PDA

View Full Version : WSOP $1500 NL hand

KrazyKanuck
05-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I would like to get some feedback on a hand that crippled me in the $1500.00 No Limit event this week at WSOP. I realize looking back that I played it badly but would like some input into it anyways. Basically there was a young player to my right, who was making alot of plays pretty much whenever the opportunity presented itself. He had the button when it was folded to him in the 50/100 round. He raised to 300 when in my small blind I had AQ of clubs. I pretty much was positive he wasn't that strong. I had 4400 in Tchips to his 2900TC. The big blind was very short and wasn't really an issue. I reraised him to a total bet of $1050, the Big Blind folded and then the button pushed all in. I called him. He turned up Ace Ten to my AQ. The flop came QJ2, turn Q river King giving him broadway to my trips and knocking my steam out of me. I ended up all in with AK and raised into aces about 3 orbits later, not much i could do there. Anyways, I'm looking for feedback on the AQ clubs play into that aggressive player. Thanks in advance.
KrazyKanuck
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

sam h
05-10-2003, 02:06 PM
Given your read on the player, I think you played it well.

This is a tough situation, because in order to make a raise large enough to induce the button to fold, you have come pretty close to potstuck. On the last call, you are getting 4050:1850. Against this type of player, I think folding is usually wrong here though calling is definitely high variance. You are only really in trouble against AA.

You got the money in as a substantial favorite but lost. Nobody wins these tournaments without a lot of luck.

KrazyKanuck
05-10-2003, 03:16 PM
THanks for the reply Sam
I was thinking afterwards of 2 ways of playing that hand differently. I was thinking that I maybe should have reraised more preflop, like to 2000 or maybe even all in to make him committ or, smooth calling pre and either betting or check raising the flop. Not sure but I believe in either case, I would have won the hand either preflop or on the flop. You are right about the luck though, you really need it in the tourneys. The worst part about chipping that player up was that he continued to play like a maniac and ended up busting 25 minutes later SCREAMING about HIS bad beat. I didn't say a word when he took me down, yet he chirped at me for 10 minutes for calling his all in reraise preflop. He seemed to think that my call preflop was a horrible call. Go figure...
KK
/forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

brianmarc
05-10-2003, 05:33 PM
Interesting! To quote Bobby Jones when he saw Nicklaus and Plamer play; "These gentlemen play a game with which I am unfamiliar!"

KC50
05-11-2003, 01:14 PM
BTF I like to smooth call here or go all-in and put him to the test. Then if you don't hit the flop you can get away from your hand easy. When you flopped top pair best kicker, I go all-in here and put him to the test of calling off his chips. Smooth calling BTF affords you the luxury of not giving give him the opportunity to put any moves on you OTF unless you let him.

iblucky4u2
05-11-2003, 02:06 PM
Why are you beating yourself up? You were a huge favorite BTF, on the flop and till the K hit on the river. The real problem is that you let it affect your game. You still had 1500 in chips - enough to come back (with some luck). I find that when I lamment my bad beats I tend to have more of them, whereas when I can smile at my opponents luck and know I did the right thing I will tend to attract winning cards/flops/plays!

Greg (FossilMan)
05-11-2003, 07:17 PM
Sounds like you played it perfect to me.

When they whine or gloat, either say something VERY witty or keep your mouth shut. If you say anything less than a premium "bon mot", you end up looking like the foolish one.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

ALL1N
05-12-2003, 03:17 AM
If your perceive the button to be very aggressive, then a flat call is probably best, for the following reasons:

You aren't easily going to get away from your hand if you reraise, as demonstrated.

AQ is not the type of hand you want to be going allin with for 30 times the BB.

You should win a big pot if you flop a hand, as you descibed him as aggressive.

Anyway that's my take. I wouldn't normally reraise there, but it turned out fine for you (him calling with a dominated hand).

ohkanada
05-12-2003, 09:27 AM
I think your play was fine. Maybe your call of the re-raise was marginal. But if your opponent is aggressive as you claim it would be tough to lay your hand down. Against many players muck to the re-raise.

Smooth calling the initial raise is certainly an option and likely would have won this time but anytime you can get someone to commit their whole stack as a big underdog you are quite happy, even though the results don't show.

Ken Poklitar