PDA

View Full Version : Something that would completely ruin my faith

vulturesrow
09-22-2005, 01:38 PM
I discovered this book today that I plan on reading.

HEre is the Amazon link: The Singularity is Near (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0670033847/qid=1127263326/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3044875-5964008?v=glance&s=books&n=507846/marginalrevol-20)

Were this singularity to come about, I would no longer have any reason to believe God, barring a direct revelation from God himself. Here is a description of the book:

The great inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil is one of the best-known and most controversial advocates for the role of machines in the future of humanity. In his latest book, he envisions an event—the "singularity"—in which technological change becomes so rapid and so profound that our bodies and brains will merge with our machines.

The Singularity Is Near portrays what life will be like after this event— a human- machine civilization where our experiences shift from real reality to virtual reality and where our intelligence becomes nonbiological and trillions of times more powerful. In practical terms, this means that human aging and pollution will be reversed; world hunger will be solved; our bodies and environment transformed by nanotechnology to overcome the limitations of biology, including death; and virtually any physical product can be created from information alone. The Singularity Is Near also considers the social and philosophical ramifications of these changes, and is certain to be one of the most widely discussed and provocative books of 2005.

Here is a link to the blog post that led me to this book. It has some good links in it related to the book.

Is the Singularity Near? (http://www.marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2005/09/the_singularity.html)

chezlaw
09-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Why would that make any difference to whether you believe in god or not?

chez

vulturesrow
09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would that make any difference to whether you believe in god or not?

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Call it a corollary to David's creating a conscious computer.

BluffTHIS!
09-22-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a human- machine civilization where our experiences shift from real reality to virtual reality and where our intelligence becomes nonbiological and trillions of times more powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the time for belief/unbelief will be over then because that is a description of HELL.

DougShrapnel
09-22-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually the time for belief/unbelief will be over then because that is a description of HELL.

[/ QUOTE ] The Bible state that Jesus has preached to the spirits in hell before, what makes you think he wouldn't do it again?

sexdrugsmoney
09-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Science Fiction has been talking about Cyborgs and Androids for years, and given that humans currently have prosthetic limbs for accidents etc, it's only natural that once technology advanced to the point where machinery and/or cloned parts could replace defective ones that that technology would be implemented, at a price ofcourse. (despite all human progress, capitalism seems to be a staple)

Although I haven't read this book, from the description it seems probable that humans would eventually follow this path, though if the author truly believes world hunger will be stopped sometime in the future I would hope that this book is placed in the 'fantasy' section of all bookstores. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, regarding a loss of faith because of this supposed coming 'singularity', I would advise you to perhaps consider what the Book of Revelation may have to say about a few of these things.

-5DM /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bigdaddydvo
09-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Didn't they do a whole Matrix Trilogy to explain this?