PDA

View Full Version : CO with TT vs BB 3-bet PF and ATF, time to fold?

DonT77
09-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Full Tilt 5/10 game, 9-handed.

Folded to me in the CO with TT and I open-raise. Folded to unknown BB who just sat down at the table and he 3-bets, I call. The flop comes 853r. He bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call. The turn is an offsuit Q. He bets, I ...?

krimson
09-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Tough one. Raise and fold to a 3-bet? If he just calls and checks the river take a free showdown.

I'm thinking I could go a lot of directions on this hand, I don't think simply folding would be horrible here either.

SeaEagle
09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
My typical line against someone who just sat down is to see what he's holding and call down to SD. Besides, your implied odds are 4-1 and I'd guess you're good at least 20% of the time.

I'm a big fan of raising for a free showdown in general, but I really don't want to get 3-bet by this guy a 3rd time.

krimson
09-22-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My typical line against someone who just sat down is to see what he's holding and call down to SD. Besides, your implied odds are 4-1 and I'd guess you're good at least 20% of the time.

I'm a big fan of raising for a free showdown in general, but I really don't want to get 3-bet by this guy a 3rd time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling down makes sense. I would hate to fold this and then find out after an orbit or two this guy is 80/40/5 or something.

thesharpie
09-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Cap preflop dud

DonT77
09-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Okay, it seems that calling down is the most popular line here - but I almost clicked 'fold' until curiousity (and the size of the pot) got the best of me and I called down. I didn't know if I would be ahead here often enough to make calling down +EV, but I felt it was close enough that I wanted to see his cards.

Villian showed ATo; ace-high with T kicker.

sy_or_bust
09-22-2005, 02:52 PM
You really need to cap preflop.

DonT77
09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
You guys keep saying that, but what are your reasons for capping?

Most of the times with TT an overcard will come on the flop and I'll be in a semi-tough position - although most times I'll be betting or raising almost any flop. Is the idea that I'm 4-betting for value, or is it the added FE I expect to gain on my flop bet (something I like to call FFE - future folding equity), or is it something else completely?

krubban
09-22-2005, 03:07 PM
capping gets the control of the hand back to you plus that the blind probably thinks you're on a steal and his 3-betting range is huge.

SeaEagle
09-22-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is the idea that I'm 4-betting for value, or is it the added FE I expect to gain on my flop bet (something I like to call FFE - future folding equity), or is it something else completely?

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if you weren't getting the benefit of controlling the hand in position, TT is going to win this hand more than 50% of the time, so your raise is for value. Remember, villian doesn't need a huge hand to 3-bet you in this situation.

shant
09-22-2005, 03:13 PM
You cap because you have the best hand a whole shitload of the time and if the flop comes overs and he bets into you after you only called preflop you get all lame and want to fold when he could have complete air like A-high or K-high or a smaller pair.

sy_or_bust
09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Realize that an aware BB will 3-bet hands like A6o in this spot if you steal often and/or seem weak postflop. Certainly QJ/KJ, 55-99, etc. Plus you have position. You give up tons by not capping. You should be capping a lot worse than TT when you openraise from the CO.

DonT77
09-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Thanks guys!