PDA

View Full Version : Greatest War Movie of All Time - Round Two

swede123
09-22-2005, 10:43 AM
A few upsets in round one. The most notable one; Enemy at the Gates beating Zulu. Oh well, the people have spoken, and lets move on to round two. Look for more tough matchups. I'm personally going to struggle with Glory vs. Black Hawk Down. Clearly Glory is a better picture but still, it'll be hard to vote against one of my favorite recent movies...

cadillac1234
09-22-2005, 10:48 AM
I knew Thin Red Line was doomed to die in round 1

Looks like the end of the line for Master and Commander as well but there is no way I can vote for it against AN.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 10:48 AM
FMJ vs. Dirty Dozen? Wow.

FWIW this was the worst seeding yet. I know you're using ratings or whatever, but there were 1 seeds I've never even heard of. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

swede123
09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

FWIW this was the worst seeding yet. I know you're using ratings or whatever, but there were 1 seeds I've never even heard of. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be ashamed of yourself if you don't at least know each of the one seeds. Some of the two and three seeds were a bit obscure but the four one seeds are pretty much widely regarded as great movies, by critics and the public alike. Now get busy catching up on your war movie watching!

Swede

diebitter
09-22-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only one I was really torn over. Can't believe 'where eagles dare' didn't make it.

swede123
09-22-2005, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only one I was really torn over. Can't believe 'where eagles dare' didn't make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was interesting that two great Allistair McLean novel-movies ended up matched up in round one. I agree Where Eagles Dare is better than The Guns of Navarone.

Swede

RunDownHouse
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
YOU PEOPLE ARE VOTING FOR A JUDE LAW MOVIE OVER PATTON! PATTON! Christ, what is wrong with you? Enemy shouldn't have gotten out of the first round.

SL__72
09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Poor Tae Guk Gik... such a good movie but I'm sure very few have seen it since its foriegn. The Longest Day is a tough matchup anyway.

SL__72
09-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I voted for it in the first round because I honestly didn't really like Zulu... I don't see why its getting votes over Patton other then maybe more people have seen it?

Whats wrong with Jude Law though?

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted for it in the first round because I honestly didn't really like Zulu... I don't see why its getting votes over Patton other then maybe more people have seen it?

Whats wrong with Jude Law though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's never heard of Patton? Wtf?

And Jude law as a sniper? They might as well have cast Elijiah Wood. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

diebitter
09-22-2005, 11:12 AM
I've only just noticed Zulu didn't get in either!

It's gonna be 'American Pie' again. I'm guessing Black Hawk Down.

What's next, greatest gangster films won by Ocean's Eleven?

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

RunDownHouse
09-22-2005, 11:14 AM
If you don't know what's wrong with casting Jude Law in the lead of a war movie, I don't think I can help you. I do agree that its probably winning because the teenie-bopper crowd has never seen Patton.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've only just noticed Zulu didn't get in either!

It's gonna be 'American Pie' again. I'm guessing Black Hawk Down.

What's next, greatest gangster films won by Ocean's Eleven?

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked Blackhawk down. Crappy movie in many ways, but as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

swede123
09-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Why do people say this? We did a greatest comedy poll a while back and the final four were Caddyshack, Office Space, Holy Grail and Princess Bride. Ultimately Caddyshack ended up beating Office Space by a nose, but American Pie was nowhere near the top.

Swede

Xelent
09-22-2005, 11:22 AM
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point. Personlly, I like Apoc Now, The Great Escape, and Full Metal Jacket best, and I have seen all of these.

fnord_too
09-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Group two is going to have the toughest round 3 I think. The 1, 2, and 3 seeds are the strongest set of three left. Great Escape v. Stalag 17 will be an interesting match up.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is up against Glory. Matthew Broderick is as Jude Law.ridiculous as

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great Escape v. Stalag 17 will be an interesting match up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. I'm torn. I'm sure the GE will win due to sheer starpower.

swede123
09-22-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a pointless "tournament". Most of the posters are young and have never seen more than half of these movies and the idea of voting for Black Hawk Down to make it to the 3rd round of any good movie list proves my point. Personlly, I like Apoc Now, The Great Escape, and Full Metal Jacket best, and I have seen all of these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, of course I realize this whole thing will be skewed by people's ignorance (my own included, out of the 64 there's a good ten or so I have never seen) about the older movies. In the end, however, I bet it'll come down to some classics, just like the previous polls have.

