PDA

View Full Version : comp sci students out there?

meleader2
09-22-2005, 01:17 PM
i'm taking the last and final class for my major, CSE421 operating systems. the professor, needless to say, is an idiot. the code was all written by a diff professor that is long gone and she is giving us projects that are beyond difficult.

she is not allowed to give us hard copies of code, and in fact has us hand copy down bits and pieces of code for our project that we are supposed to be writing. we're working with nachOS if anyone is wondering.

it's due october 4th and i only have the code she's given us to work with. anyone else doing this or has done this willing to ... do anything?

SL__72
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
What is your project exactly?

meleader2
09-22-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we have to write system operations for reading/writing files using C. threads are somewhere in there with semaphores too. it's strange, we're given LITTLE bits and pieces each week so we can never actually start working on it until we get it all.

jba
09-22-2005, 02:26 PM
why do you think anyone but the people who have taken this particular class at this particular school would know anything about this?

STLantny
09-22-2005, 02:30 PM
I dont understand what you would need help with? Writing code, or what? I can help you with any C quesions and such, but you have to give me an actual problem to deal with.

SL__72
09-22-2005, 02:44 PM
From the sound of it I took this same class at the UofM. I had a really good teacher when I took it though.

BradleyT
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we're working with nachOS if anyone is wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yum, nachos.

jaydub
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

we have to write system operations for reading/writing files using C. threads are somewhere in there with semaphores too. it's strange, we're given LITTLE bits and pieces each week so we can never actually start working on it until we get it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah nachos is used in a lot of OS classes. Are you having trouble with the code?

The file I/O operations shouldn't be too tough. Look at a BSD implementation if you get lost on a concept.

MrTrik
09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
When I took that course we had to enhance a Unix-like system that was deliberately modified to work without the concept of virtual memory. So we had to implement the OS pieces to do demand paging, a memory mapped file system, and the swapping system.

Needless to say, I think you have it easy. Good luck though.

SL__72
09-22-2005, 03:05 PM
That sounds like a more advanced class.

The project I remember from my class was to write a shell.

He also made us do a project using threads written in lisp...