PDA

View Full Version : $11: Slightly different AK preflop fold question

IdiotVig
09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=3468362&page=0&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14), Hero had the benefit of position. What about here, where you're UTG+1? Does the push-because-it's-the-11s mentality take over?

***** Hand History for Game 2752968415 *****
15/30 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 15951433) - Wed Sep 21 21:59:09 EDT 2005
Table Table 39794 (Real Money) -- Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: rkh3kazo8 (800)
Seat 2: FLKITTY (575)
Seat 3: WreckChased (800)
Seat 4: DD_562 (785)
Seat 5: geeeorgio (455)
Seat 6: buster3720 (800)
Seat 7: Craigdg (755)
Seat 8: ennailem (1520)
Seat 9: rjoseph (770)
Seat 10: F_Lindeman (740)
F_Lindeman posts small blind (10)
rkh3kazo8 posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to WreckChased [ Kc, Ac ]
FLKITTY folds.
WreckChased raises (50) to 50
DD_562 folds.
geeeorgio raises (455) to 455
geeeorgio is all-In.
buster3720 folds.
Craigdg folds.
ennailem folds.
rjoseph folds.
F_Lindeman folds.
rkh3kazo8 folds.
WreckChased...?

schwza
09-22-2005, 12:02 PM
i think this is a pretty clear call. when this happens and i don't remember how the guy lost his stack, i scroll the HH. if he donked off chips, it makes the call easier.

09-22-2005, 12:20 PM
I think the call depends on the villain's image. If he has been playing foolishly, then I agree, its a no brainer. If he is a solid player, but just took a bad beat earlier on, I think folding could be proper. The reasoning is that if he is a foolish player who had been loose with his chips all along, there is probably at least a 50 percent chance or more that you have him dominated, and that he is pushing with a marginal draw hand like aq or kq, etc. Then even if he has pockets, you still have a toss. However, if he is a solid player, it is pretty likely - probably about a 70 percent chance -- that he is pushing with middle or high pockets. Remember, you are not getting much better than even money, so the likely hood of a coin toss or only being a 60-40 favorite should cause pause here regardless.

TWINUNO
09-22-2005, 12:22 PM
most times i fold, if i see the oponent making a raise with any ace or calling down top pair with kj to a raise then this makes it alot easier of a call. Just sucks when hes pushing a pair and you dont catch up to win the race. I would call though there is a reason why he lost so many chips early on.

1C5
09-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Gladly call here.

Often be AJ AQ, KQ, 98o, etc.

pokerlaw
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
while it helps to know how villain got shortstacked, my standard play is to call here.

IdiotVig
09-22-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think this is a pretty clear call. when this happens and i don't remember how the guy lost his stack, i scroll the HH. if he donked off chips, it makes the call easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the third hand of the tourney. On the first hand, villain raised preflop, and led all the way for small amounts until the river, where a paired card that produced a three-flush hit the board, and was raised all-in. Villain mucked. Not sure if that would make a difference in this case.

It sounds like the moral of the story is that this kind of situation early-on is very player-dependent. There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm sure.

schwza
09-22-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the third hand of the tourney. On the first hand, villain raised preflop, and led all the way for small amounts until the river, where a paired card that produced a three-flush hit the board, and was raised all-in. Villain mucked. Not sure if that would make a difference in this case.

It sounds like the moral of the story is that this kind of situation early-on is very player-dependent. There's a lesson in there somewhere, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's also a big difference between A raises, B pushes, action to you and you raise, B pushes. there is one fewer villain, and your pot odds are way better.