PDA

View Full Version : What was up with the table at the Aruba event

09-22-2005, 02:26 AM
So the 2005 Aruba event was replayed today on TV - and there was the weirdest thing going on with the table. From a lot of the camera shots, you could see 'UltimateBet.com' printed on the table above the community cards. For many other camera shots, they attempted to blur it out. But, here's the really weird part - for a number of the closeup shots of the dealer dealing the flop or later cards, there was absolutely nothing in that space. It wasn't blurred - it just wasn't there. Those shots, closeups of just the cards, were not done (some of them) at the same table that all the players were sitting at. I'm assuming they were done later. And why blur out (poorly) UltimateBet.com in some shots and not others? It's like the whole televised thing was cobbled together from three different pieces of footage...

bones
09-22-2005, 02:31 AM
They can show "ultimatebet.net", but not .com.

Prime Time
09-22-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So the 2005 Aruba event was replayed today on TV - and there was the weirdest thing going on with the table. From a lot of the camera shots, you could see 'UltimateBet.com' printed on the table above the community cards. For many other camera shots, they attempted to blur it out. But, here's the really weird part - for a number of the closeup shots of the dealer dealing the flop or later cards, there was absolutely nothing in that space. It wasn't blurred - it just wasn't there. Those shots, closeups of just the cards, were not done (some of them) at the same table that all the players were sitting at. I'm assuming they were done later. And why blur out (poorly) UltimateBet.com in some shots and not others? It's like the whole televised thing was cobbled together from three different pieces of footage...

[/ QUOTE ]

This was 2004 not 2005.
2005 starts next week.

Zetack
09-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I hadn't seen this one before. But my impression of Mike Matusow is that here's a guy who is awfully close to a breakdown.

Anybody know how close this event was to the legal troubles he ran into?

I also can't believe that this persecution complex is good for his game, his fine performance in the main event this year not-withstanding.

--Zetack

Kevmath
09-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Matusow pled guilty in August 2004, the Aruba final table was Oct. 1, he was sentenced on Oct. 7.

09-23-2005, 01:50 AM
So what's the explanation for the close up shots of the board, where there's nothing printed, and nothing greyed out... just obviously a different table. They actually reshot the closeup table shots in some cases but not others? Why?

Photoc
09-23-2005, 02:08 AM
Because it said Ultimate Bet.COM not .net. The overhead shots were just edited, the angled and side shots had to be blurred. Can't show .COM gambling sites on US tv.

PS: use the search, this was discussed at great length not very long ago.

MicroBob
09-23-2005, 02:48 AM
didn't watch the episode closely enough....but it's also possible that IF some of the shots were 'staged' later that it wsa because it was too difficult to blur the image.

This could have happened if the dealer's arm crossed over the blur....or if there was an all-in where the cards were situated on or near the blur. They couldn't have pulled it off because the blur would have been too obvious and intrusive in this case.

Of course, since we didn't see the ORIGINAL shot we don't really know if this was he case behind using the original-footage-with-blur for some shots while using staged-at-a-blank-table and edited in later for other shots.

Zetack
09-23-2005, 11:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Matusow pled guilty in August 2004, the Aruba final table was Oct. 1, he was sentenced on Oct. 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, so he may indeed have been feeling additional pressure. He really looked out there.

--Zetack

Marc Desjardins
09-23-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a very stupid question, but if he was in the middle of this legal procedure, how come he was allowed to leave the country??

Kevmath
09-23-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd assume he had some sort of deal with the prosecutor when he pled.