PDA

View Full Version : DVD Review: Grave of the Fireflies

John Cole
05-10-2003, 06:35 AM
After reading Chuck Weinstock's review of Spirited Away, I grabbed it along with Grave of the Fireflies, another Japanese anime film. Grave is the story of an adolescent boy, Seita, and his five year old sister, Setsuko, who become the victims of a firebomb attack on Kobe in WWII.

The film opens with the "rei," or spirit, of Seita intoning, "September 21, the day I died." A body lies in the train station, and passersby remark about the "bum" who sleeps there. The "bum," though, is Seita, and he has already died of starvation. Titles roll.

Seita scrambles to bury whatever foodstuffs the family has, while his mother makes her way to the air raid shelter. He has been left in charge of his sister. As they head for the shelter, firebombs explode around them, and the city bursts into flames. Later, Seita will discover his mother fatally wounded, and he and Setsutko go to live with an aunt and her family who mistreat both children. The two children leave the aunt's home, and for the rest of the film, we watch their struggle to find food and survive.

The film is punctuated by moments of pure joy between the two children amidst the tragedy that envelops them. In one scene, Seita captures fireflies and brings them into the cave where the children are living, much to Setsutko's delight. The next morning, Setsutko has dug a grave and buries the fireflies as she asks her brother why they died. At this point, we learn that Setsutko's aunt has told Setsutko of her mother's death, news that Seita has tried to keep from her.

Although Seita tries to find enough food, he cannot, and Setsutko starves. The film closes with a glorious, moving final scene when Setsutko's "rei" joins her brother.

Grave of the Fireflies is a must see. It's one of the finest anti-war films I've ever seen, and it's also, along with Whistle Down the Wind and Spirit of the Beehive, one of the great films about how the world appears through the eyes of children.

Cyrus
05-10-2003, 07:33 AM
A venting : I hate Japanese animation! The drawing is horrendous. I don't care how much work or effort has gone into designing manga or cartoons, the result is what counts and the result IMPO is crap. Unadulterated crap.

Indicative peeve : The eyes! Japanese artists must have some inferiority complex about how the West treats oriental eyes ("slits"!) so they make their characters' eyes like exaggerated Bambi's. Horrible! (Don't start me about the mouths; they're mostly like sex dolls'.) I can tell if an artist is Japanese easier than I can tell who's the drummer in a band.

Throw in the unhealthy obsession (I'm talking about the popular culture now, not some cult niche) with the undercurrent of sadism against women and you have a complete turn-off.

The kid stuff coming out of Japan is no better. The most ugly characters ever to grace a computer screen are those goddamn Pokemons. They are not so-bad-they're-good, they are just plain butt ugly! No, let me rephrase that. They are so-damn-cute-they're-ugly! (And it's very unfortunate that kids all over the world now get their first taste of what cartoons and animation are like from that kind of crap. The worst Batman artist would be better than this!)

All the above refers to the visual element and not the scripts. The scripts are a different matter altogether. But the thrill of animation is primarily visual and Jap anime is bad, bad, very bad.

Ray Zee
05-10-2003, 09:38 AM
a firebomb attack

bodies in train stations

city bursts into flames

starvation and mistreating children

thanks john, finally a review of an action film and not one of your artsy movies with a theme.

John Cole
05-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Cyrus,

I agree with much of what you say, but try this one; some of the visual elements are quite good, but it certainly isn't classic animation. And, I found that the newer "Pixar" animation leaves me feeling cold. I long for the real stuff that I remember fondly (Sleeping Beauty).

John

P.S. I was distracted by the eyes at first, but this film works despite this distraction.

John Cole
05-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Ray,

Heaven forbid you ever hear me mention "theme."

John

Mark Heide
05-11-2003, 10:30 PM
John,

I hate watching cartoons, but your description of the plot intrigues me, so I think I'll rent this one. Thanks.

Mark