PDA

View Full Version : How much alcohol do you drink and is that a problem?

gulebjorn
09-22-2005, 08:25 AM
Since I'm wondering if I have an alcohol problem, I wanna hear what you guys think.

How much do you drink, and how much is too much?

One unit of alcohol = a beer, a shot of whisky/tequila/vodka/whatever, a glass of wine etc... Long drinks (if they contain enough alcohol) and heavy beers are two units.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 08:27 AM
5-10 for me. How much is problematic depends on the person and the circumstances. I should probably drink less, but it is not at all problematic.

gulebjorn
09-22-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5-10 for me. How much is problematic depends on the person and the circumstances. I should probably drink less, but it is not at all problematic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see that the question was how much do you drink in a week? You really think 10 beers a week is too much???

steelcmg
09-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I usually only drink on friday and sat but then i drink about 12 beers each night. I really only think drinking is a problem when u start thinking about drinking all the time and start putting drinking ahead of more important things. If u have time to kill each night i see no problem drinking 6+ beers as long as u can go to work the next morning

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 09:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you see that the question was how much do you drink in a week? You really think 10 beers a week is too much???

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally drink one or two pretty much everyday after work, and a couple a day on weekends. I'm married w/ kids so I don't really go out and drink a lot at once too often. But I don't think drinking everyday is really a good thing. As I said, it's not particularly problematic or anything. I'm not saying i'm a lush or anything, but yeah, I could stand to drink a little less often.

xadrez
09-22-2005, 09:41 AM
An alcoholic is technically someone who once they take on sip of alcohol, cannot stop drinking until they are totally smashed or blacked out. In fact, my grandfather was an alcoholic and he would sometimes go several weeks without drinking.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
An alcoholic is technically someone who once they take on sip of alcohol, cannot stop drinking until they are totally smashed or blacked out. In fact, my grandfather was an alcoholic and he would sometimes go several weeks without drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. A lot of alcoholics are binge drinkers. I think there are different kinds of alcoholics though. Some are binge drinkers. Some drink constantly but never seem to get really shitfaced.

mason55
09-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I actually don't drink at all during the week. Then friday and saturday I usually drink until I can't remember my name (20+). I should probably stop.

steelcmg
09-22-2005, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea. A lot of alcoholics are binge drinkers. I think there are different kinds of alcoholics though. Some are binge drinkers. Some drink constantly but never seem to get really shitfaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure i fall into the binge drinker type because i get smashed when i drink on the weekends.

steelcmg
09-22-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I actually don't drink at all during the week. Then friday and saturday I usually drink until I can't remember my name (20+). I should probably stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope u dont drink 20+ of that nasty ass steel reserve. I use to drink that all the time when i was younger Hence the same steel. But then i started relizing it is one of the worst tasting beers i have ever had and its 10000 times worse once it starts to get warm.

RunDownHouse
09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
I think a much more practical definition of alcoholism is when it starts interfering with your life. If your drinking is harming your social life, your job, you relationship with your family, etc, yet you continue, you're an alcoholic.

I have anywhere from 0-8 drinks M-Th. Occasionally I won't have any beers after work; sometimes I'll have quite a few. Fridays I probably have 12 or so, and Saturday and Sunday are generally all-day drink fests while watching football. Its actually starting to impact my health, so I've been cutting back lately.

jakethebake
09-22-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a much more practical definition of alcoholism is when it starts interfering with your life. If your drinking is harming your social life, your job, you relationship with your family, etc, yet you continue, you're an alcoholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I kind of agree with it, this definition leads to problems. For instance, the alcoholic that drinks continually but doesn't get really drunk. No problems for 200 years, then he wakes up with no liver one day. Or the guy that binge drinks on the weekends. He's been doing it for years with no problems...until the night something really bad happens.

SL__72
09-22-2005, 10:17 AM
I thought I read that most men can drink 2-3 drinks a day before the alcohal starts having negative long term effects. Now if you drink all 14-21 drinks on the weekend then it isn't good.

RunDownHouse
09-22-2005, 10:26 AM
I guess I focused more on behavioral issues than physical effects. Everyone knows that more than a couple drinks is harmful; not everyone who has more than a couple drinks is an alky.

gulebjorn
09-22-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have anywhere from 0-8 drinks M-Th. Occasionally I won't have any beers after work; sometimes I'll have quite a few. Fridays I probably have 12 or so, and Saturday and Sunday are generally all-day drink fests while watching football. Its actually starting to impact my health, so I've been cutting back lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same habit of drinking a few beers in the evening, or a bottle of wine at dinner, plus going out in the weekends. I wonder what kind of damage this causes to my heart/liver/brain before I'm going to start noticing the consequences...

SackUp
09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
There is a time and place for everything.

During undergrad I was definitely an alcoholic by most definitions for the amount of alcohol I drank. It was much more of a social thing. I loved drinking games. I definitely drank a crapload though.

After undergrad I have slowed down to the point of non existence. I'll have a drink every now and then and I'll go big every now and then but for the most part i don't drink much at all.

I think it is a problem if you are just getting sh1tfaced every weekend and you are over the age of 30.

RunDownHouse
09-22-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a problem if you are just getting sh1tfaced every weekend and you are over the age of 30.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that a problem?

Is someone just fine if they smoke in their 20's, but once they hit 30, they're a problem drug user for smoking a joint every weekend?