PDA

View Full Version : $22 AJ bubble waiting for micro stack to bust

splashpot
09-22-2005, 05:10 PM
***** Hand History for Game 2756661583 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:15969429 Level:7 Blinds(150/300) - Thursday, September 22, 17:02:42 EDT 2005
Table Table 14923 (Real Money)
Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 1: Translucity ( $1210 )
Seat 2: paycut ( $1623 )
Seat 3: menace03 ( $4851 )
Seat 10: qmaxwell3000 ( $316 )
Trny:15969429 Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Translucity [ Jh Ah ]
paycut folds.
menace03 raises [1000].
qmaxwell3000 folds.
Translucity folds???

The villian has been raising every hand for the past 5-6 hands so I'm somewhat confident that my hand is better than his. But after folding his SB, the tiny stack only has 166 chips left.

bluefeet
09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
you can't call this. sucks, but you can't. even AK vs. any-two (60/40) doesn't justify calling as short as shortie is. AA,KK,QQ only. shortie will NOT be HU sliding his last couple chips when clearing the blinds...an extremely tall task seeing only 3 more hands. in fact, he needs TWO double-ups before you are in any danger. sit tight - you'll get to do your push/calling very shortly /images/graemlins/wink.gif

splashpot
09-22-2005, 06:45 PM
That's what I thought. Funny thing is, the tiny stack survived his BB for the next 2 rounds. During those rounds, the big stack pushed every hand and we folded every hand. Paycut finally busted, I had 110 chips left and qmaxwell had 90 left. I got 2nd.

JJKillian
09-22-2005, 06:48 PM
the important thing you should have learned here is how the big stack played his stack. Just remember it the next time you have this situation reversed.

When the smoke clears you will have this same situation, which puts you in the high 90% range to take first.

JJ

Uppercut
09-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Under these circumstances, I fold AJo here approximately 100% of the time.

xJMPx
09-22-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the important thing you should have learned here is how the big stack played his stack. Just remember it the next time you have this situation reversed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering how effective you guys think this hyperaggressive style is when ur the big stack on the bubble playing the 20s and 30s.

I play the 30s and my reason for my wondering is that it seems to me that I get way too many calls when I find myself in this position.

What the general strategy for raising? Pushing every hand, or just raising 3-4X BB? Do you have any raising standards, or just raising any two?

Obviously it depends on reads, if there's a maniac at the table you'll have to slow down, etc.

Sorry I'm rambling, just some general pondering really!

splashpot
09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering how effective you guys think this hyperaggressive style is when ur the big stack on the bubble playing the 20s and 30s.

I play the 30s and my reason for my wondering is that it seems to me that I get way too many calls when I find myself in this position.

What the general strategy for raising? Pushing every hand, or just raising 3-4X BB? Do you have any raising standards, or just raising any two?

Obviously it depends on reads, if there's a maniac at the table you'll have to slow down, etc.

Sorry I'm rambling, just some general pondering really!

[/ QUOTE ]
There are 2 requirements for this strategy to work. You must be the big stack by a large margin on the bubble. And there must be a tiny stack that everyone is waiting to bust. Being the big stack alone is not good enough.

lorinda
09-22-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Paycut finally busted, I had 110 chips left and qmaxwell had 90 left. I got 2nd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this is very results orientated, I think this shows how right you were to fold the AJ.

Things didn't go your way and you STILL got 2nd.

Lori