Swede

ScottyP431
09-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Casting Jude Law was an exceptional act of film making. Perhaps on par with the brilliance of casting Mathew Broderick as the lead in glory. Neither fits the stereotype for their role because they aren't supposed to.

If the poll had been like, opening speech of patton vs enemy at the gates, i would have voted patton. If it had been ditka vs enemy at the gates, i would have voted ditka, even if it was some kind of mini ditka. Maybe im just a commie

MonkeeMan
09-22-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Even with all the techno-goodies, the fog sets in.

We Were Soldiers Once had this in the book, but I was very disappointed in the movie.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as accurate a depiction of the "fog of war" as I've seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Even with all the techno-goodies, the fog sets in.

We Were Soldiers Once had this in the book, but I was very disappointed in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

and the first scene of pvt ryan.

BottlesOf
09-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Full Metal Jacket vs. Dirty Dozen, that's not fair!!!!

DD is so good, but FMJ has way more mass appeal I can't imagine DD advancing even though it deserves to.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DD is so good, but FMJ has way more mass appeal

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought just the opposite! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

samjjones
09-22-2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.djfl.de/entertainment/djfl/1010/101420b2.jpg

Men, all this stuff you've heard about America not wanting to fight - wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of horse dung. Americans traditionally love to fight. All real Americans love the sting of battle. When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, big league ball players, the toughest boxers. Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser. Americans play to win all the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost and never will lose a war, because the very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.

diebitter
09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
2 points:

1) You do often arrive late though, once us Brits have softened em up.
2) VIETNAM

samjjones
09-22-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
VIETNAM

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, obviously this happened after the events of the movie took place...it is a great speech nonetheless.

diebitter
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Oh my bad. I thought this was you, not a speech.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by once us Brits have softened em up, you mean just in time to save our Brit asses, then yes. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

diebitter
09-22-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If by once us Brits have softened em up, you mean just in time to save our Brit asses, then yes. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confusing us with the French - please don't, we are known for our sense of humour, but there are limits, old bean.

Tom1975
09-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I predict FMJ walks away with it.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're confusing us with the French

[/ QUOTE ]

I could never do that. The French are the ones with the hot women. You're the ones that were getting blown into dust. Although to your credit, I'm pretty sure you woudln't be speaking German. You'd all have died first.

swede123
09-22-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see FMJ and Pvt. Ryan in the final. Also, good to see the Glory fans coming out to vote, Black Hawk Down was doing way too well early on in this round.

Swede

Cancuk
09-22-2005, 01:40 PM
the four people who voted for 'master and commander' instead of apocalypse now, should be stoned.

cheers

BottlesOf
09-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I don't know how you can honestly believe that. The second part I mean. This board is frequented mostly by college age people and 20 somethings. Far more of these people know and like FMJ. Many here probably have never heard of Lee Marvin.

MonkeeMan
09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the four people who voted for 'master and commander' instead of apocalypse now, should be keelhauled.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

MonkeeMan
09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You do often arrive late though, once us Brits have softened em up.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were early at Lexington and Concord though. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shajen
09-22-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the four people who voted for 'master and commander' instead of apocalypse now, should be stoned.

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't smoke, but I voted for Master and Commander. Mainly because I think two things:

1) the movie is extremely overrated

2) Brando cannot act.

<font color="white">And no, I don't give a [censored] about what anyone else thinks. This is my opinion. I'll wipe my ass with yours. </font>

RunDownHouse
09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't smoke, but I voted for Master and Commander. Mainly because I think two things:

2) Brando cannot act.

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't the most important criteria be which movie in the pairing is better? I agree that some movies on this list of 64 are very overrated, but that doesn't really impact how good they are.

Shajen
09-22-2005, 02:35 PM
My criteria is which movie would I rather watch if I had to chose between the two.

