PDA

View Full Version : Basic Omaha Strategy

09-22-2005, 03:52 PM
I am new to Omaha, but I enjoy the game. Could someone please school me on the basic strategy of Omaha? What starting hands are considered raising hands? What are some basic concepts for flop play?

I am fairly experience in hold em but I have come to realize Omaha is a totally different game.

joewatch
09-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Just buy Ciaffone's Omaha book. Nobody is going to write that much in a single post!

09-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Eventhough you only play 2 of your 4 cards, don't think of your starting hand as 6 independant HE hands.

AhKd is a great HE hand. 6c7c is a decent HE hand. AhKd6c7c is a garbage Omaha hand.

PLOlover
09-22-2005, 07:50 PM
a) play starters that are coordinated
b) flop really well
c) improve your hand after the flop

09-22-2005, 09:29 PM
You really think AhKd6c7c is garbage? I would call with this, so you can see where I am at with my omaha play.

What kind of hands should I be raising with? It seems to me like pocket pairs and suited cards make good hands.

greatwhite
09-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Omaha strategy is definately more basic than hold'em. Play 4 cards that work well together or aces, only draw to the nuts, and make people pay when you are clearly ahead.

henrikrh
09-23-2005, 09:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Omaha strategy is definately more basic than hold'em. Play 4 cards that work well together or aces, only draw to the nuts, and make people pay when you are clearly ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I draw to the second nuts quite a bit, if the four flush has only come on the turn and many players folded on the flop the chance that you are up against the nut flush draw as well as a hand that already has you beat isn't that high. Besides the use of words such as 'only' 'always' and 'never' don't make for good strategy in most poker games imo.

Everything depends on the amount of opponents in the hand, if it's 3 or above you need top set to play or a nut flush and str8 draw. However if there's only one opponent a weaker hand like top two pair becomes playable.

09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
Right. And if it were that easy, how great players could beat good players?

UttBuggly
09-23-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a) play starters that are coordinated

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll bite....what do you mean by that?

I've recently started playing PLO at the .5-.10c and .10-.25c levels on FT, UB and PS.

So far, I've been winning but I DON'T know what constitutes a good start hand.

I have been playing pairs of 9 or better, preferably with suited paint...AdQd9c9s....and calling to the flop. I rarely put in a pre-flop raise like I would with NLHE.

I tend NOT to chase but have done so with a nut str8 or flush draw and no pairs on the board.

Is there a definitive book on PLO?

Thanks!