PDA

View Full Version : [30/3] AKo with huge stack in the bubble, 3(?)-handed pot

Xhad
09-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Reads-wise, cold-caller is a somewhat tricky player but I'm not so sure he's clever enough to do this with something like AA hoping I'll overpush with trash. On the other hand, button practically pot-commits himself with the call and if he calls I have a good chance of having a huge chunk knocked out of my stack. On the OTHER other hand, if button beats me, he will likely beat shorty as well and end the bubble, putting me ITM with a reasonable stack.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t785)
Button (t1260)
Hero (t3870)
BB (t2085)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t785 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t785, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3870 (All-In)</font> but doesn't feel so great about it.

KingDan
09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Either push or call if you feel like getting cute and pushing any flop.

He might make a fold there if he missed not wanting to bubble. FWIW I would keep it simple and just autopush pf.

psyduck
09-22-2005, 08:55 PM
come on, this is an automatic-push. Button probably wanted to 'make sure' that UTG got eliminated and called, now if you push, there's a good chance button folds and you get into a good sized-pot (where you contributed only 1/3 of the pot) where you're most likely either dominating over UTG or in a coinflip

lastchance
09-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Not pushing here is *insert adjective here which is synonymous with bad*.

Xhad
09-22-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Either push or call if you feel like getting cute and pushing any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, hadn't even thought of the stop-and-go. In retrospect I don't think it would accomplish anything here though; I think the guy who called (him specifically, not just any "generic opponent who calls here") is going to autopush the flop anyway and he acts before me anyway. Also, I don't want to give the BB any ideas if I can help it; notice he's getting 7-to-1 or so on a call if I call, too much even after taking bubble-weak-tightness into account.

Xhad
09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, glad to see the posts agree with my action so far; good thing I have a personal rule of not deviating from the "obvious" play until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

Interesting side problem: After I pushed, the BB called. What hands is he correct to call with here?

kyro
09-22-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, glad to see the posts agree with my action so far; good thing I have a personal rule of not deviating from the "obvious" play until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

Interesting side problem: After I pushed, the BB called. What hands is he correct to call with here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically everything that he called the original hand with.

Xhad
09-22-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means. That he should call with anything I would push here? Or anything that he would play against button if I folded? Or something else?

EDIT: It's possible you may think I meant the button called; actually, the BB cold-called my push, then the button surrendered his original call after this happened.

kyro
09-22-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means. That he should call with anything I would push here? Or anything that he would play against button if I folded? Or something else?

EDIT: It's possible you may think I meant the button called; actually, the BB cold-called my push, then the button surrendered his original call after this happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. Why yes, you're right.

If I was BB...I'd call with....

QQ+/AK

AQ if I had a read on my moro...opponents.

Xhad
09-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Not that it matters much, but I thought it was kind of funny; BB called, button folded, UTG has Q9o and BB has AA. Flop comes 9 high but then turn is a K and river is also a K, giving me over 7500 chips. I didn't lose.

Xhad
09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Out of curiosity, why AK over JJ?

downtown
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would need to see AA/KK. I didn't ICM it, but that's my gut reaction.

Nicholasp27
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
ak is a premium hand
you have 3x the 2nd stack
why are you scared?

best case: you're hu with 6k chips
worst case: 4-handed and you still have 2400 chips as chip lead with button down to 1k chips

normal case: button folds anything other than aa/kk/qq/ak...so 785 in dead money in pot plus the 400bb, so 1185 in dead money...so you are hu with ak getting 2.5-1 odds and will still be chip lead with over 3k chips if you lose...

calling and then folding if u don't hit the flop is the worst thing you can do...why give those 2 785 of your chips? just folding here is also very -ev...

in conclusion: poooooosh and thank the dealer for giving you cards for a +ev play, regardless of what comes on the board

Hornacek
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
come on, this is an automatic-push.

[/ QUOTE ]

09-23-2005, 11:12 AM
It think the over the top play is fine. The raiser and caller have much shorter stacks than you, and it gives you a very good chance to place yourself in a position to win the tourney. It is likely that you have at least one of them dominated, and a race against the other. You have a good hand, but not a monster (still a drawing hand), so it would behoove you to come over the top to get the big out of the way. I do not think you can worry about aa or kk from the big in this situation. Overall, exactly how I would play it at this stage.