PDA

View Full Version : Help me build my setup

TStoneMBD
09-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Well you clicked this thread because you wanted to help me. I appreciate it thats awfully kind of you.

Right now my setup is a 512MB 1.1ghz athlon PC with 2 21" CRT monitors. Pretty ghetto.

Im planning on purchasing a laptop. Looks like Ill be going with the Inspiron 9300 wuxga. I need a video card that allows me to run a monitor on my laptop so that I can get 3200x1200 resolution. How do I do that? If I have to purchase the video card at a place like Circuit City, can I call Dell and tell them that I don't want to purchase the laptop with their default video card or can I purchase the needed video card directly from them? I've been told that the video card that comes in laptops does not support dual monitors but has a monitor hookup.

Im also loooking to get a portable hard drive at 7200rpm or faster if there is an affordable option on the market. I want to put my PC with my CRT monitors in my bedroom and use that machine is a datamine computer. I want to save the databases to the portable hard drive so that I can plug it into my laptop and use them for play. Is this the optimal way to set this up? Will a 7200rpm portable HD run as fast as a 7200rpm HD inside the computer?

I've had trouble in the past loading hand histories into my PC when my database gets to 80k hands or so. Pokertracker usually freezes up and doesn't complete the import. I could upgrade the ram to 1GB if that could help, but changing motherboards should be tough for me. A friend built this computer for me and I'm pretty sure we chose the slowest rpm hard drive on the market when it was made a few years ago. So my guess is that its the hard drives fault and not the motherboard/ram. Should the PC work as a datamine computer with the portable harddrive with possibly an extra 512mb chip?

TheTROLL
09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
The HDD spin speed is not the issue. The old PC is probably struggling because of the processor.

I noticed on the PT forum recently that Pat is aware there are performance issues with big databases and is working on improvements - this will involve internal changes to the database structure, indexing etc. - not stuff you need a faster PC for.