PDA

View Full Version : How many people actually make money playing poker?

09-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Hello, my first post here. I was just wondering what percentage of players actually make money playing poker, I have heard anywhere from 4 to 15%. Which one is closer to being correct? I being one of the few that do make money wonder just how privileged I should feel. heh. thank you!

Sniper
09-22-2005, 01:27 AM
If you do a search on the forums, you'll find several recent threads on this topic.

stabn
09-22-2005, 04:04 PM

4_2_it
09-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Can you keep a secret? Actually, I am the only one.

bholdr
09-22-2005, 04:48 PM
I'd guess tat about 7% of poker players ae long-term winners, and another 5-7% are effectivly break even.

on the internet, however, perhaps 15% of players are profitable, the difference being due to bonus money, rakeback, and so on... those break-even players can show a healthy profit by exploiting promotional offers and affiliate programs, etc.

Edge34
09-22-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I being one of the few that do make money wonder just how privileged I should feel. heh. thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]

So you make a new account, and your first post is to "brag" about the fact that you supposedly (we don't know you, haven't seen stats, and probably just don't care) make money playing cards.

Whoop-de-freaking-doo for you. You want a cookie or something? This is not a good way to start your time here if you plan on sticking around at all.

Quicksilvre
09-22-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard anywhere from 4 to 15%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not an unreasonable range, though four percent sounds a tad low.

09-22-2005, 11:25 PM
someone must be in a bad mood. I was asking a question and wanted an answer, if you look deeper into the question then go for it, but don't "try" to make me look like an ass when there is no reason to.

whiskeytown
09-23-2005, 02:55 AM
if you believe everything you read, the entire 2+2 community is winning and everyone else is losing -

Know that thing from "The Shawshank Redemption" - "We're all innocent here?" - well, in this prison, we're all winners and +EV - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

the best guesstimate I've heard is about 10% make a living - making money has got to be higher....provided you're not playing for a living - I would guestimate about 30%

RB

dibbs
09-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Asking around here will tell you that like 70% of players are loosers.

Warren Whitmore
09-23-2005, 06:59 AM
"What percentage of players actually make money playing poker."

If you mean by this What percentage of players actually make money playing poker? (anything greater than 1 cent) I come up with 25%. This number is based on a $10/hr rake (which makes the mean -$10) and a standard deviation of between 10 and 18 big bets per hour. Than calculating the number of players at each limit based on the distribution at foxwoods and paradise poker.

If you mean how many people make more than $30/hr I come up with a figure of 2.5%

If you mean how many people make "how wo make $100 000 a year Gambling for a living" by sklansky & Malmuth I come up with a figure of 0.7%

09-23-2005, 10:18 AM
I can assure you that for online players, the correct answer is 7%. No I don't have a link. Live, no idea.

Edge34
09-23-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
someone must be in a bad mood. I was asking a question and wanted an answer, if you look deeper into the question then go for it, but don't "try" to make me look like an ass when there is no reason to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing bro, welcome to the boards and all...this is a great place to learn, and you had an ok question, even though its been discussed many times before and there's no way to actually know the answer. I was in a bad mood, maybe I went off, but you really can't just come in acting like you're all the [censored] and expect to get anything out of this.

So my bad, just think about it. Like Whiskey said though, around here you will get a lot of people who claim to be winners and aren't, at least not to the estent many will claim. Best of luck.

benfranklin
09-23-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but don't "try" to make me look like an ass when there is no reason to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first post was of little value and showed that you didn't do your homework before posting. Your second post is resentful of having that pointed out to you.

Few people "try" to make anyone look like an ass around here. They do, however, take great delight in pointing out the obvious. If the horseshoe fits, wear it. Welcome to the forums.

jakethebake
09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say 4, but it could be 3.

09-23-2005, 07:26 PM
For what its worth, my Pokertracker database has about 50k hands recorded and 3,500 different players, almost all from Ultimate Bet, and 61% are losers while 39% are winners. Of course this is terribly unreliable and the vast majority have less than 500 hands logged, but I was wondering what the numbers were for anyone else?

Roy Munson
09-23-2005, 10:08 PM
I read an article a couple of months ago on ESPN.com where the author wrote that he spoke with representatives from two of the larger online rooms(he named neither his source nor the rooms). The representatives claimed that they monitor wins and losses for each of their players and that only 7% of their total player base are profitable since opening their accounts.

This number included those that were barely profitable.

AceHigh
09-23-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering what percentage of players actually make money playing poker

[/ QUOTE ]

A poll of their wives and girlfriends found 100% of poker players make money.

SomethingClever
09-24-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I read an article a couple of months ago on ESPN.com where the author wrote that he spoke with representatives from two of the larger online rooms(he named neither his source nor the rooms). The representatives claimed that they monitor wins and losses for each of their players and that only 7% of their total player base are profitable since opening their accounts.

This number included those that were barely profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the only accurate piece of information ever in a Jackpot Jay column.

rigoletto
09-24-2005, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For what its worth, my Pokertracker database has about 50k hands recorded and 3,500 different players, almost all from Ultimate Bet, and 61% are losers while 39% are winners. Of course this is terribly unreliable and the vast majority have less than 500 hands logged, but I was wondering what the numbers were for anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

All pokertracker databases converge at around 40/60. This is because pokertracker reflects a short term distribution (you only have a few hands on the wast majority of players). If you take 1000 players who are documented losers at -1BB/100 hands and an SD of 12BB you will get appr. the same 40/60 distribution over 100 hand sample per player.

JonPKibble
09-24-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wait until someone tells you to "SIIHP" and that "YSSCKY"

M2d
09-25-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

I was going to say 4, but it could be 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
ray zee is retired

Instinct
09-26-2005, 04:45 AM
Who the hell knows. Surely not me.
Ask David Schlanky and Mason. The understand dolphins and birds.
David surely does.
All I know is that poker is like golf. Its just started. TV coverige will get the poker boom going. not really sure why its taking so damn long as poker really is " KILLER POKER" as Helmuth ande Paul P. would put it.

09-26-2005, 12:00 PM
At least 50% percent of players are winners in the long run.

MarkL444
09-27-2005, 05:52 AM
its <15%, thats for sure

benfranklin
09-27-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to argue with that kind of in-depth research and documentation. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gila
09-28-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking it was closer to 100% Doesn't everybody win? In the long run that is, obvioulsy in the short term it is possilbe to lose once in a great while.

malorum
10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
It's absolutely impossible to make money playing poker.
It's just a game of chance /images/graemlins/shocked.gif