PDA

View Full Version : OT: My Life

Unarmed
09-22-2005, 02:08 PM
So as a quick intro, I recently took a year off from my equity research position to play poker and travel. I'm currently chillin in Waikiki Beach. Already saw a sick waterfall smack in the middle of a rainforest and tomorrow I'm off to tour the north shore. But anyway, enough of that, you want to hear about the poker right?

Day 1:

I find out my hostel has free wi-fi. Bring the laptop down to the courtyard at around 12 (6PM EST) and fire up 4 SNGs. It's a beautiful day and I'm laid back crankin some Tribe Called Quest. NICE! I go 0/16 my first four sets. NOT NICE. F*cking stupid f*cking SNGs #$%#%#%$# I play even for the rest of my 30 set and finish the day off 16 buyins. Thank you poker gods, ya f*ckers. Can I not run good my first friggin day? I hate poker. Yugo, get me my noose. I go back to my room. There's a half naked girl lying asleep in my bed. Life is suddenly not so bad.

Day 2:

Me and chickie (previously mentioned) ditch the hostel and its non-A/C ghettoness (f*ck I'm a princess) and get a room in the Waikiki Grand. I hit the surf for a couple hours in the morning (which instantly removes and\y sort of tilt one couple possibly be on BTW) and ask at the desk if they have internet hook-up. Yes they do! WAHOO. In the gay bar on the 2nd floor. Right on.

Enter the bar, ask the owner if I can play poker on his wi-fi, he says of course. I park it 2 feet from the transmitter. Lovely, this is looking good. I have guys sit down beside me with the hand on the shoulder routine about once per hour. This is fine, I chuck in a girl reference early in the conversation and its all good. Then I have a moment of zen.

So I'm sitting there, 4-tabling. ABBA is pumping hard over the system. It's kinda dark. A large dude in a floral shirt sits down beside me, and fires up the internet, surfing over to vacdealers.com (or equivalent), He sits there and surfs through listings of vacuum sales/information. ABBA disc ends, Kylie Minogue comes on.. I JUST CANT GET YA OUTTA MY MIND. Fat used vacuum salesguy is groovin to the beat. He starts sweating profusely, but won't stop feelin the music....

And it hits me...

I'm playing poker for a living in a gay bar a sand wedge from Waikiki beach beside a gay vacuum salesman who's groovin and sweating profusely to the sounds of Kylie Minogue.

This is my life?
This is my life.
Wow...

Anyway, day two I'm up 7 buyins over the 30 and I don't hate poker so much. Get pounded at the local bar (The Doghouse) on $1 dollar drinks. F*ckin A.

Day three. More morning surf, man do I ever love this place. NOTHING beats waking up to a perfect cool island breeze through your window. I should bottle that ish. Back to the gay bar, I'm approx even after 26 SNGs, and go 4/4 the last set to finish up 9 buyins. SWEET. Back to even for my pro career. LOL.

And that brings me up to today. It's 8AM and I'm reviewing HHs. I don't think I'm going to be posting on 2+2 much (if ever anymore) as I just don't have the time. There will be support groups set up throughout the continental US to help all of you get over the withdrawl symptoms /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I'm anti-SNG now anyway I think. As soon as I feel comfortable, I'm going to start one-tabling the Stars HU SNGs instead. The money is similar, and I think they're far superior in terms of maknig one into a better poker player (which is mostly what I'm interested in anyway).

You all need to move here. Seriously. 4-5 2+2ers in a sick beach house, come here and I'll make it happen. Our learning curves would shoot through the roof. You think it helps your game chatting on AIM about hands? Try sitting beside another pro giving each other in game advice. Plus, there's the small perk of having perfect weather, perfect surf, as much girls/partying as you want, but I shouldn't even need to mention that.

That's it.
My name is Unarmed.
I play poker for a living.
I live in Waikiki.

Join me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

wildzer0
09-22-2005, 02:14 PM
I'm sitting in an office hi-rise in new york city. i think i just puked a little.

congrats!!

AbelM
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
You convinced me, i'll come /images/graemlins/cool.gif

citanul
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
/endlife.

citanul

Nicholasp27
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
i'm sitting in a cubicle procrastinating doing work that bores me

i'm hopeful that i can eventually become a good enough sng player to be able to free myself of the prison that is the corporate world

downtown
09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah Hawaii might be great, but cold Chicago winters are good for your soul. Think of your soul, Unarmed!

