PDA

View Full Version : OT: dell can die laptop problem, what should my setup be?

chisness
09-21-2005, 10:54 PM
so 4 months ago i got an inspiron 9300 figuring it could fit 4 tables without overlap and i'd use it to play occasionally

i decided i'd take it to school this year since my desktop had been acting up (shutting down randomly) and it had 2 monitor ports, so it'd be perfect for 12 tabling with 2 external monitors

i soon find out that despite having 2 ports, the video card can only support 2 total monitors, any combination of the 3, but not all 3 at once

i call dell and they tell me indeed only 2 can be used at a time, but if i get the XPS G 2 for about $3000 the 6800 ultra card will allow for this

i figure this seems good, having a portable laptop and 12 tabling capabilities at school is pretty awesome

today it arrives and the video card software will still only let me do 2 monitors

so i call dell, i get to talk to a woman who says im in dimension support but she'll transfer me, so i get to dimensino support again, and again, and AGAIN, then i ask for supervisor who says i've reached my maximum allowed transfers and gives me a number to call

now i'm on hold for the correct department and am weighing 2 options:

1) get rid of the xps and use old laptop with some sort of extra video card to support extra monitor (is this even possible?)

2) get rid of both laptops (maybe dell will take back the old one for all this trouble, if not sell on ebay) and get a new desktop and use an old CRT with 2 LCDs (where's a good place for desktops OTHER than dell?)