so preflop. He has 1600, and I have him covered.

I make it 15 from the button with 89o, he makes it 30, BB folds and I call.

Flop is 7c Td Jc. He leads for $25. He usually leads with some kind of hand, and checks when he misses (although he may call often). I pop it to $100, he calls.

Turn is 3d. He checks, I bet $250, and he starts Hollywooding, asking me what I have, and says hes gonna have to fold. This makes me think he has a pretty big hand, maybe real big. But he is pretty dumb and could easily have top pair or worse. He calls.

River is 3h. He bets 255. Whats my play? Is he making a stopper bet with an overpair? We have about 1000 behind at this point.

AZK
09-22-2005, 11:41 PM
call

greg nice
09-22-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
call

[/ QUOTE ]

any raise is close to stack committing. it sounds like from your post there is enough doubt in your read that calling is the best choice.

TheWorstPlayer
09-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Seems like the kind of guy who would never make a reasonable value bet of 255 on the river with a boat. Big pair seems a lot more likely to me. I would probably raise.

Lucky
09-23-2005, 12:20 AM
3 handed, way loose villian, I prob raise it up, then hate it and call when he goes all in with boat.

Allinlife
09-23-2005, 12:27 AM
moves in... looks more like a missed draw

and also I think it is pretty unlikely for set to check-call that turn on double flush +straight draw board

Your Mom
09-23-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

and also I think it is pretty unlikely for set to check-call that turn on double flush +straight draw board

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is a missed draw, then moving in doesn't really do u any good.

Spladle Master
09-23-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is suggesting that moving in on the river looks like a missed draw that is trying to steal the pot.

Brock Landers
09-23-2005, 01:13 AM
I know this is a little un-2+2 like, but what about a river miniraise for value. This way, his KJ or AJ may pay you off. I don't think most would pay off a whole 1000 more without at least a set.

Also, his play doesn't sound like a set. I would think an aggressive player would raise on the flop or at least the turn. He can't really put you on a hand as strong as you have, so he is probably just calling all the way with his mediocre hand (AJ or KJ or even weaker--he is a calling station) just to keep you honest with your possible AK or KQ, etc. (in his mind).

The river 255 seems like and obvious/scared blocking bet. That is why he migh call a miniraise but not an allin.

Brock Landers
09-23-2005, 01:18 AM
Are these little sissy river miniraise value bets ever useful? I was just going out on a limb a little bit here

TomCollins
09-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Suppose I miniraise to 530. He pushes the rest in. It's 700 to call.

Brock Landers
09-23-2005, 01:29 AM
I think your getting about 3.5 to 1 if he pushes after your miniraise so I think you have to call. I just can't see you getting beat based on his image and his play up to this point. I don't think he could possible value bet only 255 into a pot this big after calling the last 2 streets (only $5 more than you bet on the turn). It screams blocking bet to me.

But, I've been wrong before.....a lot

09-23-2005, 02:46 AM
I'm more of a $100/$200 NL player, so I can't claim to be an expert, but I think call is the right way to go. This guy just sounds too unpredictable. Since he could have most anything, you are quite possibly betting into a made hand. The $255 bet actually seems like a teaser from someone who is this aggressive.

technologic
09-23-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing against a overagressive call station- tends to call off 3rd pair against big bets, and reraise with questionable hands. He's fairly aggressive post-flop, but more-so preflop. He has 1600, and I have him covered.

I make it 15 from the button with 89o, he makes it 30, BB folds and I call.

Flop is 7c Td Jc. He leads for $25. He usually leads with some kind of hand, and checks when he misses (although he may call often). I pop it to $100, he calls.

Turn is 3d. He checks, I bet $250, and he starts Hollywooding, asking me what I have, and says hes gonna have to fold. This makes me think he has a pretty big hand, maybe real big. But he is pretty dumb and could easily have top pair or worse. He calls.

River is 3h. He bets 255. Whats my play? Is he making a stopper bet with an overpair? We have about 1000 behind at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

play is to call. if the bet is indeed a blocking bet, it's design is to fold to a raise.

if the bet is a pure bluff, he'll simply muck his cards.

and if he has a hand, well you just dumped your chips to him.

i'm curious as to see what hands he has in this spot that calls a push.

Ulysses
09-23-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are these little sissy river miniraise value bets ever useful?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are willing to call a reraise, yes.

mgsimpleton
09-23-2005, 07:45 AM
all in. if the J paired it's another story... running 3's - he might actually call with an overpair here. I think given your description, he calls with a worse hand way more often than he has a boat. all. in.

mgsimpleton
09-23-2005, 07:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
play is to call. if the bet is indeed a blocking bet, it's design is to fold to a raise.

if the bet is a pure bluff, he'll simply muck his cards.

and if he has a hand, well you just dumped your chips to him.

i'm curious as to see what hands he has in this spot that calls a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

play is indeed not to call (it might be but it certainly isn't as straight forward as you are making it out to be). some people will talk themselves into a call of their blocking bet raises with very little... a player like this who was described as a calling station, especially.

if he had a set, do you reallllllly think he puts hero on 98? why wouldn't he ever be aggressive? then making a small blocking bet on the end? i can't believe how many people are actually considering that he may have a set here, it's incredible.

IMO his likely range is AJ or overpair, with other J's, maaaaaybe JT (but i still think he would have gotten more aggro before, also i really don't understand the minreraise preflop).

he might talk himself into a call if you push. i really think you are behind here way less often than people are making it out to seem and i really think an overpair can desperation call "putting you on JT" and hoping for the best.

Hattifnatt
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
Make it 550.

flawless_victory
09-23-2005, 09:42 AM
its almost certain that your hand is good here... allin prob cant get called so just raise 400 more... he a donk so hes way way more likely to call this than a bigger bet.

yvesaint
09-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Looks like AA-QQ trying to get a cheap showdown. I say raise, because it looks like he can't let go of an overpair. Hell, he might even be thinking his AA-QQ is really good, putting you on TPTK or something.

TomCollins
09-23-2005, 10:08 AM
I miniraised. He pushed and I crapped my pants. I made a crying call, and he showed TT.

SurfNirvana
09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Raise $550 /images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="red"> </font> . IF HE COMES BACK, I'D BE HAPPY.

Gregg777
09-23-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raise $550 . IF HE COMES BACK, I'D BE HAPPY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? /images/graemlins/frown.gif Hero's line is not unreasonable for a set, yet villian is not concerned...

There is just short of 1000 in the pot. If you minraise and he pushes, how many hands are you beating?

When villian pushes hero is getting 3.5 to 1 to call, so he is not expecting a laydown.

Don't put yourself in such a tough situation for another 200 unless you know your opponent loves to over bet the river with lesser hands. Call and take the pot or lose $255 more, not your stack.

ObnxNole
09-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Call...don't get greedy. I puke everytime I get put all in on board like this.

Your Mom
09-23-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He is suggesting that moving in on the river looks like a missed draw that is trying to steal the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that makes sense. TY.

technologic
09-23-2005, 02:12 PM
it's not that i'm saying a set is probable in this spot, i'm saying that a decent sized raise is one that's all in, and that this raise is only probably going to be called by a set.

given that, and because the hero has shown strength throughout the hand, i don't think that a raise all in has any value. although he may be donktastic making huge calls with mid pairs, i don't think he's not clever enough to realize that a person firing on all three streets usually has something.

TomCollins
09-23-2005, 02:47 PM
You'd be surprised. I would bet strong on 3 streets and get called by bottom pair OFTEN by this guy. Also, this guy loves to chase flushes like its his job, and bet medium small when they hit.