Having seen both of those movies, I would rather watch M&amp;C.

SL__72
09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't even rate master and commander "good." Apox now is a great film. Even if you don't like Brando, he is only on screen for what? 5-10% of the film?

Cancuk
09-22-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

2) Brando cannot act.

<font color="white">And no, I don't give a [censored] about what anyone else thinks. This is my opinion. I'll wipe my ass with yours. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Stoned: being made helpless and having many stones/rocks thrown at you.

Stoned.

Shajen
09-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I knew what you meant, I just chose to go a different route.

samjjones
09-22-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even rate master and commander "good." Apox now is a great film. Even if you don't like Brando, he is only on screen for what? 5-10% of the film?

[/ QUOTE ]
It is tediously slow in parts, and is difficult to watch. I am not saying its not a great movie, but it is not something I toss in the DVD player every month to watch. Now "Road House", on the other hand...

CCass
09-22-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I forsee a final of AN vs FMJ.

Rockatansky
09-22-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I knew Thin Red Line was doomed to die in round 1

Looks like the end of the line for Master and Commander as well but there is no way I can vote for it against AN.

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as the first poll was listed, it was inevitable that The Thin Red Line either wouldn't be included or would suffer an embarassing loss in the first round. I almost wish that people would stop posting polls about things that are even semi-serious, because they always turn out to be a complete and utter joke.

private joker
09-22-2005, 06:06 PM
People shouldn't be voting if they haven't seen both movies in the category. This is the only reason Saving Private Ryan is beating Gallipoli. Nobody has seen the awesomeness that is Gallipoli.

Dynasty
09-22-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis (http://sounds.wavcentral.com/movies/full_metal/like_you.mp3)

cadillac1234
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is tediously slow in parts, and is difficult to watch. I am not saying its not a great movie, but it is not something I toss in the DVD player every month to watch. Now "Road House", on the other hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch...

Master and Commander is easily in my top 10 films of the past 10 years. Very well done, polished movie with an almost perfect atmosphere.

Rick Nebiolo
09-22-2005, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
People shouldn't be voting if they haven't seen both movies in the category. This is the only reason Saving Private Ryan is beating Gallipoli. Nobody has seen the awesomeness that is Gallipoli.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree about the poll but not sure you can vote for a subset of questions. Liked Saving Private Ryan but will check out Gallipoli.

I wasted some of my time at your website. You didn't have to thank me. A couple of questions:

How do you rate an .org? I thought you had to be some sort of charity or organization.

In your other post you rated "Casualties of War" highly. Were you kidding?

~ Rick

PS I thought "Raise the Red Lantern" is pretty good for a relatively unknown movie.

private joker
09-22-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I wasted some of my time at your website. You didn't have to thank me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, you must be bored.

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of questions:

How do you rate an .org? I thought you had to be some sort of charity or organization.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can get a .org. You just pay for the suffix like you pay for a .com or .net. It's actually cheaper than .com. Plus, I'm a non-profit site, so there's no reason for it to be commercial.

[ QUOTE ]
In your other post you rated "Casualties of War" highly. Were you kidding?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I explained my love for DePalma pretty well. He's not for everyone, but taken in the context of Blow Out, Mission: Impossible, Carlito's Way, The Untouchables, Scarface, and Femme Fatale, it's hard for me to dislike him or his movies (except Mission To Mars, which sucks).

[ QUOTE ]

PS I thought "Raise the Red Lantern" is pretty good for a relatively unknown movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you saw it. Check out his other great films like To Live, Ju Dou, The Road Home, and House of Flying Daggers.

swede123
09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Bump in case anyone missed voting. Might start round three later today.

Swede

HesseJam
09-26-2005, 05:01 AM
I like Paths of Glory best. It will not win though.

TheCroShow
09-26-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

master and commander is crap. no clue why it's included at all, but hey...some people enjoy boring movies /images/graemlins/wink.gif

swede123
09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

master and commander is crap. no clue why it's included at all, but hey...some people enjoy boring movies /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All from the guy with a Dawson's Creek avatar...

Swede