PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions in 6max?

aargh57
09-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Question 1)

These types of situations seam to come up a lot and I was wondering if this is just a no brainer play or if I'm being to LAGy with it.

If your in the BB with crap and SB completes, should you automatically go for the pot when a paired board comes up like
T /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif

or

3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif

My default play is to bet at the pot. How about other non-cordinated boards? Anyway, this is probably a no brainer but I just want to be sure.

Question 2)

If it's checked around to you in the SB should you be in a raise/fold situation here? I'm thinking this one may be read dependent, ie, raise/fold more against tight players but check stuff like Qxs against LP's.

BTW, before you do, I have the wonderful 6max baby steps thread saved.

Redd
09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Question 1: While the board is important, this generally depends more on your opponent. And your hole cards. IMO it's way too situational to say 'always lead' or otherwise, and you're best off examining situations as they come up by posting hands.

Question 2: I basically always open with a raise from SB if I'm playing.

jrz1972
09-22-2005, 02:14 PM
1. If it's just me and SB, and SB checks to me, I will usually bet first and look at the flop second. If I get called I will reevaluate, but SB's weak open-limp preflop and his flop check often means that he's willing to give up the pot uncontested. Of course, this is in the micros where SB is likely to not be very good and is unlikely to be setting me up for a play later on.

2. I don't automatically open-raise from SB. There are two reasons for this. First, sometimes I have a hand that I want to see the flop with, but I want to get in for cheap (like 65s, for example). If BB has a very low PFR but a high VP (he'll call if I raise but won't raise if I limp), I might as well just call and see a cheap flop. Second, I've found that against many opponents, a "delayed steal" works pretty well. If you raise from the SB, villain puts his "blind defense" hat on and will play back at you almost randomly. On the other hand, if I just call from the SB and bet the flop, that same villain will frequently give it up without a fight. Don't get me wrong; I very often raise in these spots. But there are circumstances where just calling is okay too.

MrWookie47
09-22-2005, 02:16 PM
1: If the SB open-completes, I'm betting any flop when checked to in all but the most special of circumstances. You're getting 2:1 on your money, and the SB has told you twice that he doesn't like his hand all that much.

2: Against certain opponents - the loose, passive ones you encounter quite often, I've found that open-completing and betting any flop can be more profitable than open raising.

@bsolute_luck
09-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Question 1: i'd have to have uber-mega crap in BB to NOT raise only because i'm not giving any hands a free look at the flop, i'll win a lot of times simply because of this raise. and no, i don't ALWAYS bet when checked to on flops in this situation.

it depends on the board texture and what is in my hand and SB. if the board is, say 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif i will because people always fear the Ace, but if it is something like 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif, and assuming i have something like 4/images/graemlins/spade.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, no because he could easily have a 7 and be afraid of the Jack, but not enough to fold or have a flush draw and stay in anyways or a T for the straight draw and again, stay in anyways.

car ramrod
09-22-2005, 02:18 PM
I would bet the 2nd example 33K everytime. The TT7 I would not. SB will connect with the TT7 hand far more often than the 33K.

I tend to raise more often when its folded to me in SB, but depending on the player, a good play is to complete, then lead the flop no matter what comes.

MrWookie47
09-22-2005, 02:26 PM
After someone open-completes, it's very rare to have them fold to your raise. Thus, you're hoping to pick it up on the flop. You end up risking 2 bets to win 3, whereas checking and betting any flop when checked to risks one bet to win two. The former has to work much more often than the latter in order to have the same EV, and in my experience it doesn't. We've had this debate before, however.

@bsolute_luck
09-22-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After someone open-completes, it's very rare to have them fold to your raise. Thus, you're hoping to pick it up on the flop. You end up risking 2 bets to win 3, whereas checking and betting any flop when checked to risks one bet to win two. The former has to work much more often than the latter in order to have the same EV, and in my experience it doesn't. We've had this debate before, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's always fun to tread it again. i'm thick-headed so it takes more than once /images/graemlins/grin.gif

what hands would you raise from BB after SB merely completes? yes my range is wide, but it isn't maniacal (is that a word?). basically it is any hand i would open-raise from Button. i didn't mean for it to sound "i'm raising to fold him preflop". i meant my raise preflop wins me a flop that i completely miss quite frequently.

this isn't an ALWAYS either. part of my posting was a comment on SB. loose/passive i frequently just check when i have a solid read of them postflop.

as far as blinds wars go and comparing -+EV: i just like to win /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jrz1972
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what hands would you raise from BB after SB merely completes? yes my range is wide, but it isn't maniacal (is that a word?). basically it is any hand i would open-raise from Button.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW that's more or less my range too. I figure a raise with those hands gives you fold equity but also is for value against most hands SB would open-complete with.