PDA

View Full Version : Bad turn bet?

09-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Party 2/4NL. I have 500+, Villain covers. Dealt K10o in the BB. Folded around to Button, who makes it 12. SB calls, I call.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

SB checks, I check, Villain bets 17, SB folds, I check-raise to 34. Villain calls.

Turn ($104): 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet $75, Villain raises to $150, I fold.

My rationale behind the turn bet was that it would chase out any flush draw; the turn min-raise seemed weird to me, but I suppose it's obvious he flopped a set (prob 88). My question is, should I have bet less on the turn? I feel like I could have gotten the same information leading out for 30 instead of 75. Or is the line I took pretty standard?

Edit: No good read on Villain.

spoohunter
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Preflop call is obvious. Two out of the top five, it's gotta be a winner.

On the flop the min check raise is a work of art. Lets him call cause he's getting 'pot odds' with his flush draw, but when he misses you can just bet the turn and win all that money in the pot. If you raised more on the flop he'd be forced to fold his flush draw and not give you another $17.

Note, he who draws for straights and flushes goes home quick in cabs and busses.

Clearly, (this is obvious), anyone who raise you another $75 on the turn MUST have 888, it's made even more likely because he raised preflop. He raised to $12. That's a raise of $8 on top of your $4. $8 for 88. Also his bet ($12) and your blind ($4) = $16. 8+8 = 16. This is obvious.

Good fold. No wonder you were above $500.!

yvesaint
09-22-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Good fold. No wonder you were above $500.!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HoldEmKillah
09-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Ok. I'll answer seriously.

Fold preflop. You don't want to be in w/K10 OOP. If you do anything, reraise or fold.

Flop: lead for $25 or $30. If raised, fold. Checkraise is terrible because it just builds the pot for when you are behind and when you get called you still have no clue as to where you stand.

Since you c/r'd you screwed yourself because now you feel you have to show strength by betting again. So you bet, he raises, now you have to fold with all that wasted money in the pot. You spent $131 to find out if you were behind. By leading the flop, it would cost you less than $40...or just $4 by folding preflop.

Oh, and don't miniraise ANYTHING EVER unless:

1. you have a monster and want to build the pot against 2+opponents
2. You are in position with a big draw looking to build the pot for when you hit or see a free river card.

In summary, good turn fold /images/graemlins/tongue.gif