PDA

View Full Version : KQs from UTG

checkmate36
09-22-2005, 04:47 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP1 is a bit loose (VP$IP of 25 and PFR of 16.67%)
Earlier in the session when he first came to the table I was in the BB and he posted instead of waiting a few hands. Shows me he may possibly be an immpatient player with loose style

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

It seems he likes the flop. I decided to call him down to showdown at this point. (unless I improve)

Turn: (6.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Anyone fold here as I have not improved my hand?

River: (8.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB

Any thoughts on my play? Against tighter player I would play it differently but no telling what he is holding.

W. Deranged
09-22-2005, 04:50 PM
I prefer to raise pre-flop. This is likely an example of a hand where raising pre-flop might have made it possible to make much beter decisions post-flop. Who knows.

As played I think the post-flop play looks good. I don't like to fold this in a heads-up pot against an aggro. opponent.

RandBriscoe
09-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Raise preflop.

Bet the flop, then call down to a raise.

I hope you didnt let him in with QT.

checkmate36
09-22-2005, 04:59 PM
SSH gives this a limp from UTG so I went with it. My PFR is low so maybe I need to adjust when the situation is called for.

09-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Raising or calling with KQs in early position is a close decision. But if you are looking to improve your pfr stats then rasing with this hand could be used to manipulate the stats. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

09-22-2005, 05:11 PM
My humble opinon: Why raise preflop when your hand is so strong in a multiway pot? This is a limp for me, with this terrible position the flop is going to make or break any KQ. In this case, I would lead out on the flop. This is a draw-heavy board, so why give anyone a free card? Were you counting on MP1 to raise it? Even in the interest of protecting my hand, I would lead out the flop so he could reraise and fold any other players.

09-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Raising purely for the sake of increasing your PFR is TERRIBLE. With that said, at LEAST raise KQs in these micro-limit games (I also raise KQo UTG as do many others).

Raise pre-flop.
Bet flop, if he raises call down to river.

NobodysFreak
09-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Raise pre-flop. Even if you didn't raise PF you should be betting that flop right out. The turn and river cards don't fit well with the board so I think you're safe calling this down, but seriously, raise pre-flop and bet the flop right out.

09-22-2005, 05:14 PM
You raise KQs for the same reason you raise AJs. They both fare well multi-way, but the reason they do well is because of their high card value. High card value trumps connectedness and suitedness.

RandBriscoe
09-22-2005, 05:22 PM
You raise to get more money in the pot. It's not likely that anyone at the table has a better hand. Push your edge.

pete shaw
09-23-2005, 03:35 PM
With no read I cant see laying this down on the turn. The pot is pretty good size. He could have sat down and lucked into A's, K's, T's, QQ's(not as likely), or AQ. If he posted and raised with Qx for two pair, oh well. Call down here, and crush him the rest of the session.

Also, I think you have to bet out on the flop.

car ramrod
09-23-2005, 03:43 PM
raise pf, hand plays different after that.

The way you played it, I am not folding either, so I guess your line is good.

jrz1972
09-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Raise PF. Then bet the flop and keep betting until you run into resistance. Then call down. Routine.

09-23-2005, 03:54 PM
(grunching)

preflop: I raise KQs from UTG.
flop: the c/r seems alright, given the read. I'm worried about the 3-bet, but then I'm not worried. LAGs are random.
turn: I want to bet into LAG here to take control of the hand. I would fold to a raise. I'm saying this, but I'd probably check &amp; call, weak/tight again!
river: if he called my turn bet, I'd expect him to call with a worse hand, more often than not.

checkmate36
09-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help. Opponent showed AQo /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Nilbud
09-23-2005, 04:45 PM
This has got to be a raise preflop in my opinion.

As you played it, I think you have to call him down.

09-23-2005, 05:13 PM
KQs is one hand I love to randomise UTG. In a loose\passive game I'm more inclined to raise because I'm going to get the callers anyway. If the sLAG was in a later position, I would definitely limp. The chance that he is going to raise and trap bettors in between is too great not to (IMHO).
Being so close on your left, I probably would have raised PF.
Other than that, I think you played correctly.
BWWIK.
Unfortunately, as you found out, just because someone plays loose, doesn't mean they don't have a hand. Crush him on the next hand.

Bradyams
09-23-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm surprised at the amount of people who are ok with limping this preflop.

I'm pretty sure this is a raise for me 100% of the time.

A_K
09-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Grunch. Raise preflop. I think the rest is fine.

09-23-2005, 08:11 PM
I have noticed recently I am pretty passive pre-flop and have tried to read and gain knowledge on hands worth raising, and this is a hand that I now raise even UTG....Besides for this I would have probably played this hand the same as you...
Hades18