Mr_J
09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
"The money is similar,"

Yeh if you only 4 table normal sngs lol. You really need to be able to 2table HU.

microbet
09-22-2005, 02:22 PM
Best wishes, best of luck and have fun.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
09-22-2005, 02:23 PM
sounds like a lot of fun. Sometimes I wish I was younger so I could give it a try (family now)... plus I am not as good of a player as you /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Also, hope your kidding about not posting much any more.

Tell us more about the half naked girl!

valenzuela
09-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Next week Im going to work on a factory and live on a modest house. Its an intresting experience junior from my school go through.

1C5
09-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Great post.

I love Hawaii also.

Whoever has not been, GO!!!!

ilya
09-22-2005, 02:26 PM
What sort of money are you spending on rent etc a month would you say? Cos I'm tempted to come visit once I've moved up a bit. I'm not a great wingman but I do promise to get a haircut.

Oh btw...TTIWW/OP /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

raptor517
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
dont give up 10 handed sngs for hu sngs. not worth it in any way other than practice. awesome that yer havin a good time. im happy for you. ill be movin there or somewhere else beachy for the summer. well talk /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

Ixnert
09-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Well, sh*t. I'm just not as happy with my life as I was a few minutes ago...

Ah, well, motivation. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nicholasp27
09-22-2005, 02:38 PM
u said travel...how long are u planning on staying in hawaii and then where are you going?

my goal is to one day travel the world in 1-3 month stints per country...poker is the perfect job for that...if u have all ur affairs at home in order, u just need to make enough to live on while abroad...rent an apartment away from tourist areas and get to know the real country and people, not the museums and gift shops...

Apathy
09-22-2005, 02:39 PM
If you come and meet me in Dublin I'll come to Wakikki, that place sounds amazing.

Have you found any good places (permanant) yet?

lacky
09-22-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to start one-tabling the Stars HU SNGs instead. The money is similar, and I think they're far superior in terms of maknig one into a better poker player ( and I'm mostly just interested in being able to beat lacky next year ).

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Steve

(I hate you)

Gramps
09-22-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...and ask at the desk if they have internet hook-up. Yes they do! WAHOO. In the gay bar on the 2nd floor. Right on.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have guys sit down beside me with the hand on the shoulder routine about once per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
ABBA is pumping hard over the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Fat used vacuum salesguy is groovin to the beat. He starts sweating profusely...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm [] in a gay bar a sand wedge from Waikiki beach beside a gay vacuum salesman who's groovin and sweating profusely to the sounds of Kylie Minogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You convinced me, i'll come

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I wish I was younger so I could give it a try

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted to come visit

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ah, well, motivation

[/ QUOTE ]

Nicholasp27
09-22-2005, 03:09 PM
nh

kevstreet
09-22-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, sh*t. I'm just not as happy with my life as I was a few minutes ago...

[/ QUOTE ]

same

SuitedSixes
09-22-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In the gay bar on the 2nd floor. I have guys sit down beside me with the hand on the shoulder routine about once per hour.

And it hits me...

Get pounded.
F*ckin A.

[/ QUOTE ]

After editing your post I don't hate you, AS much.

chipolino
09-22-2005, 03:12 PM
That's it, I'm moving to Waikiki Beach /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freudian
09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Great post.

Slim Pickens
09-22-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a half naked girl lying asleep in my bed. Life is suddenly not so bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I need to take a walk around the UNLV campus to feel better. Yeah... OK... they're standing up but I could imagine them lying down. I feel better.

It all sounds awesome. I'm convinced there would be no war and sickness if everyone had the same attitude about life you do.

Nicholasp27
09-22-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I need to take a walk around the UNLV campus to feel better. Yeah... OK... they're standing up but I could imagine them lying down. I feel better.

It all sounds awesome. I'm convinced there would be no war and sickness if everyone had the same attitude about life you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

the ocean, a half-naked girl and half a dozen gay men is all that's needed to keep sickness at bay?

Slim Pickens
09-22-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the ocean, a half-naked girl and half a dozen gay men is all that's needed to keep sickness at bay?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much something for everyone, right? "I don't care that I have [dysentary, dropsey, plague... whatever]. I'm going to spend the next five days playing with [the ocean, a half-naked chick, six gay men... whatever your trip is]." People would be way to busy for war.

raptor517
09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he hasnt hit a big downswing yet, give it time /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

psyduck
09-22-2005, 04:40 PM
WTF where did the half-naked girl on the bed come from? Some random chick you hooked up with?

Bastard

edit: hey raptor has 3000 posts.