PDA

View Full Version : Bad read or poor play?

Play Tight
05-09-2003, 01:27 PM
This has happened to me in the past and probably will happen again in the future. There is a guy at the table that raises everyblind, no matter his whole cards, usually bets or raises turn and river and for the majority of the time never shows. His only wins are from bluffing people out of a couple of hands. I have seen him rebuy like 3 times and always with a smile, I like him at the table, he is growing huge pots and I have beat him like 6 out of 7 heads up hands.

Here is the hand in particular. I'm in the blind with AK Spades the shooter is one before the button and of course he raises sod I re-raise to get to heads up. Everyone dropped and and he called.

Flop comes AK3 (rainbowed but 3 was a spade.) I check top two knowing he will bet. He fires out and I checkraise we get into a shooting match firing chips at each other.

Turn brings an 8 of spades. I still have top pair and I'm putting him on either of the big cards with the outside shot of a lower second pair. I start feeling really confident with top two and nut flush re-draw. We fire about $40 each into the pot $5 at a time, until I just call his last raise.

River brings 9 of hearts. So no flush or straights and I have top two. Based on his play for the last hour or two I figure I have this one in the bag and bet out and once again we get into a raise and re-raise shooting match for about $35. I call his last raise and and show my top two expecting him not to even show. He, in a very cocky and [censored] eating grin way says "nice try" and shows pocket 3's giving trips to kick me to the curb.

This put me back for a few minutes but because of his play all night I never put him on this hand. I really never expected to see this walking ATM to show his cards. I guess I'll chalk this up to the old addage "Even a blind Squirrel finds a nut once in awhile." It took another 40 minutes or so and I had gotten my money back from him probably plus a little more so it didn't break me but I think this gave me one hell of a lesson to think about.

Barry
05-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Many (but not all) maniacs slow down when you play back at them, especially on the turn when the bets get bigger. When he doesn't slow down, you've got to give him credit for a big hand. When he 4-bets the turn I'd slow down and check/call the river.

Bob T.
05-09-2003, 04:50 PM
First, how do you make a read on this guy, he plays anything, and everything. You can't.

Second, clearly, he will go broke without the nuts, because you could have had AA, or KK, here, and he wouldn't have known the difference.

Finally, top two is a nice hand, but do you really want to go broke with it. Try and make some money, but I don't think you want to go quite this many bets with this hand.

I vote for poor play. Good for you that you got your money back.